Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Native American hair

Length
    23cm/34cm/?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Native American hair

I am also an admirer of all dark long (strong) hair... Probably partly because I have light brown/dark blonde fine thin hair. So I enjoyed reading everything here. Especially everything Dragon Faery wrote.

I read about this just a few week ago:
    http://www.sott.net/article/234783-T...heir-Hair-Long
    (I hope you can see the link and that it works.)

The same thing is written here:
    http://www.whitewolfpack.com/2012/05...ans-would.html

I haven't managed to read all the comments/responses there yet.

But I wonder, does anyone here know or had heard anything about it?

I myself know only what I read. I have light hair and pale complexion and am from Europe. But I have (like many people) always been fascinated by things I hear/see/read about Native American culture. When I was a child I was obviously influenced by films and books (I read Karl May - Winnetou!!!). As I got older I have been influenced by the stories of suffering (the history, the "European colonization"). My English is not so great so I have a hard time explaining, but I cry over any sad story I read, injustice and inequality (that I hear/read of) hurts me like a stab of a knife...

Well, lately I have come across this information (link above) because I read anything and everything I can find about long hair.

Length
    BSL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Faery View Post
    My husband's Crow, so I'm going to have to ask him a lot of questions and come back to this thread after. I especially want to ask him about that painting of the "Crow Chief", as it doesn't look very much at all like the photographs I've seen of Crow elders and warriors.

My husband has thick, black, coarse hair with a bit of a wave to it. He was probably 1c when longer, possibly 2a. Before I knew him he'd grown it to somewhere between TBL and Classic, but he'd cut it off by the time I met him. All his girl cousins were jealous of his hair.

I can't say much about other tribes, but in Crow culture only your parents and immediate siblings and spouse are allowed to touch your hair. If anyone else does it's considered a sexual advance. I think this idea is slowly fading away, but in my husband's generation it's still quite prominent.

In the Crow tradition, boys and men wore 3 braids and girls and women wore 2. Boys and men had the crown hair sectioned off into one braid, and then the hair beneath that is divided in half and braided into two more braids. Women parted their hair down the middle and braided each half. They still follow this when they dress in traditional regalia at powwows. (If you want to see pictures of powwows, Google "Crow Fair" and you should get some good ones. Crow Fair is a huge powwow that happens practically in our backyard every August.) Hair was (and sometimes still is) cut as a sign of mourning. My husband cut his long hair off when his grandmother died.

Nowadays, and especially in the current generations younger than the age of 30, the old traditions are falling away or nearly lost. There are a few families that still follow more traditional ways as best they can, and there are others who reject the old traditions completely. And then there are some who do a little bit of both. The language is dying, and with it a lot of the other things, like hair practices. The only thing my husband knows about pre-conquest haircare is that the women used to boil some part of the Yucca plant and wash their hair with it. It lathered up just like shampoo.

The most persistent hair traditions that I see, at least with the Crow who live on the reservation, is that hair is still important, though the care of it has changed. Little girls are used to having their hair yanked into super tight braids for most of their younger years. Some little boys still are given the traditional 3 braids, but they're getting fewer and fewer, and unless they're dressed in superhero clothes or camouflage or something else "manly", outsiders mistake them for girls. I see more and more young girls with their hair loose. Some of them still have it quite long, but it's often unkempt. The older girls have switched from super long lengths to hopelessly fried and flatironed shorter styles. It's not universal, but it's the most common. My husband's older sisters grow their hair out long (classic-ish) and then cut back to shoulder/APL-ish. Two of them have very curly hair, and they don't really know what to do with it, so it just hangs there. There seems to be one sort of universal bun the longer-haired women do that involves scrunchies or claw clips, and that's it. The only "growing out" method they use when growing hair is to take prenatal vitamins, which usually they can get from a relative who is or was recently pregnant and who got them for free from the IHS (Indian Health Service). When I first moved here and wanted to grow my hair, my husband asked a couple of his pregnant cousins to get prenatals for me that way. And they did. I honestly don't know if it's helped or not, but I've taken them on and off ever since, as I tend to be slightly low on iron anyway.

One nice thing is that, even though a lot of ladies here don't grow their hair to extreme lengths anymore, they still admire very long hair and think of it as a cool accessory rather than some weird crazy hippie thing or something. It probably also doesn't hurt that we have a Hutterite community living nearby (on the reservation since no one bothers them here) and also a lot of Pentecostals just off-Rez, some of whom have fairly extreme lengths. I know of one Crow woman who has hair at about Knee length, but she's in some sort of feud with one of my sister-in-laws, so I doubt I could get any friendly tips from her. Around here, if someone doesn't like you, then by extension their whole family hates your whole family. And families are big.

