Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oiling in cold weather

Default Coconut oiling in cold weather

Ok, so in my neck of the woods coconut oil is always solid. I love soaking my hair in it overnight. I did my usual soak last night and it was scold in here my hair got hard. Not a surprise, my house was freezing. But I'm wondering if there is still a conditioning effect if it's hardened on your hair? Does it need to stay warm-ish to be effective?

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Coconut oiling in cold weather

I don't think so, Gracie-Rae. I think coconut oil's primary action is 're-fatting' the hair - it replaces lipids and oils you lose from washing. Where I am is quite cold, so my oil blend always hardens, but I still feel like I get an effect!

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I've used coconut oil on my hair a few times, the first time was when the house was cold and it hardened on my hair - had no conditioning effects, I was very disappointed.

The second time I applied it and left it on in a hot steamy shower so it didn't harden, and again it had no conditioning effects.

I think it's just my hair. What works for somebody may not work for another.

I think it does help to keep your hair warm when doing deep treatments though. Lets hope and expert chimes in here.
    Currently growing out dyed hair, and then it's on to waist
    Last dye - 10th December 2013, will cut at 5 inches of roots
    1 - 1.5 - 2 - 2.5 - 3 - 3.5 - 4 - 4.5 - 5

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I haven't had that problem. I guess my hair is always close enough to my body to keep the coconut oil from hardening even in the coldest weather. I've heard that the coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft in the presence of warm water, so when you rinse/wash it out, it should still benefit.

Length
    chin/bsl/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

If you don't like it to harden, mix it 50/50 with a liquid oil like EVOO.

Length
    sld/wst/cls
    Type
    3a/M/iii

when its solid because of cold, i use a blow dryer from distance, it works very good on me

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

For some reason the search here did not bring up this thread on the topic but Google did, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...p/t-16357.html - it is archived though.

ETA: I also wonder if the differences may have to do with how much conditioner or conditioner residue there is on the hair which does affect whether it can penetrate hair and how much.

Coconut oil can only penetrate the hair to the cortex level two ways, during shampooing and with heat - both on clarified hair only, even after a pre-oiling, or with adding it to shampoo - or on hair with minimal coatings - and on hair with minimal coatings not nearly as much as on clarified hair.
    Last edited by ktani; November 20th, 2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: ETA and spelling

Shooting it with the hairdryer for a few minutes on warm is a good idea. I'll try that next time. My house was colder than usual too My hair looked so funny when I woke up, I should have taken a picture

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    For some reason the search here did not bring up this thread on the topic but Google did, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...p/t-16357.html - it is archived though.

ETA: I also wonder if the differences may have to do with how much conditioner or conditioner residue there is on the hair which does affect whether it can penetrate hair and how much.

Coconut oil can only penetrate the hair to the cortex level two ways, during shampooing and with heat - both on clarified hair only, even after a pre-oiling, or with adding it to shampoo - or on hair with minimal coatings - and on hair with minimal coatings not nearly as much as on clarified hair.
    Ahhhhhhhhh, I do use cones and hadn't clarified. I usually just massage it on hair and scalp the night before wash day. Maybe it's been pointless? Shoot!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by GracieRae View Post
    Shooting it with the hairdryer for a few minutes on warm is a good idea. I'll try that next time. My house was colder than usual too My hair looked so funny when I woke up, I should have taken a picture
    I am sure it was not amusing.

Re coconut oil and penetration to the cortex - both clarifying products and shampoos can contain coatings that stay on the hair and block lauric acid from reaching the cortex - it is about using shampoos or a clarifying product that does not contain them.

Minimal coatings can be from minimal use of conditioner or styling aids as well.