Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accessory aide request

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Accesory aide request

Hmm thanks for the pointers. And the caution on Akurah's part. I'll account for over zealous instructors. They wouldn't take a pony tail down if it was pinned in place though? I am thinking hairglove it, wrap a coil and then pin it on the top of my head. I think I'm going to use it for the anti grime effect considering the field work.
    Buns are not a forte of mine would I really get that fast? I can hardly get a bun or braid up there. It would be one way but I don't know if I have the coordination in the morning. I talked to someone on another forum; she said people do it with buns and hairspray. What I still need is a way to pin up a pony if I go with a hair glove. Would I just be doing the same thing to pin it up as with a bun?
    Clips and barrettes bobbies all good to go in the military. But I don't know if in anything jeweleryish gets past. Black seems to be it no color. Good thing It's my favorite.
    White gray maybe? I don't really know. I think the idea is drab.They let you have tattoos along the same logic ; they can't be standoutish.
    P.S Can I edit the font scale? The font as a copy error. Is there a reason my avatar showed up as that link o my HD? I'd like to fix it ...

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I was thinking something like a folded braid or a log roll. Either of them you could hold with a clip.

I just timed myself out of curiosity. My hair is only about 33" now so a little shorter than yours but I can do a log roll in exactly 10 seconds. There's a video of how to do a log roll here which is probably easier to understand. It's just basically making a loop and then wrapping the rest of the hair around the loop and clipping it. The folded braid would take a bit longer as braiding takes a bit longer. In theory you could sleep in the braid and just clip it up in the morning but mine always look messy when I wake up.

It's hard to say how quick you can get with things. I used to be incredibly slow but the more I practice the quicker I get. I'm also really slow at anything involving twisting the hair (eg cinnamon buns) but non-twisty buns I'm quite quick at.

I'm sure there are some military/ex-military people here though who can give you some advixce based on experience.
    Last edited by anna1850; July 8th, 2008 at 11:07 AM.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Easiest/fasted style? Ponytail, braided, then wrap it around and secure with a scrunchie. Trust me, My hair won't move if I do that style. The other styles/toys may not with hold the movement/work you are doing, and the links you've provided look to me to be more fashion than function. I ran into this when at horse shows. The easiest style for me is to do a ponytail, braid it, and fold it up with a hair elastic. It's fast, efficient and works with a helmet/hat.

Hope that helps!

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Yeah, braids overnight it's exactly acceptable for military neat. Mine frizzes the second I hit the pillow. But that log role is similar to what I was thinking o going ahead with and may help if as a back up, thanks.
    Where is the edit button or how do I turn it on ?

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gengyaku2 View Post
    Where is the edit button or how do I turn it on ?
    You have to wait until you reach 25 posts.

There's a list of what you can and can't do here

Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

You're a great help. Why leave the edit out I'm learning the forum thing, (I started last week) and no eraser? Oh well.

Length
    pixie/hip/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I thinka braid wrapped around your head would be easiest, most comfortable, etc. One of those lightweight head socks to wear under hats or something like that would help it hold.

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I can put my hair in a bun, held by a small (4") wooden hair pin, in less than 10 seconds. Put on a ball cap and it stays put all day.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Accessory aide request

I used to be in law enforcement and we weren't required to wear ours off our collar but I soon learned that people we tried to arrest (esp. women) like to PULL a braid that was out or a ponytail. I started doing the tucked under french braid and it held all day very well with just a couple of bobby pins . If you just leave the braid a little loose at the nape you can fit the length right up in there until it's pretty long. If it doesn't I would go with a folded up French braid secured with a properly fitting hairtool that that works best for YOU and is the very least conspicuous you can do. I started practicing months before I went in the academy and got really quick at this in a short amount of time. Just use bigger sections at first and hold the hair firmly as you are braiding. I wouldn't try it with a Ficcare even though they hold well. I am thinking some supervisors would NOT like that. You don't want to do ANYTHING that makes you stand out :

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    15/40/?
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by justgreen View Post
    I can put my hair in a bun, held by a small (4") wooden hair pin, in less than 10 seconds. Put on a ball cap and it stays put all day.
    sorry to hijack the post for a sec....but how the heck did you get that chicken to dance? I tried to upload that avatar a zillion times (it's the one I use on the Rat List - long story) and it wouldn't move, it was stationary.