Thread: How do I get rid of my perminant part?

Length
    Pixi/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Default How do I get rid of my perminant part?

This may be a dumb newbie question...but I don't know what to do at this point. I've been wearing my hair down and parting down the middle for as long as I've been growing it out, so it has thinned out along the part. This didn't used to bother me, since I always left it down, but now I want to do different styles and it's driving me nuts! If I brush it straight back it'll just slosh to the sides, and if I FORCIBLY pull it straight back you can still see the stupid line...

I dislike parting my hair on the side. Even though it's thick, it's so fine I feel it looks extremely odd when I do. Like suddenly half my head is naked. I know it'll be a long time fixing it, if I ever do, but I was wondering if any of you had some wisdom to share to help me! Is parting on the sides the only way?

Sober Lush Extraordinair AnqeIicDemise's Avatar
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How do I get rid of my perminant part?

Slick it back and use headbands. Other than that, there is very little that can be done besides changing parts from left to right. I try to have my parts differently on the days I wear my hair down. Like, one day in the middle, the next on the right, the left, the day after that I'll wear a head band or a scarf... the day after that I'll do a lace braid across the front.

I also rotate where I have my buns or ponies too. If I did a high pony one day, I'll try to do a low bun or a braid instead.

eye haelp mama kiep londry waerm.
    BSL|WSL | HP | not quite there CL |
    Moonstruck Tresses

In a beautiful land of sunshine and fresh fruit! :D
    Length
    bob/49/45+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Could you possibly part your hair only a little off center...enough that it looks like you meant to have a side part, but not so much that it feels/looks super strange? Maybe alternate sides every now and then?

Made it to terminal length at mid-calf, now I'm maintaining at my favorite length: Classic!

Length
    Pixi/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AnqeIicDemise View Post
    Slick it back and use headbands.
    What kinds of headbands? It seems like cloth ones wouldn't have enough oomph to keep my hair from sloshing about, and really the only other ones I'm familiar with are the evil plastic toothed ones I had when I was little...the ones that give me headaches. Sorry...I'm kind of a hair toy novice...Until recently the only reason I owned any hair holding devices was for stuffing it under wigs for costumes.

Anqe, do you think parting it only a LITTLE to the side would work? I kinda have this fear of winding up with an even wider psudo bald spot but that's probably just paranoia... This means I need to buy a better comb for parting, doesn't it? That's another thing, I have the worst time trying to change my part, oi...but that's just practice I guess.

Sober Lush Extraordinair AnqeIicDemise's Avatar
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rybe View Post
    What kinds of headbands? It seems like cloth ones wouldn't have enough oomph to keep my hair from sloshing about, and really the only other ones I'm familiar with are the evil plastic toothed ones I had when I was little...the ones that give me headaches. Sorry...I'm kind of a hair toy novice...Until recently the only reason I owned any hair holding devices was for stuffing it under wigs for costumes.

Anqe, do you think parting it only a LITTLE to the side would work? I kinda have this fear of winding up with an even wider psudo bald spot but that's probably just paranoia... This means I need to buy a better comb for parting, doesn't it? That's another thing, I have the worst time trying to change my part, oi...but that's just practice I guess.
    I have a teeny, tiny forehead so my 'side parts' are maybe an inch away from the middle part if at that. Try doing that instead of the side parts of Hollywood.

I used wide, toothless, plastic headbands for a long time. I had to stretch them out a bit. I would blast them on the highest setting of the blowfryer, then gently pull the band apart a little wider than its normal width. I'd hold the headband as such until the plastic cooled. It often did the trick.

Cloth-covered wide bands are amazing and they usually are lined too. Look for a velvety lining; it'll grip your hair better.

And if that doesn't work, use a thin scarf and tie it at the base of the neck, and pin the material to your hair with bobby pins. I did that all the time until my hair got long enough to tie up.

As for parting with a comb? I use anything on hand that has a thin edge. A chopstick that lost its mate is perfect.... the back of a brush. An old pen that ran out of ink. Usually I just use my fingers.

eye haelp mama kiep londry waerm.
    BSL|WSL | HP | not quite there CL |
    Moonstruck Tresses

Length
    Pixi/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AnqeIicDemise View Post
    I used wide, toothless, plastic headbands for a long time. I had to stretch them out a bit. I would blast them on the highest setting of the blowfryer, then gently pull the band apart a little wider than its normal width. I'd hold the headband as such until the plastic cooled. It often did the trick.
    Brilliant! I'm not sure if headbands are my style, but I'll have to start scouring the internet to see if there are any I like.

Also just noticed I misspelled permanent in the title, and I can't edit because I'm a newbie, GUH D:

Length
    SL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Also try getting a boar bristle brush. I also have a part down the center- the same part I've had since I was a kid. If I try to lay my hair any other way it actually gives me painful headaches and my scalp feels sore.

But since I started upside down brushing with a BBB, I had this achey feeling for a few days (gradually less painful) and now I can part my hair anywhere without pain or it reverting back to the old part.

Also, once you pick where you want your part and separate the hair- brushing each side with a BBB helps the hair lay flat and smooth, just like on the original part.
    HTH