Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you 'keep' coconut oil?

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default How do you 'keep' coconut oil?

So, I just bought some extra virgin coconut oil - the jar even says it can be used as a conditioner and moisturizer for hair and skin, as well as cooking. Looking forward to start using it tomorrow.

But, I have one question that I can't seem to find an answer to: How do you 'keep' it? Should I just put it in my closet, or should I keep it in the refrigerator? It was in not in the cold section of the store, but when I got home and opened it, it was still kinda solid, but starting to get liquid. Does it matter if it becomes liquid, or will it 'go bad' faster?

Also, just for fun, what is your favorite way to apply it? Thank you for reading, hope someone can help me
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: How do you 'keep' coconut oil?

I store my coconut oil in my bathroom closet, and it's been fine like that for over a year now. Mine is solid at room temperature.

I apply mine to damp hair after I've washed it shampoo and conditioner: I just scrape out a little bit, rub it between my hands until my hands are lightly coated with oil, and then "squeeze" the oil into my hair, focusing on the ends.

If I want to do a heavy oiling I'll melt the oil in the microwave first to make it easier to properly saturate all my hair.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Hmm, I need to see what people say to that also. I baight some recently and Ive just been keeping it on my table. I wonder if I should put it in fridge? Its still solid, we keep it cool enough where there has been to melting in the jar.
    Working on longer, healthier hair!

Length
    20/23,6/35,4
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

- If I had access to a fridge, I would put mine in that .

But with that said, I've used coconut oil for years, without keeping it in the fridge, just because I like having all my hair related products with each other and it doesn't go bad . . and I live in England, maybe if I lived in a super hot climate, I'd keep it in the fridge :P

Fave way to applying it nowadays is in SMT's or a little bit in my mister bottle mix, or when I do braids and dip the ends in my palm with melted coconut oil in it . . for years I used to just shower my hair in coconut oil and keep it oily and soft . . it looked stringy but felt amazing and I didn't care, just happy that I found something my hair loves: oil.
    And it felt like it protected my hair (:
    Last edited by RedheadMistress; August 31st, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Freegan - Polyamorous - Ex-Squatter

- Sorry I'm late . - That's okay, time doesn't exist .

I usually just keep mine in the bathroom as mostly it's not that hot in the UK.

It keeps OK whether it's cool and a hard texture or warm and liquid from what I can gather (and I haven't had a problem with it going off if it's liquid).

If it does get warm and begins to turn liquid I stick mine in the fridge purely because I fing it easier to gauge how much I use if it's solid.

I slather it on dry hair very heavily for a deep treat once a week and also add it to my conditioner (about a thumbnail or a bit less) which I put on the lengths after a co wash and then have a final rinse a few mins later.

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I keep mine in my bathroom in a bottle. Since it's not convenient to use it like this I put some in an empty face cream jar and I keep it in my room in a closet. It's never solid. It's not liquid to the point of transparency, but it's more like a yoghurt. Liquid but somewhat dense.

Length
    14"/26"/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

DancingQueen (love that name, btw) - If stored in a dark, cool place, e.g. perhaps your cupboard in kitchen or bathroom, it should keep well in your northern climate. I live in a warm subtropical climate, and my coconut oil keeps quite well unrefrigerated.

We seem to share similar hairtype. I experimented at first with applying just-a-bit of coconut oil to my clean, damp hair. Dry as my hair is of late, I then next time tried applying a couple of palmfuls to my clean, wet hair. (I have a very thick mane, a lot of hair, and very long --- more works better for me than the few drops that I first tried.) There was in my experience no residual oiliness to my hair whatsoever --- it seems to 'soak it up', as it were.

I wish you well in your experience with coconut oil!
    Sincerely,
    Theta

What I do find..is the plastic cap I use for overnight treatments...can't be used again as it smells rancid and off..tis the only problem I have had.

I should probably buy a decent washable one but I get throwaways and attempt to re-use them but I can't face it!

Length
    HL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

I just keep mine on a shelf, and it has been in pure liquid form for the majority of the summer. I have AC, but my house doesn't cool down very easily. And I can't run it too much cause of money.

I have noticed it getting solid a few times, and sometimes just solid enough to be semi-liquid.

I haven't noticed any difference in quality, though, whatever state it is in. I have had my current jar for several months, but I'm not sure exactly when I got it.

Length
    bsl/chin/tlb
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I live in AZ so coconut oil is liquid here all but maybe two months of the year, I just leave it on a shelf in my bathroom though and I've never had any go bad on me.