Thread: Heat and Hair Growth - The Greenhouse Effect

Length
    22"/32"/50"
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Question Heat and Hair Growth - The Greenhouse Effect

I know many of us condition/oil our hair and then "bag" it in a shower cap to improve the condition of the hair, but do you do it for growth?

The following information is from the Real Queens site- http://realqueens.ning.com/group/hai...imengreenhouse

Real Queens calls itself a place for black women, but I read it anyway. I think the regimen they use is something easily adapted to individual tastes and hair texture. Has anybody done this for growth? What do you think about it?

GREEN HOUSE EFFECT
    On damp or dry hair apply a generous amount of JBCO or EVOO throughout your hair (or how ever much you can tolerate) making sure to coat the ends in the oil to create a protective barrier against pollution, fabrics, dryness ect.
    This regimen works well with various protective hairstyles such as bantu knot outs and braid outs, so once you’ve oiled your hair you can prep it accordingly depending on how you plan to style it the next day.
    Place shower cap or plastic bag over your hair to lock in the moisture from your scalps natural oils and heat from your head. This creates a green house, steam effect during your sleep which is the best time for your hair growth in this case.
    Place a head tie/scarf over your head & shower cap making sure that it’s nice and snug; for best results also wear a winter hat over your scarf to help produce more heat.
    In the morning you may find that your hair is a bit damp from the moisture the steam effect created.
    You can either blow dry it on cool setting, let it air dry a bit (about 15 mins) before styling, or go ahead and style it while it’s still damp and let it dry as the day progresses.
    * if you don't really care for the JBCO smell, you should definitley try the Shea Oil with Mango & Papaya it will make your hair smell amazing or you can simply use EVOO from your local grocery store, it's much cheaper!
    Last edited by julierockhead; September 14th, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
    Guardian Julia of the Rock, Shaman of Animism in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Heat and Hair Growth - The Greenhouse Effect

I do this but with conditioner in my hair, not oils. I just call it an overnight baggy treatment.

I wash my hair in the night and when it is just damp I apply a conditioner on may hair, not my scalp. Then I put a shower cap over it and a beanie hat over the shower cap. Then I go to bed.

The next morning I remove the hat and the shower cap and either rinse off the conditioner or leave it in (depending on the conditioner) and let my hair air-dry.

This treatment seems to infuse moisture in my hair and scalp however, it is a real pain to do, sleeping with all that paraphernalia on your head, and the husband does not appreciate it either, LOL.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hum, I wouldn't put pure jamaican black castor oil in my hair for sure! This seams a bit painful to try to stimilate growth. I wouldn't want to sleep with a plastic cap.

Length
    24"/26"/30"
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

On the other hand, it is well known that excessive sweating (as an ongoing disorder, not just from a good daily workout) can cause hair loss. Could an all-night every-night cap mimic this? Maybe. There is also an Australian dermatologist who believes that overheating and nonbreathable coverings are causing people serious skin problems, (but this morning I just can't seem to find the link). It's one of those things where a little might be good for hair but more isn't better, I think.
    If I had a prayer, it would be this: "God spare me from the desire for love, approval, and appreciation. Amen." - Byron Katie

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My philosophy is that I don't have to do anything to stimulate growth. Growth happens all by itself, in its own time.

I do overnight oilings but without plastic. I toss and turn too much to keep anything on my head.

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

No... I put plastic on my head mostly to save me from extra laundry detail. I don't like getting oils on my clothes and pillowcases if it can be helped.
    bsl > mbl > hip > [tlb] > clsc > fingertip > thigh > knee > ???