Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accessory aide request

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Accessory aide request

Wow! This long hair resource is simply fantastic! I have always loved my hair long but unfortunately I come seeking advise. I need something with really hardcore put up and stay up capability. I recently got on track to join a military academy and you know what that means! It would be a nightmare to have to cut my hair. It's 21 years worth. but I think there's a loophole ... the entire length only has to be off your collar. So currently I'm looking at http://www.hairzing.com/what-is-hairzing.php - skeptically
    and http://www.hairglove.com/Action07.html - as a first choice
    Is there anything else you can recommend? Assuming I get http://www.hairglovecycle.com/Detail...ctNumber=20190
    I still wonder if anyone knows how I could attach it to my head? Thanks!
    Last edited by Teacherbear; July 8th, 2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: edited font so post could be more easily read

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Accesory aide request

Welcome to LHC! Be prepared to spend a lot of time here. You might consider focusing on how to make new buns, because the way you put your hair up can help keep it up securely, and when held with something as simple as a hairstick your hair will stay up and hold like the "rock of Gibraltar".

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Um, why would you join a long hair community for advice on haircuts?
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Welcome, gengyaku2. You've come to the right place. We will definitely support you in finding styles that don't require a cut!

You might want to check your military academy's rules about hair accessories. I'm wondering if there's a rule that all accessories must be small, unobtrusive, and neutral colored or something along those lines. That would usually mean just pins and short, undecorated hairsticks.

I agree with frizzinator about learning some more bun styles. I've seen some lovely braided buns on military people, and all that takes is a braid and some pins (and a lot more coordination than I have, I'll admit).

I do suggest posting your question on the Mane forum. More people will see it there, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice. Good luck.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Accessory aide request

Wow! This long hair resource is simply fantastic! I have always loved my hair long but unfortunately I come seeking advise. I need something with really hardcore put up and stay up capability. I recently got on track to join a military academy and you know what that means! It would be a nightmare to have to cut my hair. It's 21 years worth. but I think there's a loophole ... the entire length only has to be off your collar. So currently I'm looking at http://www.hairzing.com/what-is-hairzing.php - skeptically [IMG]file:///G:/Users/Rook/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

and http://www.hairglove.com/Action07.html - as a first choice[IMG]file:///G:/Users/Rook/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

Is there anything else you can recommend? Assuming I get http://www.hairglovecycle.com/Detail...ctNumber=20190
    I still wonder if anyone knows how I could attach it to my head? Thanks!

P.S speed counts. It has to be that good because it's a career I'm going to be using it everyday with and they give you 5 minutes to get down to class. It can be done though. I'm sure of it.
    Last edited by Flaxen; July 8th, 2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Increase font size for ease of reading

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Personally, I'd go with a bun on the back of your head, secured with Good Days Hair Pins. Even when my hair was knee length, I could get it up and secured in less than a minute.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Wow, your font is absurdly tiny.

That being said, your best bet is something secured closely TO your head nothing like a ponytail or a pony-glove. Think French Twists, chignons, buns, french braids with tucked ends, crown braids, etc.

Otherwise you're liable to have an instructor use your ponytail as a handle out of spite and grab it--they're awful strict in the military about the definition of "off the collar". They don't care how long it is, but it sure as heck better be up, or you'll catch hell.

Likewise, I don't think a hairzing or a similar device would be suitable--you're not allowed ornamentation in your hair, so hair ties have to be hair colored.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Would a Ficcare be suitable? Maximas and Ficcarissimos are very popular here because they are excellent at making buns/french twists/log rolls etc. stay put without pulling.

I can do a bun and secure it with a Maximas clip in about 10 seconds and it'll stay up all day.

But does it have to be something 'invisible' for the military? If you had a Ficcarrisimo in a colour to match your hair that wouldn't be too flashy but are you allowed to have a clip showing at all?

Type
    1b/F/ii

You can't link to pictures on your harddrive, we can't see those, they need to be uploaded online.

Anyway, I don't think any of the hairtoys you showed would work and I see that akurah agrees. I'd suggest Amish pins, hair scroos and I guess the GDH pins are also good. I love scroos myself, I can make a very secure basic bun fast with those.

Length
    short/knee/knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

There will be a specific regulation geared towards whichever branch you've decided to join. Be sure to read about the amount of bulk (how far away from your scalp your hair is allowed to lay) you are allowed as well as the length from your collar and if you have fringe/bangs, where they should end.

There will also be a reg of what color/kind of hair accessories you can wear.

Braided hair that is bunned will probably be a good bet for you. Fast, easy and efficient. Also, there are bun snoods that might help or you can use a regular hairnet wrapped snug around a bun to make it neater looking.

I would advise against anything so expensive/bit bulky as a ficcare as you won't be allowed in training to "fix" your hair if it falls out while doing any numerous activities. (sit-ups, climbing walls, low crawling, chemical drills, etc...) The same for anything that might get caught in any way, shape or form until you are out of training.

You should also start learning how to wear your hair up and with a hat, that will take a learning curve if you've never tried to have neat looking long hair minus hat-head.

Carry extra pony elastics and a few bobby pins when you can in your pockets.

Only a few branches will "make" you cut your hair and even then after you are done with the initial training you will usually be allowed to grow it out again. Most simply allow you to keep your long hair but you'd better be sure to keep it neat and tidy looking or you will be singled out.