Thread: Crown Braid Questions

Length
    Bob/21.5/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Crown Braid Questions

Hi Guys!

So I finally feel like I've mastered a decent looking crown braid (I'm at APL-my first try is in my albums). I just have a few questions from the braiders here with longer hair.

1. Is it just me, or do other people end up at the end of the dutch-lace-braiding with two bulky strands and one super tiny strand? I think it's because I'm running out of length somewhat suddenly in one strand...and guessing to fix it I need to get better at evenly adding new hair to each strand?

2. How long was your hair before you could wrap it up and around your head again? I start at the nape of my neck, and after finishing the lace braid portion have just a couple of inches of free floating braid, so it usually makes it another 1/4 of the crown before the tie gets pinned. Just curious!

Thanks!!

My Goals:

Shoulder-18"~APL-23"~BSL-29"~Waist-33"

Length
    Chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Crown Braid Questions

I get the one tiny stand with two big bulky ones too! I can't figure out how to stop this from happening. My hair isn't long enough to do a crown braid so I do two braids down the side and tuck the ends into the other braid after crossing them at the base of m skull.
    Breathe Deep, Seek Peace

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aerin View Post
    Hi Guys!

So I finally feel like I've mastered a decent looking crown braid (I'm at APL-my first try is in my albums). I just have a few questions from the braiders here with longer hair.

1. Is it just me, or do other people end up at the end of the dutch-lace-braiding with two bulky strands and one super tiny strand? I think it's because I'm running out of length somewhat suddenly in one strand...and guessing to fix it I need to get better at evenly adding new hair to each strand?

2. How long was your hair before you could wrap it up and around your head again? I start at the nape of my neck, and after finishing the lace braid portion have just a couple of inches of free floating braid, so it usually makes it another 1/4 of the crown before the tie gets pinned. Just curious!

Thanks!!
    Aerin, your first try looks great! Congrats!

The differering thickness in the strands is just a matter of learning how to section properly, and then trying to keep the same thickness in each section as you braid around your head. Keep practicing and your fingers will become sensitized as to how much to add to each section.

My end of my lace crown braid now goes completely around my head and I just tuck the end under the braid already made. My hair measures about 42 inches. Of course there's some taper at the end but I don't mind.

Length
    Bob/21.5/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Oh, one other question--is there some special way to section the hair in order to get the crown braid further forward on my head? Right now it's very pretty sitting at the back, but I kind of want to play around with slightly different looks. Suggestions?

My Goals:

Shoulder-18"~APL-23"~BSL-29"~Waist-33"

Type
    2b/M/iii

Could you try a twisted lace crown effect like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

I start both my lace twist and my lace crown braids by putting all my hair in front of me, like a curtain, then starting the braid just in front of the top of my right ear, then braiding around the head, changing hand positions when I reach the top of the ear on the left hand side.

I hold the strands slightly up and to the side and always detangle all strands each time I add hair (otherwise it is an ungodly mess). There's a picture of both my lace twist and my lace crown braid in my album.