Thread: How to remove shea butter

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default How to remove shea butter

I´m in desperate need of your help, I put some shea butter in my hair and it wont get out
    I get this waxy feeling when it´s wet and every thing it touches gets waxy I´M LOSING IT PLEAS HELP!!!!

Length
    ??/24/30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: How to remove shea butter

Have you tried CO washing? Usually gets out most things for me!
    APL-BSL-MB-WL-HL --- (when wet) growing...

Length
    Pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

It might take a couple of tries but CO washing has worked better for me than shampoo for shea butter build up.
    I often get shea build up from the combination of products I use. After getting most of it out though, my hair is so so soft!

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I'll second the CO washing. Try diluting the conditioner you use on your head to help it work through, and do it twice. That said, when I used Suave Naturals Lavender & Lilac conditioner it left me with a sort of waxy feeling on my hair. None of the other Suave Naturals has done this, and I've used most of them by now!

Come to think of it, did you use 100% shea butter, or some of the blends that are actually mostly mineral oil or some sort of other stuff? If so, you may need to clarify then do a deep moisture treatment.

If the avove tips don't work, you may have to clarify somehow. Be SURE to condition the hair after clarifying the hair, in the same hair wash, though.

How much did you slather on and for what purpose?

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

To get stuff out of my hair I CO wash with an extreeeeemely cheap (doesn't smell that nice ) cone free conditioner, supermarket own brand. Use a tonne of the stuff but it always works and it's okay to use so much because it's so cheap.

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Drench your hair in really cheap cone-free conditioner then gently massage it in. Leave on for at least 20 minutes, maybe even more. Rinse VERY thoroughly. It may take more than one try because shea butter is very stubborn, but it will get out eventually.

For future reference, I recommend diluting your shea butter by mixing it with another oil (coconut, olive, jojoba, etc.) if you want to continue using it. That makes it MUCH easier to remove.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Clarify, ACV, then heavy CO.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I always have the same problem with Shea too (when will I learn?? ). CO didn't work for me though I like using it to remove EVOO. I find that I need to clarify with a shampoo to get it out, and even then it takes about 2 washes.

Use quite warm water, because shea butter solidifies when cold and this makes it harder to get out !

I'd try lots of Co (leave it on a little while) + warm water

or

Warm olive oil (will dilute the shea), massaged in hair as a treatment. Then shampoo, followed by a good co !