Thread: Amish Pins

livinginthelandoftheblogs Alba-NY's Avatar
    Length
    waist/50+"/knees
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Question Amish Pins

I have a question of my own, that came from this...

I was helping my friend Ari810 find shorter pins than I have around. It seems she can't post threads, (and also isn't aware how to search yet ) So I searched here (the new boards only) and found that in addition to plainlydressed.com people buy from prayercoverings.

She was looking for an alternative to Plainlydressed because the shipping was very high.

Today I wanted to go to local drygoods store that mum and I thought might carry the pins. We weren't certain it would be open, so mum asked our neighbour, Rebecca, if she thought it would be and whether they'd have the pins. Long story short Rebecca gave me some of her shorter pins, and we never ended up going to the store.

Now, to my question...
    I just measured them (too long at 2,5) for Ari, and noticed that only a few were springy, like the pins I have from Plainlydressed. The rest are made of another form of wire though they look the same. Then I thought I remembered that someone mentioned encountering Amish pins that were not springy.
    I wanted to confirm that the pins from prayercoverings are also the springy kind. (Although the shipping isn't too much better, and they don't carry the shortest pins 1 and 5/8"...)

I am just a tad confused because I thought the point of these pins was the spring action. I mean I know the others would hold, but not like a rock.

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Alba, I don't know what you mean by springy, I'm afraid.

My amish pins however came from Christiancoverings, so you might look into that as well (as far as shipping and length of pins is concerned):

http://www.christiancoverings.com/ca...Fcategory%3D12

Sorry, I just saw that they are 3" long AND out of stock. Never mind me!
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Length
    waist/50+"/knees
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

ah, I couldn't think of another word... Let me see...
    If you press the legs together they ought to resist and bounce back. Bouncy?
    So, some did not.

Tension? does that apply in this sense? hmmm

i have pins from both suppliers. i am not sure about the 'bouncy' part, but have to admit that the ones i got from Plainly Dressed seem to be better quality. they have more of 'steel' feel to them, then the others. i am definitely going to order from PD next time. hope it helps.
    The Soul of the Rose 1908 J.W. Waterhouse
    from http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com)

Length
    waist/50+"/knees
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by helanek View Post
    i have pins from both suppliers. i am not sure about the 'bouncy' part, but have to admit that the ones i got from Plainly Dressed seem to be better quality. they have more of 'steel' feel to them, then the others. i am definitely going to order from PD next time. hope it helps.
    Thank you. You see, I thought I remembered some sort of sentiment to that effect going around. Now I hope more people chime in. *curious*