Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: growing to maintain?

Length
    12/26/33
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Post growing to maintain?

My hair is okay. Not gorgeous. Not so damaged you can see it needs cutting off, just okay. I have split ends, I do S and D occassionally and I have my hair trimmed every 3 months. BUT, I want to go for my goal of 30 inches now without cutting my hair which is a realistic goal imo (I'd say I'm around 25 inches now after my trim last week), and i want to get some opinions-
    Should I maintain at the length I am now or
    Wait until I am at my goal and maintain from there?
    Thanks!
    WAIST LENGTH CHALLENGE FOR 2013! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=95025
    A true lady always says her pleases and thank yous.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: growing to maintain?

You might try stretching out the trims. Maybe every 4 months, or 6 months. Of course if you notice problems then get a trim, but I'd play "see how it grows" for a while. I grew to waist with no trims, no money for salon visits. I just put my hair up and went on with my life. It was a wonderful surprise to see how long it had grown.

Length
    12/26/33
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Funny how you say that! The triim I just had I was reallly unhappy with and I still am, so I have been wearing my hair up everyday and playing with styles because of how uneven it looks when down. By uneven I am regarding to my layers (hence the reason for me wanting to maintain) but if I was to maintain as I am now my hair would be this way for months, do I want it this length? No, I want it at my goal length. So perhaps to maintain at my goal length would be ideal as that's the length I willl be most happiest with, on the other hand- damage travels so would it be risky to leave it for such a prolonged period of time without cutting it. I don't brush it hardly ever anymore, I just use a wide tooth comb and a bbb for the occassional pampering/on the go brush but I used to brush it a lot more. Given this information- what do you think? Thank you!
    WAIST LENGTH CHALLENGE FOR 2013! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=95025

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

As long as you continue to treat your hair gently (I am a HUGE proponent of fingercombing!) and S&D regularly, I think you should get to goal and then maintain there! But then I've never been into the whole regular trimming deal, myself. Too much trouble! I only cut my hair once a year (^(oo)^)v
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Length
    Chin/23"/32"
    Type
    1a/F/i

I agree with the others, practice benign neglect, keep it up, S&D and you will get to your goal and THEN you can maintain for health/trim out all the splits, as long as the splits aren't slowing your growth or causing breakage in which case I'd say maintain now
    Growing out bleach and heat damage!
    Using CO and learning new updos to forget about length
    Currently 23" APL aiming for 26" BSL by Christmas

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Also improve your diet. Means less junk and more healthy food. I think it helps more than any kind of routine or shampoo/conditioner. Also don't forget the water.

Length
    12/26/33
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Thanks for the advice I drink a lot of water and take multivitamins, the split ends are not causing hair breakage they are not usually exaggerated splits simply just small splits that I catch before the case becomes worse- by treatments could you give me some examples please?

Length
    12/29.5/31
    Type
    2a/F/ii

You only have four inches to go to get to your goal, I say grow then maintain
    Avatar picture taken on the 1st May 2012, length=17".

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by palaeoqueen View Post
    You only have four inches to go to get to your goal, I say grow then maintain

What she said. Keep it up lots, be gentle with it, do your S&D, and once you reach your goal, maintain away to your hearts content! Microtrim as necessary along the way, but I have uneven layers and I'm growing until I get a couple inches inches past APL, have them evened out a little bit, then once I'm a couple inches past BSL I'll have them properly fixed, then keep on growing happily until I reach goal. If I could, I would grow to goal and then maintain, but alas, I do not think that is attainable for 3 years. For you though, absolutely!
    BALDPIXIECHINSHOULDERAPLBSLWAISTHLTL
    Henna enhanced auburn-haired girl

Length
    17"/Thigh/Knee
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I'm on the side of grow and maintain. I'm doing that with mine at the moment. I'm going to try get past classic and maintain that for a little while till I can trim off a bit more of the dye. I figure if you can learn how to baby and look after the damaged hair so it starts to feel healthy and soft then your hair is going to stand a better chance when that eventually gets trimmed away.

Edit: I've already done a grow and maintain last year at tbl, my ends loved it. If you have a look at my signature the last two pictures show the difference. My ends go from being transparent to thick just from one year of maintaining.
    Last edited by Johanna; May 14th, 2012 at 08:15 PM.

2014 aim: Prepare for knee Ultimate goals: Knee length and dye free. World Domination.