Thread: Spray Texturizers Like Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray

Type
    1b/F/iii

Default Spray Texturizers Like Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray

Hello LHCers! I'm ecstatic that the website is back up! I kept finding myself clicking on my forum button on my toolbar and not being able to come chat and waste time with everyone!!

Anyhow, I'm growing my hair out from my last haircut, and I'm wondering if any of you have tried spray texturizers before. Products such as: Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray, John Frieda Ocean Waves Sea Spray, Garnier Fructis Surf Hair Texturizing Spray.

Ingredients (for Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray): Water (Aqua), Magnesium Sulfate, Macrocystic Pyrifera Extract (Kelp), Algae Extract (Algae), Isoceteth 20, Potassium Sorbate, Propylene Glycol, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance (Parfum)

It almost seems like you're just spraying some epsom salt in your hair; will that dehydrate my hair? I'd like for it to be a bit wavy looking and I've heard rave reviews about Surf Spray. I refuse to use a curling iron because a) I'm lazy and b) It's damaging for hair, so I thought this might be a viable compromise.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Type
    2a/M/ii

Eek! Spraying epsom salts in your hair?!

Personally I wouldn't touch this with the proverbial 10-foot pole. Whenever I use epsom salts in my bath, I make sure my hair is pinned up on the top of my head so it doesn't get in the water.

Wasn't it Snowymoon who had a really BAD experience with spraying salt in her hair as a treatment? Anyone else remember that? Don't know if it was epsom salts though.

If you're just trying to get more wave in your hair, you might consider sleeping in damp braids, or plopping/plunking. Here's a video explaining the latter method which works for a lot of people and doesn't necessarily require product (although you can use some if you want).
    Last edited by Wavelength; March 14th, 2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Adding link
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    20/34/37
    Type
    1a/C/iii

I loved Surf Spray when my hair was shorter than shoulderlength. It gave me the volume and texture that I wanted for my hair. I wouldn't use it now since it would turn my hair into a giant snarled tangle. I can't evaluate whether it was damaging or not since at the time that I used it, I was highlighting, dyeing, perming, and blowdrying my hair all the time.

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I think it was Snowy, resulting in Heidi W.'s great thread on "Claryfying vs. Chelating". I can't remember what started it, though.

I used to love surf spray too - on my chin-length shag. Now, not so much.
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I remember reading (well after the fact) about Snowymoon's disaster with salt sprays. To defend this stuff, though, I think she made it very strong.

Personally, I'd avoid the spray, but I don't have enough experience with that sort of thing to know if it would do damage, and since I'm normally in updos, I wouldn't care enough to try. Otherwise, I can see myself being cheap and try making a dilute epsom salt solution with some moisturizers like aloe and/or glycerine.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2a/M/ii

I'm not really sure what the epsom salt is supposed to do, exactly. But then again I have never used texturizers. Anyone?
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    neck/APL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

I have a spray by John Freida (Brilliant Brunettes?) that claims to enhance waves and golden brown tones in hair. I don't have the ingredients list handy, but I know it contains both salt and oils. I use this spray without any problems and I love it for scrunching to revive my waves. Can't say that I've noticed it doing a thing for enhancing color, but I like it for my waves so it's okay by me.

I'd just keep a hawk's eye out for dryness or buildup and adjust your use of the spray or your cleansing routine accordingly.

Type
    1b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    If you're just trying to get more wave in your hair, you might consider sleeping in damp braids, or plopping/plunking. Here's a video explaining the latter method which works for a lot of people and doesn't necessarily require product (although you can use some if you want).
    I have a *very* slight wave but my hair is otherwise very straight, so I'm not sure if plunking will do me much good. Oh, what I'd do for curly hair!

I used to do the sleeping with braids thing quite frequently but without a lot of hair spray it all becomes very limp and straight after a few hours.

Type
    1b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I remember reading (well after the fact) about Snowymoon's disaster with salt sprays. To defend this stuff, though, I think she made it very strong.

Personally, I'd avoid the spray, but I don't have enough experience with that sort of thing to know if it would do damage, and since I'm normally in updos, I wouldn't care enough to try. Otherwise, I can see myself being cheap and try making a dilute epsom salt solution with some moisturizers like aloe and/or glycerine.
    Anje, this is a brilliant idea! I have aloe vera gel and jojoba oil. I'll have to browse online to see what kind of epsom salt:water ratio I'll need. Epsom salt is so much cheaper than the Bumble & Bumble stuff ($24) just in case I hate it!