Thread: Really need help with up-dos!

Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Really need help with up-dos!

I have been foolishly putting my hair up in a pontytail/braid thinking that was protective..

I'd really like to know some updos that are pretty and protective, doesn't matter how complex, I'm willing to practise! I've looked on Youtube etc but all the terms baffle me.. I have no idea about all the updo lingo and the names for stuff.

My hair is I guess normal in thickness, and just past BSL. I've tried messing around with it but can't really come up with much, so pleaase, someone suggest me things I can do!

My hair:

Length
    2,5/12,5/CB
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Default Re: Really need help with up-dos!

I'd suggest you to go to Youtube, there's loadsss out there!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon I personally love watching her hairstyles, creative, easy and..A nice accent .

Length
    chin/APL/BSL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

I would suggest buying spin pins. They're easy to create buns with and don't damage your hair. For me, they're easier than hair sticks. I decorate the bun with accent braids and such. It's kind of becoming day to day hairstyle for me.

But I explore youtube a lot and no matter how bad my attempts are, I keep trying. I'm still not that great, but in one year I've come a long way. You will, too.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Good places to go are: the articles section (see the tab up top). Torrinpaige's youtube; Hypnotica's youtube; Loepsie's youtube; Cinnamonhair's youtube;
    JJJ Longhair's youtube.

As for good everyday buns, I like JJJ's Pretzel bun, the nautilus bun (plaited or not), the cinnamon bun (usually plaited) and the orchid bun. I also like the coronet braid (basically, a single english plait pinned to look like a crown braid) but that needs classic or longer hair.

Oh, and for hairtoys, I have a small horn fork I got of the swap board, a flexi-8 (mine is a mega-flexi, I'd suggest maybe a medium for you but it'd depend on your thickness), and my new favourites - spin pins. You can get them at Boots, Claire's Accessories, Superdrug and one other place I've forgotten. They're expensive but they work so well.
    Last edited by Panth; October 20th, 2011 at 02:49 PM.

Type
    2b/M/iii

@LocustSpawning,

Here's a You Tube tutorial on doing the lace braid on yourself (shorter hair):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

You can also consult the Hairstyling section in the Articles area (see gray menu bar above). The Gibson Tuck would work well on your hair I think.

There are also half ups you could try..i. e. braiding the side hair (do it loosely, not tightly) then joining the braids in the center at the back of your head.

You might also try the one stick version of the Chinese braided bun, which is very easy and consists of 2 braids down your back which are then wound around the hairstick.

If you know how to French Dutch braid, you might try a French Dutch braid down the back of your head and then tuck in the ends under the braid.

You might even try a double cinnamon twist bun by dividing your ponytail in 2 sections. Gently twist one section and wrap it around the ponytail base, pinning as you go. Take the other section and do the same, but in the opposite direction around the ponytail base.

To camouflage the ponytail base, take a tiny bit of hair and wind it around the ponytail elastic and pin it with tiny crimped hairpins.

I use crimped hairpins exclusively

You might also try the Sock Bun. Good luck. PS Always, always, always, detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb before attempting any style, and try and keep that hair detangled while working. Tangles are your worst enemy, so try and keep 'em at bay while working. Good luck!

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

These are all great suggestions.

The lazy wrap bun and pencil buns are good beginner buns to start with.

Oh, and I also wanted to say that I find braids to be plenty protective -- you just want to be careful how you bind them off (or, you could just not bind them off, and instead throw a braid up into a bun).

The most protective updo IMO is the braided bun, since you don't need to twist, and the braid offers additional protection (no flyaways etc). And it's easy, low braid, coil, stick a stick in .

Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Oh wow thanks everyone, didn't realise there was an article on this.

Lots of new things to try

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

At your length, a French Twist (or peacock twist) might be one of the easiest. Keep trying new updos, you'll soon surprise yourself with what you can do.

ETA: The Hairstyle Dictionary is a handy resource for styles.
    Last edited by Teazel; October 21st, 2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Added link
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.