Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does my hair do this?

Length
    20/25.5/Waist
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii

Default Why does my hair do this?

Sometimes when I am brushing my hair, especially the bottom ends are sort of stuck together/knotted and I don't know what is causing this. I sort of have to separate a bundle of hairs. I don't know if this is because my hair is really dry and the static is causing this or something else? I can't just run my fingers through my hair though as they will always reach a knotty/stuck bundle.

Default Re: Why does my hair do this?

do you comb it out first?

Length
    20/25.5/Waist
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by swetiepeti View Post
    do you comb it out first?
    Yes, even if it is combed I find that my hair starts to stick/tangle very soon afterwards. It doesn't feel smoothe to the touch.

Type
    2b/M/iii

It might be that there's build up on your hair that's causing the ends to cling together and causing the snarling.

I don't know what products you use for shampooing and conditioning but you might try and dilute them with water when using them next time.

I've also found that an overnight EVOO treatment makes my hair detangling even easier and brushing is a breeze with no tangling.

You might try a tiny trim. Instant tangles are my main cue that it's time to trim my ends.

Type
    2b/M/iii

I forgot to mention...if you have static when brushing, you can minimize it to a great extent if you follow each stroke of the brush with the palm of your other hand.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Don't brush curly hair!
    Well, o.k., before a wash it's acceptable.

I'd try to clarify first because it may be build-up. Otherwise, your ends have most likely become roughened/damaged. When I can feel a difference in the texture near the ends, and if clarifying followed by a moisture treatment doesn't correct it, I know it's time for a trim. I hate having to fight with my hair, so in spite of loss of length, I'd rather cut the rough, Velcro-like stuff away.

Length
    24"/26"/30"
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Ditto what everybody else said. "Velcro ends" are common in long hair. Clarify first (and condition well afterwards), and if they are still doing it, trim off half an inch.
    If I had a prayer, it would be this: "God spare me from the desire for love, approval, and appreciation. Amen." - Byron Katie

Length
    14"/21"/28"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I agree with this advice, clarifying, SMT-ing, and/or trimming can work wonders.

However, I will say that my hair has a wave pattern that just loves to tangle. It's 2 parts wavy and one part stick straight, and the wavy bits get wrapped around the straight bits almost immediately after brushing. Unless I've just used a heaping amount of cones, I can rarely glide my hands straight through. Even if it's been freshly trimmed.

One thing I will ask though is have you dyed it? Often the dyed parts tangle more easily.

Length
    14 in/17/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

My hair tangles through the length from rubbing on the fabric of my clothes if it is a wool sweater or perhaps a certain type of collar, or a scarf.