Thread: Problems with Breakage?

Length
    Pixie/SL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Problems with Breakage?

I know that coming to this site can be overwhelming at first. "What the heck am I supposed to do first?"

I've only been around for about a week. I was brushing my hair with a Conair Mega Ceramic hairbush (no way will I post a picture of my dirty brush). The one with an oval head and a red wood looking finish. I could NOT stop shedding and every day there was hair all over my floor and in my brush.

I don't heat style it or bleach it or back-comb or anything really damaging. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. I even paid $100 for Ovation Therapy (which did not work).

So with all of the suggestions on this site, I started with the easiest. I switched to this comb, which I got from Sally's for somewhere around $5.

What a difference! I'm not sure why I felt I needed all of those bristles, but it turns out I don't. (I haven't gotten to typing my hair, but it's straight with a bit of wave, fine, and probably medium thickness)

I didn't realize exactly how much of a difference made until I used my brush for the first time again last night. Breakage! And this morning, I had even more hair still coming out!

I've used this comb safely in the shower (to help distribute) and NO HAIR COMES OUT. When I comb my hair after it dries... still nothing.

I hope this helps someone who is suffering from breakage. We need to learn to be more gentle with our hair. It really is fragile. I know I should stop combining in the shower ... but my CO washes are so freaking silky and it's irresistible to comb it!!! Hehehe.

Length
    12/30 MB/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Problems with Breakage?

You are probably about a 1b then on your hair type. When you CO you are going to shed at least some hair because conditioner makes the hair slippery and those sheds come out easier as a result.

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Glad to hear you're getting results from LHC already. The first thing I did was change from shampoo & conditioner to CWC with the same products, then I tossed all my injection molded combs and got horn, wooden or Bakelite ones. It has made a difference. It is such a simple thing I sometimes forget about this simple procedural change, only remembering about oils, SMT, CO and such, until I remember that the way I handle it daily matters, too!

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Oh, and you can't type your hair by guessing based on what it looks like after brushing/combing. Do a wash, even a clarifying wash, then let it dry without touching it. I know it's hard, but you might be surprised by the results. If your hair is wavy after all that brushing you may have a lot more wave than you expect, maybe even curls.

Length
    28/33/34
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Hmm, I've been shedding a lot as well lately and because a lot of the hairs had white bulbs I've always assumed it was increased shedding. Maybe part of it was breakage too? I don't use any 'bad' brushes but perhaps I handle it too much in general >_<

Glad you found a solution!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

There isn't a problem with combing wet hair as long as you're careful, especially in the presence of conditioner. It's brushing wet hair that's the problem.

Length
    Pixie/SL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    There isn't a problem with combing wet hair as long as you're careful, especially in the presence of conditioner. It's brushing wet hair that's the problem.
    Thank you. I can stop feeling guilty now