Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think salon shampoos & conditioners are worth the extra money?

Length
    16/23/26
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Do you think salon shampoos & conditioners are worth the extra money?

I used to use salon products back when I was coloring, blowdrying, and flatironing but didn't think they made my hair look any better than drugstore products. Of course, I obviously wasn't treating my hair very well so I'm sure that was a factor. Now I'm toying with the idea of going back to expensive salon products now that I'm not abusing my hair to see if they make a difference. I'm wondering what other people's opinions are on salon vs. drugstore products.

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Do you think salon shampoos & conditioners are worth the extra money?

Honestly, a lot of people get the best results with the cheapy Suave products for like, a dollar. I guess it all depends on whether your hair likes whatever is in the expensive products, ie cones, protein, a particular scent, etc.

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Do you think salon shampoos & conditioners are worth the extra money?

I don't think there is any such thing as a miracle hair product. What helps most is not doing damaging things.

Of course you also want a shampoo that doesn't dry out your hair and a conditioner that is enough so your hair doesn't tangle. The more expensive products sometimes smell really nice or do more to mask damage. I can't tell you if they are worth it compared to say a $4 product in any way other than smell.

Personally though I get by using cheaper products and I think it works just fine.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Type
    1b/M/ii

I get along better with the cheaper, drugstore products.
    There was a time when I really wanted to believe the salon stuff worked better (after all, who wants to buy expensive products and find out they do not work?) but I've found out that it's not the price, but the ingredients that count, and salon products are very good for a short period of time, but after 2 or 3 uses they'll cause a massive amount of buildup. At least on me they do.
    These days I go for mild, moisturizing shampoos and conditioners, and use something more natural like oil or butter to give my hair a boost in moisture, and that's all I need. And my ends are old and damaged from dyes, but nobody would say it from looking at my hair.
    If drugstore products work for you, then that's what you should use =]

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

A lot of salon products have a lot of cones (at least here they do) and my hair hates cones so I think the salon products are very overpriced. I wouldn't use most of it if I got it for free.

But if you can find a salon product that agrees with your hair then by all means, use it! There is nothing wrong with spending a little money on yourself and the luxury aspect is worth something as well.
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32 WL 34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB

Length
    16/23/26
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Two things I have read are that salon products have higher amounts of beneficial ingredients and that salon shampoos are gentler and less drying. However, I have found a lot of salon shampoos that contain sulfates just like many drugstore brands so I'm wondering if that's really true.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Shampoo? No, I don't think so, especially considering that I dilute everything.

Conditioner? I'm not sure, but probably.

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I seem to have better results with the mid range salon products.

I'm sensitive to fragranced products, so my choices are limited to those that don't leave much scent in my hair.

Length
    BSL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

No I don't, in fact they're worse for my hair. I'll just stick with my shampoo bars and some cheap conditioner thank you
    Lady Móreadhiel, Whisperer and Guardian to the Creatures of Silence in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    pixie-jaw-shoulder-APL-BSL-WAIST!

Length
    Chin/TBL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

The shampoo's are so not worth the money, but I can say from experience (my sister and aunt are both hair dressers, so I get to try a lot of products out) that the conditioner is definitely worth the price. As far as salon quality products go, I recommend anything by Alterna or TIGI.
    Slowly creeping towards knee-length hair...