Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go to styles when travelling

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Go to styles when travelling

I'm just past waist so I have lots of options but I'm looking for some ideas for style to wear on our upcoming trip Paris, Zurich, Abu Dabi). Normally I would just to updos but when I'm in a plane for 24 hours and trains for around 7 hours, I'm going to need something that allows me to relax my head on the back of the seat.

I also want something that's going to stay out of my face but look nice in photos. I'm thinking of a pouf with a low pony or english braid.

Any other thoughts based on travelling experience?

Length
    SL/Class/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Go to styles when travelling

I usually do a French plait when I'm travelling. Looks nice and allows for head-resting.

Length
    0"/36/40"
    Type
    3b/F/M/iii

Will you have to sleep in it? Or better do you want it so comfi that you can sleep in it?

For me french braids always worked the trick...you can tuck the braid away or bun it up or for sleeping let it loose

Personally updo like a cinnamon bun or so would be too uncomfi especially when sit-sleeping on the train.

Hope that helps...

OH, if your roots/scalp gets achey try lavender oil...always relaxes me on long trips...you could do a little batch of your fav hair oil and just put a view drops of lav. oil in it, massage your scalp especially in the front to stay relaxed

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I was going to say a braided bun with your ficcare but, as you want to do some resting maybe just a braid.
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Length
    apl/waist/tbone
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

In this cases, I usually wear two braids. They are very comfortable and look good in pictures I find I can't relax my head the same way if I am wearing a single braid.

Length
    1/34.6"/41
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'd do a french or english braid into a braided bun. Then when you want to rest your head or go to sleep you just take out the sticks and you're set. In the morning you can bun it again to keep it out of the way.
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 CL 15 16 17 18 SL 20 21 22 23 APL 25 26 27 BSL 28 29 30 31 32 WL 34 35 36 HL 38 39 40 TB

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I used to wear 2 braids but at 38 I feel like it's a little young for me personally. I tried two dutch braids on either side going into one english braid at the back or low pony and it's actually not bad. I'll practice a little this week so that I can do it well without a mirror.

Type
    3a/M/ii

I second two braids. I nearly always have two braids, usually crossed or bunned, and they're quite easy when traveling, whether sitting or sleeping.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Quote Originally Posted by julliams View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I used to wear 2 braids but at 38 I feel like it's a little young for me personally.
    I will have to disagree since I'm older than you and wear 2 braids from time to time - the key is to make them more behind than on the sides, thus from the front you look just the same as with one single braid. And then when you want a change you can put them up in a chinese bun.
    What I prefer to do when traveling : 2 braids, or better, 4. Because the smaller they are, the better they'll be able to sustain "wear" - less frizz, etc. Also the wieght is better distrbuted with 4 than with 2. And you still get the benefit of the sectionning in two when you want to relax (pull each braid in front of you on its side, very comfortable). Out of the plane for a more polished look : up in a bun (chinese bun + 2 upper braids coiled around), or gathered in the back in a ponytail (with a slide or such if you want, sometimes I just cross the upper raids around the 2 lower ones and knot them). Or just put a bandana on top if you like the look, which will keep the braids in control behind while not hiding them totally.
    Really if you plan not to be able to do your hair for a long time, several smaller braids is the way to go.
    Last edited by slz; September 11th, 2011 at 06:55 AM.

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I hope I haven't offended anyone as I know there are many women older than me that do wear two braids but for me personally I feel it doesn't look right on me. But yes, putting them more to the back might just be the trick. I'm trialling it right now though and it is quite comfortable.

It's not that I want to not do my hair - the frizz wouldn't allow me to do that (plus I love combing/brushing through my hair). I'm going to wear it to two dutch braids for the next couple of days and see how it goes. I can always try a headband or bandana too.

Thanks again.