Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixed Race Hair? Stories? Tips? Rants? Bring it here!

Length
    20"/38?/40+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Mixed Race Hair? ries? Tips? Rants? Bring it here!

I am so glad you started this thread.

I am the child of mostly anglo-saxon heritage parents with 1b-c type hair, dad mostly dk. blond and my mom mostly dark brown. Mine was blond 1c as a child and darker as I aged. My Husband, on the other, hand is mostly German/Bohemian (east-central Europe), with Black 3a-b hair even tho his dad was blond. Kids came with the following: Daughter, darkest brn,2c: Son blond 1c, son brown 3a, son almost black 1b, son blond 2b, son brown 3b. I had such a hard time with the 3's! seemed like no matter what I did, the youngest looked like Kramer from Seinfeld on a bad hair day.

I will never forget going in for a pediatrics appointment with Daughter and first blond son. A lady came up to me and asked if his father's hair was blond, as sister and I were obviously not I guess. When I told them that Dad had black curly hair, the lady bent down, tweaked my son's cheek and laughed, "Well, you're the milkman's baby, aren't you!" Que me with my jaw on the floor.

My daughter's husband is 3c-4a and his 4 siblings have 3b, 3c, 4a, & 4b hair as his mom is German/Hungarian (1b) and dad is 3/4 Af-Am,1/8 Cherokee &1/8 french? (4b). When Grandkids come, any thing can happen! I figure the more I know about all types of hair, the better.

Lady Siúcra Reoáin of the CavySong

Length
    15.75/22/25
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Ugh, Brazilian med/coarse, frizz-prone, curly/wave hair (from mom) but German/white thinness (from paternal grandmom).

I feel like thinness is tolerable with straight hair but not with wavy/curly.
    Last edited by InTheCity; October 30th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
    These pics were about 10 years ago... Trying again from similar to that short pic.

Length
    14/14/20
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Hi! I am mostly Hungarian and German mixed with Asian and a tiny bit Native American. I have big hair with little spirals but my sister has thick straight hair. We look nothing alike, me blonde and her brunette so we always joke that one of us got switched in the hospital.

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

[I had a nice long message just now, and the internet ate it.]

My hair definitely qualifies (as does the rest of me).

I've got definite and indefinite ancestries. The definite, documented ones are German, English, French, and (possibly) Irish. The not-officially-documented ones are Iroquois or Cherokee, Scottish, Turkish or Spanish, Crow, something Asian, and African. Those last are speculation but definite possibilities.

I've been mistaken for Jewish, Russian, Mexican, Crow, other Native, part African American, and a few other things I don't remember at the moment. I think I could potentially pass for anything but Swedish or Norwegian, depending on the circumstances.

My hair is just as mixed up as the rest of me. I've found fine blonde, medium ginger and brown, coarse brown, and coarse black hairs scattered all throughout my head. The overall color is a dark brown that some people insist is black. In the sunlight it can look auburn-ish, and sometimes people ask if I've dyed it. When I was little the ends of my hair would burnish to a golden brown. Now they fade redder instead.

I have 3a or 3b curls on top, 2a to 2c waves in the middle, and 1b to 1c smoothness on the bottom. At the nape of my neck there is also a several-inch-wide lighter streak that only shows if I put my hair up in a high bun.

Crazy stuff.
    Current length: 17”(ish)—Collarbone. Will be buzzing it short around New Year’s 2018. Ultimate goal: still Terminal.

Length
    ear/apl/term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I'm caucasian with pretty standard "white girl" hair. Although my mom had no idea what to do with curls and would make me brush my hair until it was "straight" ie pouffy and horrible.

Anyhow, my friend is black and hispanic and his wife is chinese. I've always been fascinated with their daughters hair. When she was a baby it looked asian (fine and straight) then around two all of a sudden she had an afro (adorable!). Now at eight her hair is wavy and coarse and very pretty, if really hard to control. I wonder if it will change again?

I hope you don't mind me posting here? I know I don't have much to add, I just thought it was a good place to talk about my little friends hair.

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by InTheCity View Post
    Ugh, Brazilian med/coarse, frizz-prone, curly/wave hair (from mom) but German/white thinness (from paternal grandmom).

I feel like thinness is tolerable with straight hair but not with wavy/curly.
    Really?!

My mom has super thin and fine hair, and I'm so thankful for the curls because it keeps me from looking bald! When I straighten my hair my friends are always like "Where'd it all go?" and I just ::headdesk::

Do people really consider Brazillian hair coarse? I thought Brazil was one of those great melting pots. So many different types in one country!

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lizdini View Post
    I hope you don't mind me posting here? I know I don't have much to add, I just thought it was a good place to talk about my little friends hair.
    Why would I mind? This whole thread is about throwing these ideas/stories out there, and she's a great example!

I often want to ask parents about their mixed kids hair, but I don't think it's quite the think to do yet. I had a friend who was Korean and French, and she had beautiful light brown/blonde hair but perfectly asian features. It was so exotic. Luckily, her hair was like her mom's but blonde, so she didn't have any hair care issues. She always wore it to TBL, but permed it in her teens. Was sick of her "annoyingly asian hair". Made me LOL.

Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Irish/Dominican here. Dark brown/almost black hair, 2b, m/c, ii. Biggest pain in the butt when I was younger & couldn't have cared less about my hair. Love it now. I can handle the knots (almost non-existent at this point thanks to LHC ) now.

Mom's Cuban (I'm adopted) with 1a hair naturally. I would scream when she brushed my hair when I was younger. Love her, but I'm pretty sure she had no clue how to deal with my knotty mess back then. After the detanglings, it was fine. Until then...it's no wonder I would use up to 2 bandanas to cover my hair in high school sometimes - wasn't about to put myself through that. I'd had enough at that point for the most part.

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

This thread is such an interesting read, although I admittedly have nothing constructive to add Don't mind me, I'm just a curious piggy with very sterotypical East Asian hair (^(oo)^)`
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I am tri racial (if there is anything more than that I am not aware) but I'm ~80% caucasian. The only main thing that is perhaps different in my hair is that I am more C than many caucasians. My hair texture is from my dad's side but I really don't know if it has its roots in the caucasian part or the Indian one. If anybody is curious my mom is mostly of European descent with some Native American and my dad is also but Indian.

I don't think I have anything constructive to add ^_^'

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic