Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on growing out dark roots from bleached blonde?(picture heavy)

Length
    23/23/36+

Default Suggestions on growing out dark roots from bleached blonde?(picture heavy)

I've been dying my naturally dark brown hair ever since I can remember. Every color from purple, blue, green, to my current light blonde. I'm in love with the blonde, but after my recent purchase of a long red wig I am now obsessed with growing my hair out.

Since the bleaching was so damaging I already don't use heat styling, and I plan on doing some more research on this site as to more natural products to start using for my growing process but what I'm most confused about is an attractive way to grow out my roots.

I really don't want to part with being blonde, so I'm thinking I want to go have a salon just match my roots on my top layer of hair (so I still have blonde, but don't have the ugly greasy looking dark roots showing). I am worried about having that trendy "skunk" look, as well as having to use damaging dye to get back brown. Do you have any suggestions as far as dying techniques or pictures of growing out roots for inspiration? In my search of the forums I found someone mention getting low lights to help it blend as it grows out, but I don't understand how that would work considering to go brown from blonde, you need a red filler first.

For fun, here's pics of my natural color, my favorite color, the wig that made me need long hair, my blonde at it's "best" and my current length & roots.

Thanks so much for any input you may have! Currently 23 inches, aiming for a healthy 36!

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Default Re: Suggestions on growing out dark roots from bleached blonde?(picture heavy)

I would suggest getting a professional colorist to dye roots only, and then just a heavy highlight, not all roots. I do this every four to six weeks, for about the last six years. Find someone that can do it without putting a toner on after the bleaching. Someone that can get to the platinum color without yellow, then you won't have brassiness later. Toners can cause brassiness. My colorist uses 40vol for about 40 minutes, but then we are all different. You might try having someone do a test on some of your underneath hair to see how long to leave it on. I have a dark , natural underneath panel that I never bleach. Makes me have interesting up-do's.

The blonde color suits you, but I did smile at the purple!
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Suggestions on growing out dark roots from bleached blonde?(picture heavy)

I like the blonde as well. Just get a stylist to keep dying the roots.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    Pixie/18/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I'm growing out highlighted/colored hair as well. My natural color is a medium brown so the difference was pretty intense. I'm trying to go all natural but I did dye my ends with herbal essences medium brown. I did that to get it at least all one color (or as close as possible) so that I could tolerate the growing out process.

Personal opinion - if you are trying to grow naturally healthy hair without dyes, I would stay away from any additional highlighting/lowlighting (unless you are only doing it on your already damaged areas and don't mind them being more damaged). For me, doing an all over gentle color made my hair look natural and didn't fry it. If you continue to do highlights or lowlights, the damage just continues.

Length
    23/23/36+

Quote Originally Posted by justgreen View Post
    I would suggest getting a professional colorist to dye roots only, and then just a heavy highlight, not all roots. I do this every four to six weeks, for about the last six years. Find someone that can do it without putting a toner on after the bleaching. Someone that can get to the platinum color without yellow, then you won't have brassiness later. Toners can cause brassiness. My colorist uses 40vol for about 40 minutes, but then we are all different. You might try having someone do a test on some of your underneath hair to see how long to leave it on. I have a dark , natural underneath panel that I never bleach. Makes me have interesting up-do's.

The blonde color suits you, but I did smile at the purple!
    Thanks! I never thought about being able to get that blonde without a toner. But even without toner, I don't feel like my hair can handle it anymore. The hair in my "bangs" and around my face is really fine, and even though I keep chopping the damage off (to the point of baby doll bangs at one point), it's just so obviously fried and unhealthy. I'm also looking to save the 60-80$ every other month :/ But I may very well ask around some salons, thank you!

Length
    23/23/36+

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    I like the blonde as well. Just get a stylist to keep dying the roots.
    That's what I've been doing, but every time I visit I have to get at least an inch of damage cut off, my hair is so damaged from it :/ Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilandra View Post
    I'm growing out highlighted/colored hair as well. My natural color is a medium brown so the difference was pretty intense. I'm trying to go all natural but I did dye my ends with herbal essences medium brown. I did that to get it at least all one color (or as close as possible) so that I could tolerate the growing out process.

Personal opinion - if you are trying to grow naturally healthy hair without dyes, I would stay away from any additional highlighting/lowlighting (unless you are only doing it on your already damaged areas and don't mind them being more damaged). For me, doing an all over gentle color made my hair look natural and didn't fry it. If you continue to do highlights or lowlights, the damage just continues.
    Thank you! I guess what I really should do is just an all over color, I'm just having a really hard time making that big leap. It's funny, I was never afraid of any color...but going back dark from blonde is terrifying me!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Why not go to the salon one more time to have the colorist match up your roots with some brown dye, as close to your own color as possible. It beats trying to do this yourself. Going from blonde to brown takes skill. This way you'll be able to grow it out without much fuss.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

In your first picture you remind me a lot of Elizabeth from Bioshock Ultimate.

I think it illuminates your eyes a lot more, the dark hair that is.

Honestly I would go and get it professionally color-corrected back to dark. I trust you when you say your hair can't take it anymore. I've been there. Despite all the "It looks great!" I heard here, they couldn't touch it or hear it, and really, it was at the brink.

I think if you could find a stylist that is well versed in ombre, that would be a great transition and so pretty on you! Like this

How light did you have to get your hair for the dark purple colour? It's pretty