Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been hennaning for years now it's turned out horrible!

Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Been hennaning for years now it's turned out horrible!

I've been hennaning for years with no problems. I have always used BAQ henna from Mehandi. About a year ago I started mixing indigo in with no problems. The henna I've used the past year or so is the Rajasthani Twilight henna. I've even used Cassia before.

Well last night I mixed my henna like usual, then today I added the sample sizes of indigo, alma, and cassia to it. I left it on for 3 hours. When I rinsed in the shower it was very difficult to get out and I rinsed for at least 30 minutes or more and the entire time orange color kept rinsing out. I never had that happen before. Usually the water always runs clear before I stop. When I took white towel off my head the towel was orange. That has never happened before and my hair color looks bright red/orange wet! It has never looked this color before! I also have brown hair if that matters. The cassia should not have made that much of a difference because it was a sample size. It makes me wonder if I was not sent BAQ henna due to the bleeding off on my towel and the color is horrible.
    Finally at BSL!!! Now aiming for waist!
    Lady Olivia Protector of the Sacred Rose in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    21.5"/40.2"/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Been hennaning for years now it's turned out horrible!

Henna head here. Not sure what this is but I am posting in the hope that people will see you post and answer this for you. It sounds very distressing.
    1b/F/M/iii APL~BSL~MBL~WL~Elbow~Hip~BCL~TBL 40" Finally!

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I've been henna-ing for nearly a year now, and I'd be quite distressed if that happened to me! That's so weird that it would have changed so much. I hope a more knowledgeable/experienced henna head comes along and might be able to figure out what happened. Was the paste the same texture as usual? Did you cover your head as usual? Was there some wonky environmental aspect going on (super high humidity, temperature, etc.?) perhaps?
    BALDPIXIECHINSHOULDERAPLBSLWAISTHLTL
    Henna enhanced auburn-haired girl

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

What was done to your hair before you put the henna on?

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

I've had times when I get more orange color rinsing out until I get tired of it and just get out of the shower, put an old towel on my head. I think adding the cassia gave you more of an orange instead of a red, because cassia adds a little yellow to the mix. I would probably oil my hair and shampoo again tomorrow and that should get the rest of the dye out. By tomorrow your dye will darken to a more red and less orange. hth.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    pixie/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I have been using henna for many years and my hair always bleeds orange. It does it everytime I wash but it is very light. I think the indigo, amla and cassia are what made your hair more orange. I tried indigo a couple of times and it always made my white roots a nasty yellow color. I just use pure Raj Twlight and have no problems at all.

You might want to just do a straight henna and see if it gets better.

Length
    ears/20ish/knee+
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by CopperHead View Post
    I have been using henna for many years and my hair always bleeds orange. It does it everytime I wash but it is very light. I think the indigo, amla and cassia are what made your hair more orange. I tried indigo a couple of times and it always made my white roots a nasty yellow color. I just use pure Raj Twlight and have no problems at all.

You might want to just do a straight henna and see if it gets better.
    Hi, what do you use to mix your henna with, please? Water or lemon juice? I'm brand new here so I can't seem to see much. In case you have pics of your color. I just ordered that raj twilight and am wondering which to use. Thanks!

Olivia, the color in your signature is just gorgeous

Length
    pixie/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Serene Bee View Post
    Hi, what do you use to mix your henna with, please? Water or lemon juice? I'm brand new here so I can't seem to see much. In case you have pics of your color. I just ordered that raj twilight and am wondering which to use. Thanks!

Olivia, the color in your signature is just gorgeous
    I use berry herbal tea and I add some powdered hisbiscus flowers to my henna. The tea is very warm when I add it so it dye releases very quickly. I used to use lemon juice but I get much better color without it. It takes much longer to dy release with lemon juice and it can make your hair and scalp dry too. Even very warm water will work.

The Raj Twlight is a beautiful henna! I get a dark auburn with a ruby tone. It can be a little gritty, but use a lot of conditioner to rinse it out and you should be fine. I don't have a pic of my hair but I will try to have my friend take one soon.

Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm not sure why your color turned out like it did. The sample sizes are very tiny, no? 3 gm or so? and that should not make much difference.

I'm wondering how the color is now, 2 days after you hennaed. Has the color calmed down much, and is still different from what you're used to seeing?
    My plant dye strand tests - Henna, cassia, indigo, buxus on mohair: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3933575...7619485710101/

Length
    Bald/SL/CL
    Type
    1c/M/ii

BAQ comes off on my towel too. I thought that was normal, and I got my batch from Mehandi a few weeks ago, it was my first time. maybe their current batches suck?