Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: haircare on a tight budget

Length
    10/17/40
    Type
    4b/C/iii

Default haircare on a tight budget

Hello I'm a newbie.What is your low budget haircare routine. I'm low on cash and would like to know from you, how do you take care of your hair with few resources?

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: haircare on a tight budget

This is an article I wrote. I'm not sure if you can currently read them so I will just paste the whole thing for you.

Are you worried you won’t be able to have long shiny locks without the aid of expensive salon products or the multitude of options in stores? This guide will help you to start growing your hair while shrinking your expenses.

First, let’s start by covering what many consider to be the essential products.

note: this is meant as a beginner’s comprehensive guide to savings and will not cover alternative cleansing methods

Shampoo: This is one area where if you are like many LHCers you do not have to be too careful. Many people dilute their shampoo for it to be less damaging, only shampoo the scalp, use a tiny bit of shampoo infrequently, or a combination of any of these hair washing methods (while others do not use shampoo at all). Expensive brands, such as Biolage, have products that can be used frugally if one takes into account that the cost can be spread over a longer period. But what are we looking for in a shampoo? Something cleansing, gentle enough to not inflame frizz or damage, and for many cone and SLS free. While this is one area it can be OK to splurge, there are cheaper options that can fulfill these needs. I will start with a few favorites to get you started.

Trader Joe’s Nourishing Spa Shampoo- coming in at an average price of $2.70 this shampoo is great for those looking for SLS/cone free, natural products, and who enjoy a very pleasant and light scent (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...oduct/60/cat/2)

Garnier Fructis Length and Strength Shampoo-slightly more expensive at $3.10 a bottle, this SLS and cone containing shampoo is a cult favorite (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...duct/171/cat/2)

The two dollar and under club- many people swear by VO5 or Suave products which can be found for great prices. Coupons and a trip to Wal-Mart often result in extra savings as well! (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...duct/246/cat/2)
    (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...duct/511/cat/2)
    (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...duct/166/cat/2)

Conditioner: A large mass of hair to tame, the CO method, and deep conditioning treatments can cause us to go through a lot of conditioner. The main two suggestions here then are to shop in bulk when possible and to find a go-to conditioner that is reasonably priced for regular use.

VO5- many use this for CO and it is easily found for under a dollar. My personal favorite is the Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner as I find it gives the best shine (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...oduct/72/cat/3)
    Other VO5 reviews:
    (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...roduct/4/cat/3)
    (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...duct/313/cat/3)

White Rain- another cheap conditioner that can be found for a dollar or under
    (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...duct/266/cat/3)
    (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...duct/270/cat/3)

Suave- a number of people with gorgeous long locks use this as their main conditioner
    (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...duct/344/cat/3)

Trader Joe’s Nourishing Spa Conditioner- also around $2.70 this conditioner has a pleasant smell, natural products, and is cone free
    (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...oduct/48/cat/3)

GVP Conditioning Balm- known as the Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm knockoff, this conditioner can be used for deep treatments on occasion at about $5.60 a bottle
    (http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com...duct/218/cat/3)

Leave Ins: For the money saving route to healthy hair two great options are to use sparse amounts of affordable oils or to create your own leave in products.

Oils- two with good reps are extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil which can be found easily. To use as a leave in, 1-2 drops can be distributed through damp or dry hair.

Create your own- this method helps you to be able to customize your leave in for your individual needs as well as get an even distribution. You will need a spray bottle, water, your conditioner of choice, and optionally your oil of choice. Then, mix the solution so it is mostly water with a much more dilute amount of oil (only a few drops). This can be sprayed in your hair between washes or after washing to refresh the hair.

Other treatments: You are doing all you can to promote healthy hair growth and to avoid damage but what can you do when you want shinier, more moisturized hair without breaking the bank?

AVC/vinegar rinses- mix apple cider vinegar or a clear vinegar for light blondes with water to a dilution of 1:10. You can dip your length in a bowl of this solution and then pour it over your head after showering for extra shine and to reduce tangling. Optional: follow with a short cold rinse

SMT: With clear aloe vera gel available at Wal-Mart and flexibility in the conditioner used, this can be a very affordable deep conditioning option. Follow link for more information
    (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...read.php?t=128)

Deep oiling treatment- you can select your favorite oil listed above and apply a more generous amount to leave on overnight or as a pre-wash treatment. One method that I commonly use it to heat up for a short period of time extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and honey in the microwave, apply it to my whole head, and then let it sit over night. While honey can be more expensive, 1-2 tablespoons will do for thick waist length hair.

Saving money at the salon.. or at home: For salon goers there are a few tips that can keep your costs down:

-decide on a more simple haircut that can be easily replicated at cheaper chains or barbershops
    -come with your hair freshly washed or even wet in a bun (detangled as well)
    -stretch your trims
    -decline having your hair heat styled after

But, there is another secret that could lead to you possibly avoiding salons all together—Feye’s Self Trimming Method (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) . Affordable haircutting scissors can be found easily at stores like CVS. If you are lucky enough to have another person who can cut your hair, you can also save costs by asking them to do your trims.

Additional Tips:
    -Avoid heat styling. The less damage you cause your hair, the less you will need to do to it in order to “make up” for it becoming dull or dry. This means you will save money on products aimed at creating artificial shine while also being able to extend your trims.
    -Look for deals. If you find a sale on a product you swear by, stock up on a few bottles.
    -If there is a more expensive product you are interested in, see if a sample size is available before splurging on the whole purchase.
    -Be patient. Damage can’t be reversed over night so to a certain extent products can become a well for unfulfilled wishes. The next miracle product may not be able to save your hair but gentle handling, time, and trims will.
    -Have a few basic hair accessories so that you can wear your hair up on days where it just isn’t working with you.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Type
    3a/M/ii

My consumables are jojoba (to which I add a little coconut oil and some EOs) and henna. Jojoba I bought a liter of months ago and I keep the bottle in the fridge, using a little (maybe 1 ml/d total, including what I spray on underarms and groin) from a spray bottle. The big bottle is going to last me a few years. Henna I buy several hg at a time and keep them in the freezer. Rajasthani Twilight, one of the latest lots from Mehandi.com, is 7 ¢/g in kilogram quantity. I use 30 g every 4-6 weeks (actually half of that is amla and cloves, but I'll ignore that), which is about $2 per month. Your prices will be different in South Africa, but they won't be much.

My biggest hair expense is hairtoys. A few month ago I plunked down 80 bucks on Flexis. I also have some Ficcares, hair scroos, and Buffs. I need to get some more Buffs, as my Polar is misplaced and the other one has lost its reflective strip.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

If you want to be super cheap you can try washing your hair with baking soda and Coing with ACV.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

There are things you can do right now without buying anything. Use the shampoo you already have, just dilute it. If you shampoo every day, start skipping a day and shampoo every other day. Rinse with cool water. You probably already have vinegar in the kitchen. If so, make a hair rinse by mixing a couple of teaspoons of vinegar to a quart of water.
    When you comb and brush your hair be gentle. Read the articles, the tab for them is at the top of the pages. You can experiment with oiling if you have extra virgin olive oil in the kitchen. If you use hair styling appliances, stop or if you must use them, be very careful. You can also massage your scalp gently every day. There are tons of things you can begin doing right now without spending a dime! Welcome to the forum and enjoy your hair!!!
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

The WO method is quite economical, even when using distilled water if you keep it to once a week.

Length
    chin/bsl/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

I second the WO method. The only hair products I have at the moment are my detangling comb and my boar bristle brush. Cold water is even better because it doesn't cost on your heating bill!

Also, the number one way I found to save money on hair care is to make an initial investment on some good hair-only scissors (10 bucks?) and stop going to the salon!

Hope this helps!
    xox

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

You will also save on shampoo/conditioner by stretching washes. Now that it's cold, I can stretch to 4 days. I used to wash every day, or every other day, so my products last 4 times longer now!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________
    ....Lady Sha'abi of the Thousand Golden Coins in the Order of the Long Haired Knights...

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I was going to link in her article, but xoxophelia was kind enough to include it for you. Another idea is oil shampoo, which as a couple of threads and many references on the forum. Basically it is adding coconut oil, or similar hair penetrating oil, to a very simple shampoo. The amounts of each vary based on what you find works best for you, but coconut oil isn't very expensive, a little goes a long way, and you can use it for cooking, too. The shampoos that seem to work best for this technique are usually pretty basic, thus not that expensive.

For hair toys, check the self-made thread for ideas on making your own. You can use children's chopsticks for hair sticks. At a small local shop mine cost just over a dollar US. Double pointed metal knitting needles needles can be bent into a U-shape and used as hair forks and pins.

You might find this thread of interest.

It doesn't take a lot to take good care of your hair. All the experiments and such that so many of us do are optional, not required. And sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I expect that most of us eventually get a fairly simple routine figured out that we like and that works for our situation, and then stick to it.

1. I buy quality tools, and then I MAKE SURE to take care of them. Such as my detangling comb, I wash it each time I wash my hair. And I've now had this comb for around 3 years, easily, now.

2. I buy my shampoo/conditioner for hair washing in bulk once per year. I spend around $160, max, on my annual supply.

3. If I have to choose what to kind of splurge money on, I choose to splurge on conditioner over shampoo.

4. Find a hair care routine, and stick to it if it works.

5. All you really need for quality hair care is one smooth-fabriced (satin, sateen, polyester perhaps) pillowcase, one detangling comb, and a supply of shampoo/conditioner, maybe one hair stick and a supply of bobby pins of sorts. That's minimal. Hair decoration items can be garnered at peak points of income.

6. I buy two kinds of conditioner for different reasons, and the main conditioner I use on my length is Biolage Conditioning Balm. It's expensive, but I buy it in the large container providing 38 fl. oz. I try to buy when it's a kind of two for one sale, and take advantage of sales. This is the only thing I buy via Walmart, in a Supercenter where they have a hair cutting salon inside. The salon carries this conditioner; it's not in the beauty or where all the other shampoos are in the main store area. One vat is about $40.00, but if you can buy two for the price of one, you've got around 6-7 months of conditioner supply. One vat lasts around 3 months or so for me.

7. I no longer oil my length nor Boar Bristle Brush my hair. I'm in survival mode, and can't afford the long drive to acquire the oil I prefer. I know what it's like to survive on a tight budget. Suddenly TP takes on a new order and priority.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC