Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tangle Teezer in Canada?

Length
    62cm/15 cm/NA
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Tangle Teezer in Canada?

I find that it's totally random whether or not AND how much I get charged for tax and duties, regardless of whether it comes from the US, Europe or Australia.

Hmm... DBF is friends with the shipping guy at the university, maybe he has "the rules" and can make me a copy? Either that or I'm right and it's just random according to whose hands it goes through at the border and whether they've had a good day or not.
    "Snuggling is sex without the fluid exchange."

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by moxamoll View Post
    I find that it's totally random whether or not AND how much I get charged for tax and duties, regardless of whether it comes from the US, Europe or Australia.

Hmm... DBF is friends with the shipping guy at the university, maybe he has "the rules" and can make me a copy? Either that or I'm right and it's just random according to whose hands it goes through at the border and whether they've had a good day or not.
    haha! Let me know if you can get a copy on "the rules". It seems pretty random to me as well...
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    62cm/15 cm/NA
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

So here is the Government of Canada web page about importing things and what is charged: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal...ts-eng.html#c1

The sentence which seems to be the problem is this one "You may have to pay duty..." (bolding mine) So, as far as I can tell, if you have something shipped in that cost over $20, they will charge you GST or HST + 8.50 handling charge...

If they feel like it? If your package happens to be randomly picked out of the pile of incoming? If the voodoo chicken lands on it?

Who knows?

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by moxamoll View Post
    So here is the Government of Canada web page about importing things and what is charged: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal...ts-eng.html#c1

The sentence which seems to be the problem is this one "You may have to pay duty..." (bolding mine) So, as far as I can tell, if you have something shipped in that cost over $20, they will charge you GST or HST + 8.50 handling charge...

If they feel like it? If your package happens to be randomly picked out of the pile of incoming? If the voodoo chicken lands on it?

Who knows?
    I think they pick it based on how rich they think you might be... LOL. Randomly...
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    I think they pick it based on how rich they think you might be... LOL. Randomly...
    If that's the case then they sure were dicks for charging $90 of duty on a computer from a friend in the states after my house burned down. I had literally nothing but the clothes on my back, sleeping on my friends' couch, and they expect me to find $90 from somewhere? Yeah, I'm going to forego eating for the next two weeks so I can have a computer... not. (My friend - who was pissed, because he'd tried to prepay all charges - paid when he found out what happened.)
    bsl > mbl > hip > [tlb] > clsc > fingertip > thigh > knee > ???

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by teal View Post
    If that's the case then they sure were dicks for charging $90 of duty on a computer from a friend in the states after my house burned down. I had literally nothing but the clothes on my back, sleeping on my friends' couch, and they expect me to find $90 from somewhere? Yeah, I'm going to forego eating for the next two weeks so I can have a computer... not. (My friend - who was pissed, because he'd tried to prepay all charges - paid when he found out what happened.)
    I feel you. It's was no fun last week when I got charged for a baby book- a bloody abby book that cost $30, and they charge me $30 duties??? Just because it says its a baby book, and you assume because I'm getting a baby book I must be having a baby- does not make me rich. Not by a long shot.

Length
    flip/mbl/waist
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by teal View Post
    I feel you. It's was no fun last week when I got charged for a baby book- a bloody abby book that cost $30, and they charge me $30 duties??? Just because it says its a baby book, and you assume because I'm getting a baby book I must be having a baby- does not make me rich. Not by a long shot.
    That's really exorbitant! I had no idea duties could be so high.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mora View Post
    That's really exorbitant! I had no idea duties could be so high.
    Yep... and this summer I ordered vitamins in bulk from the states, $100 worth, and they charged me $150. I really didn't want to pay it, but couldn't get the vitamins in Canada anywhere.

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Yep... and this summer I ordered vitamins in bulk from the states, $100 worth, and they charged me $150. I really didn't want to pay it, but couldn't get the vitamins in Canada anywhere.
    Free trade, my a**. LOL.
    bsl > mbl > hip > [tlb] > clsc > fingertip > thigh > knee > ???

Length
    62cm/15 cm/NA
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Yeesh! I have some connections in the vitamin and herbs line. No guarantees, but I might be able to get things more reasonably for you. Of course, I thought that about the brush too! LOL