Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many hairs a day do you lose?

Length
    31/32/38+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I find that wearing hair up for long stretches at a time seems to increase shed but I think hair that came loose during the day fall out during combing when the hair is taken down rather than one at a time during the day like it would if the hair was worn loose.

I have never counted my hairs but I would estimate 50 or less on an average day.

Lady Ryaeh Violet of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    25"/40"/40"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I don't think I've ever lost more than 20-30 hairs naturally in a day. I've certainly pulled out more than that from rough brushing in the past, but I don't notice much shedding otherwise...

Length
    APL/BSL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I think I shed about 30 hairs a day.But during my post partum shedding I could shed about 200 a day.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I never count, but I can tell you it's way more now that I'm back to CO washing (particularly when/after I wash it) than it was when I was doing WO. I may need to find a better compromise between the two methods.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    .5 in/21 in/??
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Im glad this thread was posted. I was thinking about posting this very thread last night in the shower when I was running my fingers through my freshly conditioned hair and getting hair stuck all over my fingers.

But I dont think I shed more than about 10 when I comb, and about 30-50 when I wash. I think the longer it gets it just looks like more? I swear I never remember losing hair when I was younger and had shorter hair.

Length
    pixie/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I'm not gentle with my hair at all and I only lose around 5 to 10 a day. I just don't shed very much and I have very thick wavy hair. There are only a few in the shower drain when I wash my hair.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I did count. My "high season" hair loss is around 70 a day. "low season" is around 30 - 40 a day. Unfortunately my low season is only about 3 - 4 months a year. My hair is dark and very visible. So I don't think there are too many missed and not counted. DH has fine hair and we're never sure how much hair he loses.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

i seem to go through phases where i loose loads say 100 and other times where i loose none, i too only really notice when im washing it
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Quote Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
    A LOT.

I've tried to count my shed hairs in the shower, but it's hard to get completely accurate numbers because the amount of time between washes varies. Plus I do shed some hairs between washes, and I shed more when I wash with some conditioners than with others.

But I think I shed at least 80-100 a day, sometimes more. And I don't have thick hair. Also, about half my shed hairs are 8" or under.. I think those are from around my hairline? I hope so anyway.

The good news is that it's waist length when wet, even with damage doesn't look too thin, and it's still growing like crazy. So relatively heavy shedding doesn't mean you can't have long hair.. though I don't know that I will ever make it to extreme lengths.
    Yes, I shed short hairs too which are 8" or under so I dont know why maybe I just have to quit beeing so obsessed about it and that's ok...

mother of microtrims :P
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Really not many. It got less though since I started using Sulfate free products which sort of irrtated my scalp.
    So about 5-10 in the morning and maybe 15 more over the day = 35 ? Sounds good.