Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knitting needles as hairsticks???

Length
    ??/40"?/??
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Knitting needles as hairsticks???

I've been hairstick-less for the last year or so. The cheapo hairsticks I bought from Claire's broke within a month or two, and I can't bring myself to pay full price for the super nice ones I see online (though I would looooove a nice hair fork).

So I've been using (I'm embarrassed to admit) pencils and pens as hair sticks. But the other day I was in Joann's Fabrics and saw these 7" knitting needles, the kind that are pointy on both ends. There were these skinny metal ones, a package of 3 or 4 for $3.99, and then there were bamboo ones, four for $8. I like the look of them--simple and low-key--and they would be kinder to my hair than the pencils and pens I've been using (which snag my hair), and best of all, they would be dirt cheap.

Only question I have is whether or not they would be strong enough. I don't know if they would be any stronger than the Claire's hairsticks which snapped on me. And I'm a little worried that the skinny metal ones would slip right out.

Has anyone used knitting needles as hairsticks? Did they work? Were they strong enough? What kind of hair do you have? (Mine is between tailbone and classic, straight, not particularly thick. I use hairsticks for inside-out buns and knot buns)

I suppose I could just try them and see--if they didn't work, it's not like I would be out a lot of money. But before I buy them, I thought it would be worth a try to stop by here and see if anyone else had any thoughts.

Thanks!

Type
    2a/M/ii

They're not only strong enough, but many of us bend the metal ones in half to make hairpins. They're very secure and safe to use in your hair.
    SuperCool Sunglasses generously provided by snowbear!
    Lady Wavelengthe of Auburne Waves, Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I have some of the skinny metel ones, and they do slip some.. but otherwise they work great. I've thought about curling one end so that it won't slip out... maybe you could try that?

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

i bend the metal ones in half so they are like forks..... it works great and if you stick them in right you cant see them and it looks like your hair is magically staying up
    can i call this classic length

Length
    25/??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I love the knitting needles as hair sticks. I think how you wear your hair will affect how well the needles will hold. I haven't had to modify my needles at all and they hold my thick, waist length hair quite well.

Length
    12/18/waist
    Type
    4a/4b/C/ii/iii

YES! Especially the knitting needles made by Lantern Moon!
    Lady Cirrus of the Spanning Heavens in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I love using the metal ones as hair pins. They're great, and so cheap.

Just wrap one in a cloth (to avoid scratches) and bend it around a doorknob.

When my hair was shorter, I only needed one to hold an updo, but nowadays I need two to feel secure.

I do keep one of these to use when I put my hair up for a shower. One's plenty secure enough for that, even though the updo doesn't look all that great.

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

I haven't used them myself - it's something I plan to try though. In fact I am planning on buying some this weekend... assuming I remember to stop by the craft store while I am out and about. But, my sister has used her knitting needles as hair sticks in a pinch and she loves them.

And... not entirely the same but I've used a crochet hook in a pinch - just making sure to use the rounded end to insert it and leaving the hook end out of my hair. In a hurry, nearly anything will do.

Length
    25/??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Delila View Post

Just wrap one in a cloth (to avoid scratches) and bend it around a doorknob.
    Thanks Delila for posting your technique. I'm definitely going to try this.

Length
    ??/40"?/??
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Wow, so they work! I'm glad I checked with you guys! And I never would have thought of bending one in half to make a fork--I can't wait to try it. I'll stop by the craft store tomorrow to get them. (And I'll report back to let you know how it works out!)