Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone ever try to discourage you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    12 in/38 in/55 in
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Angry Does anyone ever try to discourage you?

Okay I can understand my mom complaining about her vacuum cleaner giving out on her because my hair got in the roller brush, but has anyone else "disapproved" of your long hair? Not that their opinion actually counts unless asked for.

I emailed my knee length pic to some friends I hadn't seen in years and they reacted unexpectedly negative. "Tina! This is too much! This doesn't look nice. You should donate it...." on and on. Kind of ticked me off. I expected something a little more encouraging from my friends, I guess.

Length
    10 in/36.5/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Does anyone ever try to discourage you?

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyMonkeyMom View Post
    Okay I can understand my mom complaining about her vacuum cleaner giving out on her because my hair got in the roller brush, but has anyone else "disapproved" of your long hair? Not that their opinion actually counts unless asked for.

I emailed my knee length pic to some friends I hadn't seen in years and they reacted unexpectedly negative. "Tina! This is too much! This doesn't look nice. You should donate it...." on and on. Kind of ticked me off. I expected something a little more encouraging from my friends, I guess.
    My mother, sister, and a friend of over 20 years have all tried in the past, but they've finally given up.

It seems I discouraged them!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

We have another member who was very much hurt by meeting with an old college friend who told her that her thigh or knee length hair (sorry, can't remember) was too much and not attractive at all, and last I heard she had shoulder-blade length hair. My granddaughter on the other hand would love to see your picture (wish she were here). She asks me to grow my hair out to my knees every time the subject comes up. Some people enjoy extra-long hair very much, and others don't. Too bad for them.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

P.S. - nobody in my life tries to discourage me, although my daughter did tell me long ago that my goal of classic length was too long and wouldn't look right. But now she loves it and thinks it suits me very well.

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Spidermom

I don't know what exactly you are wearing in your sig photo but you look very much like a mermaid .... and that is a wonderful thing.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    22/22/Term
    Type
    1c/F/i

Yes. My mom has said it is trashy looking to have very long hair. It is my hair to do as I please. Who cares what others think. Opinions are like butts, everybody has one. People will always have some reason to not like something.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefananb View Post
    Opinions are like butts, everybody has one. People will always have some reason to not like something.
    Isn't that the truth! It always amazes me how people have the nerve to tell someone their opinion on something personal.

As for me? Well, my hair's only APL, so I haven't heard anything yet. Well, other than DH, who keeps telling me how beautiful my hair is.

Length
    20/20/35
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefananb View Post
    Yes. My mom has said it is trashy looking to have very long hair. It is my hair to do as I please. Who cares what others think. Opinions are like butts, everybody has one. People will always have some reason to not like something.
    opinions are like butts: everyone has one and they don't always smell so good!

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

And, back to the subject.

Well - yeah kind of. I have realized that it is probably in my best interest to keep my hair length aspirations kind of quiet. If someone expresses a true interest I may discuss it but otherwise I feel like a weirdo if I talk about wanting to grow longer with anyone outside of this specialized group. They really, really do not get it.

I know a few people think it is a tad weird to be growing this long at my age - closer to 60 than 50 (all the more reason to do it my dear ...) and of course there are always those who regard any hairstyle that isn't straightened or heat styled in some manner to be unacceptable (seriously, who gives a crap what they think).

I know my husband assumed I was going to cut it at some point, then when he realized I wasn't going to he decided to just back off and accept my choice and not offer his opinion. He occasionally will comment on the length (he really liked my blonde pixie style 25 years ago - but I was 25 years younger then too).

My daughter is also a long hair - with straight, blonde hair a bit above waist. We have a standing joke about hair length - specifically mine a the moment and beyond - she once heard a female comedian do a stand-up bit about long hair.

The jist of the joke was " why is long hair down to "here" <indicating waist length> considered super sexy, but long hair to here <indicating hip or longer> is now "religious fanatic" ? " It is just a few inches longer."

Exactly. Why is that ?

Because it is outside societal norms - and anything outside the norm (like long white beards) is off the charts.

Let's hear it for "Off the charts" !!

Length
    BSL/Waist/CLSSC
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

I, recently, had a guy I really liked go, "Eww, no. That's too long!!" When I told him about my goal to have Classic length. It was a little hurtful. :\

Everyone else [my family, close friends and even strangers] LOVES my hair. I've had a lot of people [usually elderly women] come up to me and gush about how much I resemble a doll. xD [My hair is 3a and WL]

It doesn't matter what others say, in the end. It's my hair and I'm going to let grow and grow and grow. ;]