Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: biotin users chime in pls

Length
    ?/waist/hip

( i think its biotin takers not users or sompin but watev )
    So i bought a bottle of the lower dose of Spring Valley Biotin 1000 mcg (1mg) they are the non gel kind.

I read that Biotin can cause break outs. many reviews stated that after they added biotin supplements to their diet they broke out and that when stopped their face cleared back up.

I also read that it can be the fillers in the non gel tablets that can cause this

has anyone experienced break outs? if so, did you stick with them and after your body adjusted did the break outs stop?

I'm struggling with acne and started The Regimen from acne.org about 2 weeks ago

I really wanted to get the 1" in growth a month like many get from taking this supplement but my face clearing up is a gazillion times more important to me.

Please let me know your experiences
    Last edited by princess03; October 11th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.

Length
    12/30 MB/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: biotin users chime in pls

I just started three days ago. This is why I am starting with a 500 mg dose to begin with to see how I am going to react.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've been taking extra biotin for years. I never experienced any breaking out. Not everyone does. You won't know until you try it. And you need to try it several times to know if it's really the biotin or something else. I did not experience any extra growth. I've been tracking my monthly growth for years. However, I did experience faster growing nails and better quality nails. I also got better quality hair as it grew. What I mean by that is I think the strands were a little thicker in diameter. In other words I don't think my hair was as fine as it was before taking the biotin. It may have decreased my shed rate but that could be the MSM I also take.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    26"/31"/tb cl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

I am using Biotin since feb 2011. I started with 5000 units, now I am down to 2000. I never had breakouts, my hair didn't grow more than half inch with biotin until now. But my hair actually stopped growing due to biotin and protein lack. My body doesn't produce biotin, also it can't produce L-cystein. Plus I am a vegetarian athlete with a low protein diet. Not good. So when I started Biotin with L-cystein and Paba, my hair started growing again, not only that, it is thicker in diameter and I grow more hairs! But half inch only per month. So now I will start with miconazole nitrate to get 1" or maybe 1.5??? :-)

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

I've been taking Biotin for about a month now, and I haven't had any breakouts, or at least, nothing prolonged or out of the ordinary. I get a few pimples depending on the time of month, but I don't think the Biotin made it any worse. I haven't noticed anything with my hair yet, but my nails are sure growing faster and stronger. I can tell by how fast my nail polish grows out.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________
    ....Lady Sha'abi of the Thousand Golden Coins in the Order of the Long Haired Knights...

Length
    11"/15"/30"
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I started Biotin on 8/26 Hair and stopped it last week on the 5th. I had pretty bad acne when I was a teen and have never had perfectly clear skin (I'm 28 now) but I started getting huge painful acne mid Sept, only a few at a time, but they were so far under the skin and lasted so long and I felt so ugly and embarrassed the whole time.

I noticed before the acne that I was getting a little oilier, but that wasn't a huge deterant as I was hoping for the 1/month hair. I didn't notice an increase in length, but I did get less shedding while using Biotin and my nails grew really long and strong.

If you have oil or acne prone skin I'd be wary, but it might be worth it if its only a little oil.

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm 44 years old and started taking about 3,500 mcg of biotin a day about a week ago. Ok I skipped half of those doses, actually. I haven't had zits in about a decade but have had three little ones in the past week. If they get worse I will drop to a lower dosage.

Carolyn: I hope that happens to my strand thickness too!

Length
    18.5/BSL/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

When I was taking 3 of the same ones you are talking about per day....i started to get some cystic acne on my chin. I stopped taking it for a couple weeks and I'm only taking one a day now and I'm doing fine. I think it varies person to person, but maybe just start with half a pill and then increase...?
    "Time is making fools of us again" ~ Albus Dumbledore

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I use a skin, hair and nails supplement that contains 1500mg of biotin, but it's also got 30mg of zinc, and zinc is supposed to help acne! However, I have noticed more pimples lately, but I don't know if it's due to that or some other factor. However, they're not as bad as they have been in the past (and I have the sort of skin that never really grew out of acne ).

I think you just need to experiment a bit, and there's never a need to take a mega dose, unless you've got a medical deficiency.
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

It's made me break out in the past, but then I stopped taking it for a while for other reasons. (Laziness mostly, nothing to do with the actual supplement.) I started taking it again recently but my skin has been fine. Then again I actually have a decent skin care regime now and I didn't before.