Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Does anyone ever try to discourage you?

Length
    Chin/22/Clasc
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Does anyone ever try to discourage you?

My mother doesn’t get why I would grow my hair “and never leave it down.” And my sisters both think it’s bizarre that I regularly ‘pour eggs and tea on my head’ .

But my grandmother…this weekend I went to her house to wish her a happy mother’s day, and I had my sister sitting in front of me and I was trying to braid her shoulder-length hair. It wasn’t really staying, but I was just having fun, and my grandmother says “Oh! You don’t know how to braid!” I said, “Yes I do, I braided my own hair” and pointed to the two French braids in my hair (which, admittedly, were a bit fluffy from being outside earlier in the day, but still secure) and she said “Oh, they’re awful.”

I could have smacked her! I mean, yeah, I’m learning, and yeah, they weren’t perfect, but to say they’re “awful” and that I “don’t know how to braid”? Perhaps if she had long hair that she braided I would be more sympathetic, but this is a woman who, as long as I can remember, has had 5-6 inches of permed, colored hair.

It just really frustrated me as I had spent a decent chunk of time braiding my own hair, and thought the style rather impressive, for her to be so dismissively rude.

Anyway, I know it’s not really a length discouragement, but it did discourage me from braiding a bit…I’ll keep practicing, but I’m seriously bummed out by the whole thing .

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Sweetie that comment from your GrandMa could have been based on a million other things...sometimes people just "displace" their frustrations onto whomever is handy.

I think french braids always look pretty - even when they are 'messy', like a 'messy' bun, they always pretty.

Try to litterally just forget the comment! And try not to begrudge GMa too - we all have outr moments!!

Just forget it - completely forget it And have fun with your hair and your Sis's hair !!

Length
    Chin/22/Clasc
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PeacenQuietGal View Post
    Sweetie that comment from your GrandMa could have been based on a million other things...sometimes people just "displace" their frustrations onto whomever is handy.

I think french braids always look pretty - even when they are 'messy', like a 'messy' bun, they always pretty.

Try to litterally just forget the comment! And try not to begrudge GMa too - we all have outr moments!!

Just forget it - completely forget it And have fun with your hair and your Sis's hair !!
    Thanks

I was just taken aback at it. But you're right, I should just forget it.

Wow. Just . . . wow.

I've never had anyone specifically try to discourage me. I've had people who wonder when I'm going to donate my hair, or who've said that whenI cut my hair I should donate it/curl it/what have you. Mostly people just say, "Oh, you're hair's so long!" which means . . . you like to state the obvious?

I have had friends who've been harassed about donating their hair, though, and I guess I just don't understand it. Do you tell people, "Oh, you have a lot of shoes/china puppies/cats, you must donate most of it to charity immediately?"

Length
    10/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1b/M/ii

My mom likes short blonde hair. That's what she has. Too bad I don't care what she or anyone else thinks. It's my hair!

I have another friend with beautiful hair and one of our former coworkers told her that having long hair "swallowed her"....so stupid. I think alot of it is jealous. Growing hair long is takes alot of work and dedication for most of us.

PLUS if everyone hates long hair so much, why do people pay thousands for human hair extensions? Hmmmmm

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

The only one who actively says anything is my mom. She likes my hair between APL and MBL and loose. Well, and my dad doesn't like his curls (which I inherited), so he thinks I don't like mine. Which is kinda weird because I love my curls, especially now that I know what to do with them.

My mom only comments on my hair if she thinks I'm being too vain about it. To me it's a hobby, like reading fairytales or crocheting, and I like to talk at length about my hobbies. :P. But since it gets a negative reaction from her, I try to remember not to mention it.

Of course, that makes it interesting/amusing since my brother's wife likes to talk about hair with me, and we usually only see each other at my parents' house. Hehe.

Most people IRL don't know or care. On the Rez long hair is normal and admired, though most of it here is straight, blowfried, and kept up with a claw clip. But it's at least an acceptable and understandable thing here to be actively growing one's hair.

I'm sorry for what everyone went through for some people on here, it's sounds more like mental abuse rather than just discouragement.
    The only thing I can remember at the moment is my mom discouraging me when I decided to go natural. She told me all my hair was going to fall out :/. And that I would be bald. I think she was mainly upset because I wasn't doing what she wanted with my hair, hence, she had no control over it. The control thing is a whole other issue lol

I really wish I would found this thread alot earlier lol

Length
    Shorn/Shoul/hip
    Type
    4a/4b/F/M/ii/iii

I usually don't like talking to people about my hair..especially when they offer me advice about what I should be doing which i've already spend hours reading about or putting into practice..I'm just like...0_0

Length
    17"/Thigh/Knee
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I've noticed that three of my friends that I have in Brisbane that were a bit negative about my long hair all have identical hair cuts now that barely touch SL. Maybe I should do the same so I can match!

Actually, no :/ Love them dearly but... no.

2014 aim: Prepare for knee Ultimate goals: Knee length and dye free. World Domination.