Thread: Could use some henna color advice

Length
    2"/2"/28"
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Could use some henna color advice

I've been using henna for about 6 years now, having started with LUSH marron and then moving to BAQ yemeni. But the yemeni has been coming out a bit too red and light for my liking lately so I'd like to get it back to the more maroon color below or in my avatar over there on the left.

I'll go back to marron if I have to, but I'd rather use BAQ. Do you think rajasthani twilight will get me there, or can you recommend something that will maybe go a bit darker for me?

This is what I'm trying to get back to. The color I'm at now is in my signature line.

Currently at BSL, trying to get to waist, if possible, by January 2015. I may lose my mind and cut it off though.

Length
    2"/2"/28"
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Could use some henna color advice

Wow, that's super big sorry. Not sure how to make it smaller.
    Currently at BSL, trying to get to waist, if possible, by January 2015. I may lose my mind and cut it off though.

Type
    2a/F/ii

You could try to mix 2/3 henna and 1/3 indigo. But strand test. If I were you I'd get samples and then do a strand test before buying more henna/indigo. Good luck!

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

Henna really looks fabulous on you! You could try some indigo, but keep in mind it may result in a warmer note than you might care for. I would try 70/30 henndigo at the most for a trial run. Use more and it can go to brownish. Are you using Yemeni light? Another type of henna might do it without having to mix in indigo. I would try this first.

Looking at your pictures makes me want to go full henna again. And I really was attempting to go towards natural now ...

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I honestly wouldn't bother with the indigo... I would use rajasthani henna instead. Some things you can do to push burgundy include using hibiscus tea or red wine for the liquid, and/or adding a temporary dye to the brew like Manic Panic's Vampire Red.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    23.5/28.5"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I would not bother with indigo either, just use a different henna first..
    I dotn find and from what I have read that adding things changes the colour permanetely, only temporarily but a stronger henna may work for you?

Length
    30/39/40
    Type
    1c/M/ii

To get back to the picture (very beautiful color), I would also say to try rajastani first as it gives darker-brownish undertones compared to yemeni.

In the midway of this our mortal life, I found me in a gloomy wood, astray.

I'd definitely try the Twilight. I just used some the other day and my 'blondette' roots are getting pretty dark already. They match the ends of my hair, which have been dyed about 5 times with Celebration henna. It's definitely burgundy.

Length
    2"/2"/28"
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Thanks so much for the advice! I was thinking about trying indigo but the idea of it really just freaks me out so I'd rather start with a different type of henna first. I'd love if I could get it to the color of Fairystar's 3rd picture from her signature line but I'm not sure that's possible.

I'm going to order some Twilight and see how that works out. I'm using straight yemeni, not light, but perhaps it's not as strong as the yemeni I've used in the past as I know it changes from year to year.

Thanks again! And also for the compliments. Y'all are so kind.

Length
    2"/2"/28"
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

OK well I'm trying the rajasthani. It's on my head as I type so hopefully in about 4 hours I'll rinse it off and it will be darker.