I feel like I'm rambling. Been up a bit too long. This is a cool thread, though. I wish I had something more useful to contribute.
    Fascinating Thank you for sharing. I have been interested in Native American culture for years, and it's always nice to learn from someone who is Native or lives amongst them. It's sad though that the languages and some customs are dying out
    Lady Móreadhiel, Whisperer and Guardian to the Creatures of Silence in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    pixie-jaw-shoulder-APL-BSL-WAIST!

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fira View Post
    I am also an admirer of all dark long (strong) hair... Probably partly because I have light brown/dark blonde fine thin hair. So I enjoyed reading everything here. Especially everything Dragon Faery wrote.

I read about this just a few week ago:
    http://www.sott.net/article/234783-T...heir-Hair-Long
    (I hope you can see the link and that it works.)

The same thing is written here:
    http://www.whitewolfpack.com/2012/05...ans-would.html

I haven't managed to read all the comments/responses there yet.

But I wonder, does anyone here know or had heard anything about it?
    Aww, thank you! I try to be as informative as possible, since I often notice how big the knowledge gap is between white people and Natives in the USA. I kind of live in that middle ground, since I used to be one of the white people who didn't know anything but the stereotypes.

The article you've linked to is interesting. I've seen it floating around a lot lately in various forms. I don't know for sure if that particular story is true, but I do know that my husband has told me about something similar to this. His story is that during the Vietnam war, the military hired Native American trackers who had amazing skills in that regard. But when they cut their hair for boot camp they lost the finesse that they had possessed before. Eventually they were given special permission from the top brass to grow their hair out long again, and after that they had no further trouble. I don't know if all the details of his story are the same as the details in these articles or not, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they were different versions of the same story. A lot of Natives tend to join the military at some point in their lives, so my husband has a lot of relatives and friends who have been in various branches at various times. ...Hmm. I'm not sure if any of this is helpful or not! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by irishlady View Post
    Fascinating Thank you for sharing. I have been interested in Native American culture for years, and it's always nice to learn from someone who is Native or lives amongst them. It's sad though that the languages and some customs are dying out
    Thank you! It's been interesting to learn about these things. I never thought this would be where my life took me, but here I am. I figure I should make the most of it in whatever way I can.
    Current length: 17”(ish)—Collarbone. Will be buzzing it short around New Year’s 2018. Ultimate goal: still Terminal.

Length
    23cm/34cm/?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I wonder, can one have long hair in the military these days? Can you choose? (In the US.)

I've read that people are often told what they can and cannot do - for example, that boys were required to cut their hair to go to kindergarten or school. I am having a hard time understanding this... These attempts of (mind) control... I can not imagine something like this today in my country, although it is also messed up in a big way (politicians are the worst and our national character is also unbelievable - in a bad way). I mean people are very judgmental and everyone thinks they know better and they think they can tell you what to do - as far as hair goes it is always too short for one, too long for another and the wrong color etc... But if you skin is thick (and you are brave and smart) you can do what you want.

And as far as Native Americans go, is their life in general any better now? Do more people understand that we are all equal? Although this is a difficult subject, right?

I wonder if there are any chances that old Native American plants and herbs, used for hair care are going to get popular?
    Because in my country (and in Europe???) there is more and more interest in Indian (from India, ayurvedic etc.) plants and herbs and mixes... And from other parts of the world (Africa, Tahiti etc.).
    Last edited by Fira; June 18th, 2015 at 06:10 AM.

Length
    28/33.75/44
    Type
    2a/F/ii

A while back on this thread, someone mentioned the squash blossom bun, and was referencing an old photograph. I was at the de Young museum in San Francisco the other day, and saw a bust of a Hopi woman with her hair done up in this style. I snapped a few photos, but unfortunately I have no idea how to share them here.

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

I just stopped in to leave this here ... I just saw it and thought it was cool. It doesn't have much to do with hair, but it's one of the Crow traditions that's alive and well: relay horse racing. This was filmed at the racetrack a few miles away from my home. I thought people like SwordWomanRiona would appreciate it ... if she ever checks this thread anymore.

http://www.horsecollaborative.com/in...low-your-mind/
    Current length: 17”(ish)—Collarbone. Will be buzzing it short around New Year’s 2018. Ultimate goal: still Terminal.

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fira View Post
    I wonder, can one have long hair in the military these days? Can you choose? (In the US.)

