Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you keep your hair from tangling?

Length
    9/26/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: How do you keep your hair from tangling?

Best is to keep your hair cuticles intact. If they are not opened or striped your hair will be smooth and won't tangle as much.
    Every time we detangle, finger comb, rub, separate streaks, etc. The friction on our hair caused by that makes or hair shaft weaker therefore more prone to tangle.

I have a little girl with straight and the finest, yet thicker hair. I NEVER comb her hair. Looks tangled after the shower but when it dryes every single hair finds its way down in an incredibly smooth way. She never has tangles once her hair is dry. I believe keeping all the stress of combing her hair out of her hair helps tremendously in keeping it strong and healthy.
    We will see how it grows...

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Zenity View Post
    Best is to keep your hair cuticles intact. If they are not opened or striped your hair will be smooth and won't tangle as much.
    Every time we detangle, finger comb, rub, separate streaks, etc. The friction on our hair caused by that makes or hair shaft weaker therefore more prone to tangle.

I have a little girl with straight and the finest, yet thicker hair. I NEVER comb her hair. Looks tangled after the shower but when it dryes every single hair finds its way down in an incredibly smooth way. She never has tangles once her hair is dry. I believe keeping all the stress of combing her hair out of her hair helps tremendously in keeping it strong and healthy.
    We will see how it grows...
    For some people, this won't work. If you don't have straight hair, for instance - curly hair is curly because the cuticles are *not* intact. It just grows that way. I agree too much combing isn't good for mechanical damage, however if I didn't detangle my hair it would matt into dreadlocks, not slip out of tangles. Also people with porous hair, whatever straightness/curliness level have naturally opened, disrupted cuticles so this won't work for them either.

What I'm saying here is that without knowing more about the OP's hair, it's impossible to know whether this will work for her or be a disaster. With 1b/1c hair, it could go either way.
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Length
    9/26/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Celebriangel, you are totally right. Forgot to mention that point, but yes, that only works if you have sleek, straight hair.

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I use childrens de-tangling spray when its wet and it seems to keep it tangle free when its dry too. Other than that I just keep my favourite brush on standby and give the ends a thorough brushing.
    SOCK BUN ADDICT
    STASH CHALLENGE & NO DYE CHALLENGE

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

A little oil in my hair makes tangling much, much worse because it attracts dust and lint.

My no-tangle recipe:
    1) Coney serum (don't overdo it).
    2) Wear a very smooth top (nothing nubby or rough).
    3) Avoid tossing your head and playing with your hair.