Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever sold you hair?

Length
    21.5/28/34/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Have you ever sold you hair?

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaDancer View Post
    My hair is thick, but half European, half Asian. Although it does have Asian strength with European softness. Don't know if that matters... And it's very dark brown, so I don't have the color going for me. Even $200 would be nice, but I don't want to undersell if I could get more. I just don't know what prices really are. I checked one site and they seemed to be all over the map.
    Yes the dark Asian hair usually doesn't bring as much as the European. But having the European softness will help tons. Unfortunately from my experience to really get in the 200 dollars you need to be selling at least 15" or so. I personally didn't look at anything that was less then 20" and we know that is a lot of hair. The most I paid was 400 and that was virgin blond 20" hair. But again hair can go from anywhere from 100-1500.00 or so, guess it depends on who is looking and wanting to buy. I bought lots of hair just for my own personal extensions. I would shop and try and find the best deals. sometimes people would get sick of dealing with the crazy hair ****** people that they were more than happy to sell to me. I also know male hair didn't go for as much? And that again worked for me because some of the best hair I bought came from a guy.

I think we all think our hair is valued super high. Heck I wouldn't dream of selling mine and even if it were long I would think it would be worth a million bucks because it would have taken forever to get it that way. But it really doesn't work like that. Yes sometimes you can get some decent money for it. It's not going to pay off the car or anything but if someone is planning on cutting anyways it's just a nice little bonus.

Someone said something about why blond is worth more than dark if they color it anyways. Well the reason is because true virgin blond hair is pretty rare and when people buy that they are not coloring it. They pay the big bucks to have it real or unprocessed.
    Last edited by Rocket22; October 6th, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
    No matter how much you hate your hair someone wishes they could have it!

Length
    flip/mbl/waist
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Just speculating: even if it's going to be dyed anyways (to have extensions match the current hair, for example), blonde hair might be worth more because it is easier for most dyes to show up on hair that is naturally light-colored.

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

That could be true, mora. I guess come winter, I'll find a website and see what kind of interest I get. I dunno if $100 would be worth the trouble. I can make that with one belly dance gig without having to worry about Paypal or mailing anything to anyone... Although if I'm cutting it anyway, why not? Ah, I'll see how I feel about it later.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________
    ....Lady Sha'abi of the Thousand Golden Coins in the Order of the Long Haired Knights...

Length
    21.5/28/34/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

That could be true, mora. I guess come winter, I'll find a website and see what kind of interest I get. I dunno if $100 would be worth the trouble. I can make that with one belly dance gig without having to worry about Paypal or mailing anything to anyone... Although if I'm cutting it anyway, why not? Ah, I'll see how I feel about it later.
    Hey you never know and if your cutting it anyways even more reason to at least check into it. I will search for that website. The big one used to be thehairtrader, don't know what happened to it but it was fantastic. Also if you do decide you want to sell and you get your feelers out there sometimes people will pay you more to continue to grow it to get to a length they desire. Just a thought. good luck and I'll do some research too. I actually sent pictures of me wearing my extensions to the people that I bought hair from. (they requested it of course) It was a nice and friendly experience. I wanted long hair and they were over it. All parties involved were happy

Length
    Chin/48.5/54
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I'm not planning to cut it just for the money. More like I'm wanting to cut it back and start fresh growing it out again, so I figure I might as well make some money!
    Oh ok. Cool! In that case, more power to you! I hope you get a good amount of money for the hair you sell!
    MrsGuther

Length
    flip/mbl/waist
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket22 View Post
    ... I bought lots of hair just for my own personal extensions. ...
    Kind of off-topic but did you turn the hair that you bought into extensions on your own or do you have to get a professional to do that?

Length
    21.5/28/34/TB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mora View Post
    Kind of off-topic but did you turn the hair that you bought into extensions on your own or do you have to get a professional to do that?
    I had to get a professional to weft it.

Length
    Pixi/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket22 View Post
    . It's not going to pay off the car or anything but if someone is planning on cutting anyways it's just a nice little bonus.
    This made me giggle my friend and I were just discussing hair selling and she apparently had an aunt with knee length hair who sold it to pay off her car! Apparently she got about $1000 for it. Didn't go into the specifics of how short/what color other than that it was virgin never heat treated etc. But yeah, I'm sure her case is a little unusual. It certainly isn't going to buy you a car! Also, a note, I believe she cut her hair because she was ready to make it shorter, not just for the car thing...

Length
    12/30 MB/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/ii/iii

There is no way that I would chop that much hair if I had it unless it was extremely damaged. It would take too long to regrow. If that is what you was wanting to do anyway then it certainly doesn't hurt to make a little money while at it.

Length
    22"/32"/50"
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

If after you research prices you aren't going to get that much for it, why not make yourself some hair rats? There is an article about making a donut for buns in the Articles section, or you could make a traditional rat to insert into updos.
    Guardian Julia of the Rock, Shaman of Animism in the Order of the Long Haired Knights