Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thin Hair and Henna

Length
    16/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Default Thin Hair and Henna

Hi guys,
    I'm really considering henna because although I do like my virgin color, I have very thin and weak hair. I wouldn't mind a bit of a shade change either though. However, reading around I noticed that henna may change my hair texture to be less wavy. I'm worried about that, since I feel that the small amount of wave I get is what makes my hair look thicker than it actually is and gives me more volume. On the contrary, many people seem to notice thicker looking hair after henna. Really, my main goal is to have thicker looking, less flat hair.

So for those with fine or thin hair,
    how has henna affected your thickness and volume? Has henna helped your thin hair or weighed it down? Also, for those with either thick or thin hair, if henna took away your wave, did your hair appear more flat after treatments?

Default Re: Thin Hair and Henna

for me, it adds a little bit of thickness the first week or so then it wears off. I think it's just the plant coating that fluffs it up and makes it look thicker. I only have 2 coatings of henna though, and a couple of henna glosses..maybe if I kept hennaing to saturation it would have that thick look all the time (been meaning to test this on a strand of hair).

it has taken some wave out of my hair, but not completely.

Length
    PIXIE/CHIN/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

For me henna has made my fine/thin hair stronger. My sister tried to s&d my hair, and didn't find one split. She was amazed that such soft hair could be so strong. I think that by reinforcing the hair it has allowed my hair to grow longer. Also, my baby hairs stay fuller-looking.

I too like my virgin hair color. I have natural white-blonde hightlights. But I can't go without the henna treatments, they add vibrancy, shine, and in the long term thickness because the hair is stronger and less prone to splitting.

Length
    Nape/Shldr/BSL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

It fluffed up my hair for a few weeks too, but then wore off. However I can see the difference in strength and diameter when I compare it to my pre-henna hairs. The other day I found a new hair that had fallen out on my desk and it was positively coarse! shocking i almost couldn't believe it was mine, though that could also be influenced from the castor oil treatments I have been doing.

I have curly hair also, and i added a spoonful of Amla to my henna mix, it helps keep your curl, I have never had an issue with losing my curl from henna

Length
    Chin/BCL/CL
    Type
    2a/F/i

I will go with the consensus that my hair was thicker feeling for the first week or so ,I have done 3 full head henna treatments.
    My hair is fine, thin and wavy I have not noticed a difference in my wave pattern so for me it has had no affect.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Length
    25/35/41

Henna had a huge effect on my curls after I used it for a year even using it with amla and hence, I've stopped using it altogether. I also did not get much improvement in terms of thickness or the glossy colour that is associated with henna but that may because curly hair is naturally dry and lacks moisture. I have started using amla but I do think the product I am using does cause a colour change. It has made my hair thicker as well as look darker which I like and has added a gloss as well.
    Last edited by 30isthenewblack; August 27th, 2011 at 07:13 PM.

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by tanpopokitty View Post
    Hi guys,
    So for those with fine or thin hair,
    how has henna affected your thickness and volume? Has henna helped your thin hair or weighed it down? Also, for those with either thick or thin hair, if henna took away your wave, did your hair appear more flat after treatments?
    My hair is fine, thin, AND wavy, so I'll give your questions a go...:

I have been colouring my hair with a henna/cassia mix for a little over 2 years now. I noticed my hair is thicker now, but that may be also due to me taking better care of it in general than just the henna. There is as others have said a definite post-henna thickness change for about two weeks or so right after a treatment.

The henna has definitely made it glossier and, I feel, strengthened it. I don't think the henna has really weighed it down -- as my hair gets longer it tends to pull my waves out around the crown, which I have never liked but this has always been true. I haven't noticed a significant difference in my wave pattern related to henna, really. I have considered adding amla to my henna to see if it makes any difference, but I only henna my new growth, not my length. I thought I had read amla makes the henna colour darker? Which I don't want, so I never tried this.
    Lady Nemhain, Keeper of the Underworld Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - 2a/2b - F - i

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

My hair is baby fine and medium thickness but can look thin because of how fine it is. It's also very curly but so fine it doesn't hold its own curl well so I usually wear it in braid waves.

I've been using henna for over 3 years now and yes, it thickens it for a week or 2 then it's back normal(just about). In the beginning I felt it made my hair stronger but now I'm not sure. I get breakage easily when it's too dry or I get protein overload- both happen easily since henna coats the shaft and has made it hard for moisture to get in and easy for protein(and just about everything else ) to build up.

I also thought it was great for shine but haven't hennaed in several months and my naturally black hair is MUCH shinier than the hennaed hair which looks ruddy and dull comparitively.

Finally, I think it has loosened the curls on the ends of my apl hair because the virgin roots are a bit curlier(but less frizzy). Keep in mind though I've only done full head hennas and have never tried to only do the roots. The looser curl may also be length but I'm not sure?

Whatever you decide I would suggest testing henna on some shed hair before doing your whole head. It's quite permanent.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Length
    Chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Have you thought about using cassia? Its supposed to have the same effects as henna, minus the colour change. Cassia might only add a bit of yellow to your hair if its light. The effects of cassia are supposed to last for about a month.

If you love your natural hair colour, I wouldn't mess with it personally. If you do decide to henna, make sure you think about it before you make your decision. The only way to get your natural colour back is to cut out it or grow it out.

I have hennaed hair, and I love it. I have noticed that my hair is stronger, healthier and shinier, but its also very red-orange-auburney, depending on the lighting. It is a bit too dark for me however. Unless you're 100% happy with the colour (red-orange) and want to keep it for a long time, the other benefits are not worth it IMO.

Length
    APL/MBL/Hip?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

I have slightly wavy (wonky, lols!) hair that is on the thin side, and I don't think henna has changed the waviness much at all. My hair is thicker and bouncier post-henna, though the effect does wear off.
    I love everything about henna, the colour, the shine, the strength it gives my hair, the ritual of application. I can hardly wait to see how much it improves as the years pass.
    Passionate about puny ponytails