Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many hairs a day do you lose?

Default How many hairs a day do you lose?

Hi everyone! I am new here, before was just reading this forum. This forum is reat,lots of great advises.
    I was just curious how many hairs a day do you lose? I dnt know maybe I shuldnt worry, but now I am losing much more har than before especially after washing.
    Would be just interesting to find out.
    Thank you!

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

I've never counted, and I'm not good at making guesses on such things. So I haven't a clue. I try not to think about it. I have been shedding more lately because of the season change... or maybe I only THINK I'm shedding more because my hair has gotten significantly longer so it just looks like more hair's shedding when it's the same number. Hard to say. Either way though I try not to focus on it and instead just focus on taking good care of my hair so it can look and feel it's best.

That said I think I recall hearing in the past that the average person sheds something around 100 hairs a day. I don't know how true/accurate that is though.

Length
    17/22/30
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Hm, 50-150 per day I believe.

I say don't worry about it unless you can actually pull out this number of hair at once. This happened to my mom because she had cancer.

Did you dye your hair recently? I noticed that when I used to dye mine, it fell out a lot more.
    Lady Lirr of the Heart-Stirring Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

There have been days when I've lost handfuls of hair. Also days when I don't notice any hair loss. I don't pay much attention to it either way, other than an occasional HOLY COW! (no offense intended to cows or worshippers of cows or anything that is holy)

Length
    19"/31"/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I seem to shed the most after washing, too. I think that may be because the water loosens more hair... (Just making a guess here)
    Lady Enyo of the Brave Victory in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    (no offense intended to cows or worshippers of cows or anything that is holy)
    *giggles* That really tickled me!

Moving back to the topic- It depends on the day. On shampoo days I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-75 hairs. CO days are probably around 3-25. I try not to count. It makes me sad to see hairs leave.

Length
    Chin/TBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

It depends. When I'm going through a shed phase I'll often loose 150+ hairs per day. But other than shed phases, if I wash twice a week my shed rate is around 80 per day.

ETA: Certain things make me shed abnormaly, such as SLS, conditioner left on my scalp more than a minute or so, washing less than once a week, and brushing.

Lady Sunrise of the Prairie

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

I lose maybe 30-50 hairs a day. Some days I lose more than others...not sure why.

Length
    Shldr/Hip/?
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

I don't count, but - far more than I'd like, especially when I wash my hair.

It was pointed out to me recently though that 50 waist-length hairs makes a far bigger handful than 50 shoulder-length. So maybe I'm not shedding that much - it feels like it, though. Even looking at the floor after combing sometimes makes me go (have to love the amount of smileys here!)

Length
    n/a/37"/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I usually don't count, but I have recently done so a couple of times when I thought I was shedding more than usually. I counted about 50 shed hairs then so I suppose I have nothing to worry about. I did lose more hairs when I used shampoo though, but the difference was caused by breakage rather than shedding. Since I quit using shampoo I have very little, if any, breakage