Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knitting needles as hairsticks???

Length
    ?/56.5/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

LOL! That's exactly where I got some of my hairsticks! And I really like the bamboo ones! I left some of the metal ones straight and bent some of them. I can sleep in a high bun with the bent ones. If one gets lost, big deal. They are replaceable!

I say go for it! I think you'll like them and the price is certainly right!

Mariah
    "Sorry don't get it done, Dude." -- John Wayne in "Rio Bravo"
    ?/56.5/50~2b/c~ii (I'm 5'4" tall)

I am wearing one of those folded in half ones right now So yes, definitely try them. If one leg comes out longer, bend out the shorter leg, and push the longer one toward the shorter one. I recently got a 3mm difference between legs reduced to nothing using that trick.

Length
    :(/:(/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I use dpns as hair sticks sometimes. I use those for knitting though so I'm more likely to use a little red crochet hook in my hair. I don't know how to crochet. Knit Picks has sets of Harmonywood dpns that are stronger than bamboo and more flexible than metal. I would go with size 3. If you like more length, they have larger diameter needles in 8" lengths too. 8" sticks out well past my head but whatever works for you. I'm just saying.
    Lady Chalchihuitlicue of the Flowing Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    bsl/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I wish we could get those coloured double ended knitting needles over here in Germany. We do get some bamboo ones and ebony wood ones now, but those you can't bend. As far as metal knitting needles go it's still just plain old industrial grey all the way. And just as with Amish pins, I cannot really get myself to pay international postage for ordering such a low cost item from overseas, it just seems too manifestly absurd.

Greetings

katharine

the mad Finnish bint Laululintu's Avatar
    Length
    waist/tbl/???
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I've used metal dpns as hairsticks before, but I haven't bought any as hair toys, as you can only buy grey metal ones here. I might get a pair of rosewood/ebony dpns though for my hair, as I'm not sure my bamboo ones are strong enough for updos.
    Lady in the Order of the Longhaired Knights
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. Martin Luther King

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I use them (metal ones), unfortunately my current ones are starting to be pretty bent. My family members always shy away from me when I have them on. Because I have yet again sharp objects in my hair.
    Lady Illmater Mother of Väinämöinen in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

As an avid knitter, I frequently have knitting needles in my hair! Bamboo double points make great hairsticks. I've not tried the trick with bending a metal stick to make a fork, but I just might try that with some of my "orphaned" metal double points.
    bikerbraid

~~~ O _
    ------ _\\/\-%
    ____(_)= (_)___
    The problem with the gene pool is there is no lifeguard.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I keep a bent dpn in my pocket most days, in case I have a hairstyle failure. They're one of my main "works when nothing else is working" items.

ETA: I'm wearing one today!
    Last edited by Anje; March 14th, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I keep knitting needles at work for this purpose. They work great as hairsticks. I have very thick hair and even the thin ones hold my buns.

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Length
    12/???/45
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

I used dpkns to put up my hair long before I bought my sticks and forks, and I still use them around the house. I actually wore a red one yesterday with my red outfit. Brilliant .
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Space empty until further notice