Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A possible trimming experiment.

Length
    25"/34.5"/???
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Angry A possible trimming experiment.

I'm thinking about trimming quite a bit off today and then not trimming again until 2013. I don't know how my hair would react or how it will grow or if I'll reach the 47" goal by the end of next year. I do know that I will have to do S&D missions more often but that's ok. If I do this, it would be just to find out how my hair would react, if it would look more healthy or worse, and how much length I can actually get in one year if I don't trim at all. I don't know if I would like it or not or anything else. I've never tried to go that long without trimming so I don't know anything at this point. What do you all think?
    Shelly
    25/34.5/?????

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

Default Re: A possible trimming experiment.

Well, I think as long as your hair is healthy there is no need to trim it. My hair is still pretty short, but I'm not going to trim at all for a few more years or until I start finding a lot of splits, which ever is first.

How often do you trim now? Are you growing out damage?

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Type
    2b/M/iii

It would be a pity to spend all that time growing out, only to find at the end that your hair didn't look good because you didn't trim it to remove the damage.

S and D is fine..up to a point..but an overall trim is your best bet to keep ALL those delicate ends healthy. You need only trim every 3 or 4 months..say a quarter of an inch.

Length
    25"/34.5"/???
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Right now I trim every 4 to 6 months depending on what my hair is doing but no one can tell how long it actually is because of the thin ends. Last night I asked my DBF how long my hair appeared to be and he told me TBL which is about 2" shorter than it actually is. The last 2" are so thin no one can even see it. I do S&D when I can but the ends are really bothering me. I, at least, want it to look the length it is.

ETA: I am due for another trim, I'm just trying to decide how much.
    Shelly
    25/34.5/?????

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

You should start small, maybe a 1/2 in or inch, then see what it looks like. You can always take off more, but you cant put what you cut off back on.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

YMMV, of course, but I've done two separate one-year trials of no trimming, only S&D. At the end of each year, I ended up cutting off most if not all of the length I had gained because the ends were dried out and split to pieces (S&D can only do so much before I'm temporarily blinded from eye fatigue). So it was gain 7 inches, cut 7 inches.

When I trim a little bit about every 3-4 months, I gain about 5-1/2 inches of length in a year that I get to keep. I can't explain why it works that way, but it does. So for me, no more no-trimming years.

What do you consider a big trim? For some people 2" is a big trim, for others it is more.

I trim my hair twice to three times per year now. Last year it got scalped by a scissor happy stylist who took off 5" of my hair when I specifically told him not to touch my length (I wanted a sexier layered look). I wanted to grow my lenght back and decided to trim less often.

If find after four to six months my ends start to look like the ends of uncut blades of grass. Not a bad thing, but it isn't for me. This week I self trimmed 1 1/4" of hair and it looks and feels much better.

Why not just trim a few times per year instead of cutting off one big chunk (then again your chunk may be 2" and if it is I am not against that!) It really depends on what condition your ends are in. If damaged, they'll just continue to break and snap off anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    YMMV, of course, but I've done two separate one-year trials of no trimming, only S&D. At the end of each year, I ended up cutting off most if not all of the length I had gained because the ends were dried out and split to pieces (S&D can only do so much before I'm temporarily blinded from eye fatigue). So it was gain 7 inches, cut 7 inches.
    Funny comment about S&D. I get eye fatigue, too and have given it up!

Do you have any length photos of the times when didn't trim for one year?

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

It might work, or it really might not work.

Basically, in some people / some hairtypes, trimming small amounts (i.e. 1/2" or less) regularly (i.e. every 1-3 months) actually increases the total amount of length-gain because it prevents length-loss from breakage at the tips that would otherwise happen and is greater than the trim amount. In these individuals, the tips of the hair need regular maintenance to remain healthy and, without this, quickly and progressively degrade and break away. (An example of this is Spidermom, who posted whilst I was typing).

However, in other people / hairtypes, hair will split a certain amount (e.g. a tiny 1-2mm split) and this initial damage never develops into anything more serious, thus resulting in minimal length-loss by breakage. In some even luckier people/hairtypes, splitting/breaking barely happens and thus length-loss by breakage barely happens.

So, I would advise doing regular measurements (e.g. monthly) and, if in the first 6-9 months of your no-trim experiment you see no length-gain, I would scrap it and change your routine for one with tiny, but regular, trims. If you see good (i.e. 1/2"+ per month) length-gain, I would keep up the no-trim experiment but also keep up the measuring and revert to trimming if length-stall (or loss of hair quality, or increased taper) is seen.

Another thing to consider is that splitting/damage/breakage can be prevented/reduced by ensuring the ends are gently treated and have the correct balance of moisture : protein. So, a long no-trim stint is much more likely to be successful if you combine it with an every-day up-do stint, plus ensure the hair is moisturised and generally happy.

So, in summary, your routine may be possible. However, it requires regular observation (both of length and of condition, and of taper) and regular reaction to what you observe (e.g. S&D, micro-trim, moisturising treatment on the ends, protein treatment on the ends, increased use of protective styling, etc.).

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I did a no-trimming year when I first got to LHC, and it was... ok, I guess. I won't be repeating it.
    My normal trimming schedule is twice a year, which is perfect for me.

When I did the full year I didn't get outrageous damage, but I wasn't happy with my hair's appearance for the last 4 months or so. My hair naturally grows at different rates, so my hemline was uneven and looked straggly; it was dry and tangly at the ends, and I didn't enjoy looking at it or touching it at all. Not worth it. I like to enjoy my hair, I don't want length at the expense of happiness!

So maybe just stretch your trim schedule gradually? If you normally go four months, try five and then evaluate; if it looks good hold out and check again at 6 months, etc.