I've read that people are often told what they can and cannot do - for example, that boys were required to cut their hair to go to kindergarten or school. I am having a hard time understanding this... These attempts of (mind) control... I can not imagine something like this today in my country, although it is also messed up in a big way (politicians are the worst and our national character is also unbelievable - in a bad way). I mean people are very judgmental and everyone thinks they know better and they think they can tell you what to do - as far as hair goes it is always too short for one, too long for another and the wrong color etc... But if you skin is thick (and you are brave and smart) you can do what you want.

And as far as Native Americans go, is their life in general any better now? Do more people understand that we are all equal? Although this is a difficult subject, right?

I wonder if there are any chances that old Native American plants and herbs, used for hair care are going to get popular?
    Because in my country (and in Europe???) there is more and more interest in Indian (from India, ayurvedic etc.) plants and herbs and mixes... And from other parts of the world (Africa, Tahiti etc.).

I'm not sure about the military, so I'd better not try to answer that one.

Life in general for Native Americans is only sort of better. It depends greatly on what tribe you are from. I would say it's "better" in the sense that, for those who are willing to leave their own cultures and homes behind, they have equal or nearly equal opportunities to be successful in whatever field they chose in modern American life. However, that's a big sacrifice, and most people who leave the reservations to pursue education and careers are seen as abandoning their families and culture. I don't know if it's the same on every reservation, but on the ones I'm familiar with, there is a heavy cultural pressure to NOT succeed in life.

There is a lot of bitterness, especially on reservations, against white people. And I understand where that bitterness comes from. White people treated Natives terribly and took everything from them. But what makes me sad is the communal decision that the only acceptable response is to continue to wallow in this bitterness rather than to rise above it and make a better life for oneself. There is an unusually high percentage of above-average intelligence in children where I live, but they grow up believing the cultural lie that they are dumber and "less" than the white kids they share schools with, and as they grow older lack of success becomes a sort of badge of perverse honor. I have never met anyone more intelligent than my husband (his IQ was once measured in college as being 188 ... which I believe, after seeing his mind in action: the man is brilliant), but he has spent his whole life thinking he's dumber than average.

As far as conditions on reservations go, the worst that I know of is the Navajo reservation. There may be others just as bad, but I know for certain that at least in parts of the Navajo res they are not allowed to own their own land, and therefore cannot build on it, meaning they all live in trailer homes and have to go to local water pumps for their daily water. That's essentially third-world conditions in the middle of the United States. They are allowed to leave the reservation and get education and jobs elsewhere, but cultural pressure is strong to stay. It's sad. It seems like if you grow up on a reservation, your choices are to stay and perpetuate the pattern of your parents and grandparents (which usually means having many children from multiple partners at a very young age and letting your parents or grandparents raise the older ones for you, and often means getting addicted to alcohol or drugs or patterns of domestic abuse) ... or to leave, leaving your family and your culture behind.

I don't think the majority of humans will ever be able to grasp our own equalness. It makes me sad. I wish the first thing people saw in each other was hearts and minds, not races and cultures. We would all be a lot happier.

With the current trend towards more herbal and natural products, especially in the United States, I'm guessing we'll see more uses (or attempts to use) Native forms of hair and skin care.

Length
    Chin/Hip!/Clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I just thought I'd revive this thread for this:
    INDIAN TACOS!!!

And another so you can see the frybread and all the tastey layers:

Hey Dragon Faery, do these look similar to those made on your Rez? Most people eat them with a lot more stuff on top (like sour cream) but we like 'em simple in my house (just cheese and lettuce). There's also some kind of beans mixed in the meat (the same beans we use for our bean soup, which is another "traditional" food) but it's difficult to make those out in the pics.

Yummers!

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Here is a nice reflection on some Navajo hair traditions: http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...728?page=0%2C1

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    25/20/32-45
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

What an interesting thread. I am Native American (Lakota and possibly Omaha) and Indigenous Guatemalan on my father's size. And I'm Mestizo and European Spanish on my mom side. So I'm about 75%+ Native. When I was younger I had very curly hair that was jet black. As it grew longer it became straighter until it has become 1c (especially when I was tailbone and BCL length), possibly 2a. My hair is ii/iii, with medium and corse strands with fine ones near the front. My hair has also become less black as well and turned very dark brown (due to my mom probably). I wished for the longest time that I had the pin straight and thick black hair. My brother though does have the thick black hair, but its wavy like mine. (Gosh so lucky). But yeah not all Natives have black, thick , pin straight hair. I have many friends who are Native like me and they have various thickness, from pencil thin to fist sized ponytails. And different hair colors. I have a friend who has golden brown hair and another with hair so black it glows purple in the sunlight. But its flattering to hear how people find Native hair beautiful (I know its not directed at me lol)