Thread: Oily hair all of a sudden??

Default Oily hair all of a sudden??

My hair has all of a sudden, gotten very greasy. I have tried CO-washing, rinsing with ACV, different types of conditioner, my old regular routine. Nothing seems to be working. I try to clean it well but gently, let it air-dry and it is still greasy in the under-hair at my neck. But my ends seem dry. (tho' when I try to lightly oil them, my hair gets even worse...)
    The only thing I've thought of--I started taking Omega3-6-9 capsules several weeks ago. Is there any way they are making my hair greasy

I went from really liking my hair, to now hating it--not wanting to touch or look at it because I think it is so ugly.

Help??

Length
    19/21.5/26
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Oily hair all of a sudden??

Quote Originally Posted by PoliticalPilot View Post
    My hair has all of a sudden, gotten very greasy. I have tried CO-washing, rinsing with ACV, different types of conditioner, my old regular routine. Nothing seems to be working. I try to clean it well but gently, let it air-dry and it is still greasy in the under-hair at my neck. But my ends seem dry. (tho' when I try to lightly oil them, my hair gets even worse...)
    The only thing I've thought of--I started taking Omega3-6-9 capsules several weeks ago. Is there any way they are making my hair greasy

I went from really liking my hair, to now hating it--not wanting to touch or look at it because I think it is so ugly.

Help??
    It's possible the Omega 3-6-9 has affected it. If it's the only real difference in your routine, I'd recommend cutting that out for a week or so (unless you are taking them for a serious medical problem, then contact your doctor!) and see what happens.

Length
    pixie/chin/30"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Have you tried using tea tree oil ? A scalp massage with a few drops of tea tree oil in a light carrier oil (I like apricot seed oil but grapeseed oil would probably work nicely here as well) before washing would probably be helpful. My hair likes to get greasy pretty quick in the summertime and this usually does the trick.

nearly bangs-less! 10/19/11.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My personal belief is that scalps occasionally do strange things, just like bodies in general. If you're usually doing CO, though, it might be worth one good clarifying wash. There's a possibility that you've got some buildup, perhaps blocking your hair's tendency to suck up scalp oil and contributing to the dry ends, but even if you have no buildup it'll at least degrease everything quickly.

It seems plausible that the oil supplement is affecting this (I've heard enough people claim their faces stop being dry after they start taking one), but I'm inclined to first blame the weather. Maybe it's warmer than usual or you've been a bit active, and it got your scalp more oily and sweaty than usual?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    18/27/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

My face and hair became noticeably oilier when I started taking omega 3's, but after awhile (a couple months or so), it became less oily and now I think I'm back to my normal semi-dry skin/hair. Maybe it's just an adjustment period thing, like extending your wash periods. My hair used to need washing every day (I thought) and now I can easily go three days before it gets oily. I want to eventually make it to a week. If it helps, I do think the omega 3's are one of the main factors in my hair growth. It has grown much quicker than it ever has before and I have been taking them for almost a year. (I just found this site and have only started the techniches such as no blow drying, hot rolling etc. for the last month, so I definitely think the supplements are helping.)

Length
    pixie/chin/30"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Have you tried using tea tree oil ? A scalp massage with a few drops of tea tree oil in a light carrier oil (I like apricot seed oil but grapeseed oil would probably work nicely here as well) before washing would probably be helpful. My hair likes to get greasy pretty quick in the summertime and this usually does the trick.

nearly bangs-less! 10/19/11.

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Some additional ideas:
    - clarifying wash just on the scalp in case it is build up there
    - diluted conditioner used in CO wash, especially to the area that is staying greasy
    - boar bristle brush to help distribute the oils

It seems counter intuitive, but I find diluted conditioner works better on my scalp than full strength.

Length
    Pixie/Chin/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SpinDance View Post
    Some additional ideas:
    - clarifying wash just on the scalp in case it is build up there
    - diluted conditioner used in CO wash, especially to the area that is staying greasy
    - boar bristle brush to help distribute the oils

It seems counter intuitive, but I find diluted conditioner works better on my scalp than full strength.
    I agree with all this! Especially the part about diluting the conditioner.
    “And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” ~Kahlil Gibran
    My soul finds rest in God alone because my confidence comes from Him -Psalm 62:5

Thank you so, so much!!
    I don't actually do CO-washing any more, because I couldn't get my hair clean. But I will try the diluted CO, and see if that works better. I never thought of that before :bangs head:.
    I did a clarifying wash (shampoo with baking soda) a few washes ago, and I don't think it helped. :-/
    I started remembering to use my BBB too, so hopefully that helps! If things are still bad, I will try a couple drops of TeaTree Oil. :-)
    I'm also cutting out the Omega vitamins for a week to see if it helps. :-) If not, I want to keep using them. :-)

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

If CO doesn't work for you, that's OK, nothing works for everyone and it is quite a challenge to figure out what works for you. I didn't have any success with CO until after I went cone free.

Conditioner isn't the only thing I dilute. I find shampoo works best for me when diluted as well. While my conditioner dilution is about 1:1, or maybe a bit more water, the shampoo dilution I use is much more, maybe 2:1 to 4:1 water to shampoo. It really only takes a very tiny amount to clean just the scalp.

At some point I'll try oil shampoo again, but not until I've used up some of the stock of conditioners I've got!