Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a high ponytail even possible with our heavier hair?

Default Is a high ponytail even possible with our heavier hair?

My hair is between mid-back and waist; not super long but heavy enough that along with it's silkiness I can't keep a ponytail UP. In no time at all it is saggy at the bottom. Is it even possible with hair as long as ours to maintain a decently elevated ponytail?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Is a high ponytail even possible with our heavier hair?

Personally speaking, I don't recommend ponytails as a protective style. Once in a while..maybe..but not for really thick hair (and I did have very thick hair back in the day).

To begin with, you're inviting several problems with ponys: possible damage from breakage/friction, not to mention mechanical damage from dealing with tangles from the ponytail bouncing around all day.

If you must ponytail, then divide the pony in 2 sections. Loosely braid one section and wind it around the ponytail base and pin with hairpins (not bobby pins). If you don't want to braid it, then you could take one section, divide it in 2, then twine each section around the other under you have a "rope", then take the "rope" and wind it around the ponytail base.

I gave up on ponytails because the tail felt like an anvil and my hair got terribly tangled. Braids are much easier on the head and more protective as well.

Length
    Bob/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

My hair is a little shorter than yours but it won't stay up for anything. I get the saggy bottom or if I find a loose hair tie I can get it around 1 extra turn and it kinda stays but then it's so tight it feels like I'm ripping my hair out. I usually just do buns and some braids if my layers want to cooperate.

Pixie - Ear - Jaw - Chin - SL - CBL- APL- BSL - WL - HL - TBL

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

My hair is not that long, but for a ponytail that I believe will hold any hair, use a headband as a ponytail holder. (you know, those 5-7,5 cm broad fabric ones). I use tis for sports sometimes, as it keeps the hair of my neck.
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I have this problem too,with length I seem to be losing my ability to wear high buns and ponytails comfortably.It either falls down or is too tight.I'm watching this thread.

When my hair was at waist and I didn't have the hair care knowledge to know better, I attempted to do high ponies all the time. I always tried to sort of get the hair to "ride up" at the top befr coming down but could never get it. Now that my hair's between shoulder and ap I still don't think it would work if I tried because of my hair type. As was said, buns and braids are better

Length
    pixie/shldr/waist
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

If it's very healthy, you'll have problems for the elastic to not slide...

Other than that, I have never gotten past a few inches past BSL, but never found any other problem.

Recently I have seen a girl with what looks waist length in a ponytail... (once up it falls past BSL, so shall she let it down, I think it would be waist). Not sure of how healthy her hair is, though. I don't really think she babies it that much. It's WAY easier to hold a ponytail with kinda damaged hair.... (but you don't want to damage it just so you can have a ponytail, do you?)

divide the pony in 2 sections. Loosely braid one section and wind it around the ponytail base and pin with hairpins (not bobby pins
    I like that idea for when my hair grows again... I LOVE ponytails, and this one seems gentler on my hair.
    Now, I just have to let my hair grow.

PS: Yes, my English could be better. I'm still learning.

Loves coffee & updos Chamomile betty's Avatar
    Length
    20.5/BS/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I have a difficult time with pony tails. Usually it's the style that tangles my hair the most. I have thick heavy hair and my pony always falls. Sorry I can't help.
    20.5 ~ BS ~ 30 *Natural Blond w/ High & Lowlights* Bangs/Long Layers* Cone and Non Cone Products
    Always trying new products & styles.

I can do a ponytail still (my hair is not THAT long, though), but I had to forgo my claw clips because my hair is so heavy now ._. My pony circumference is about 4 2/5 inches. So I have clip issues anyway.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DarleneH View Post
    My hair is between mid-back and waist; not super long but heavy enough that along with it's silkiness I can't keep a ponytail UP. In no time at all it is saggy at the bottom. Is it even possible with hair as long as ours to maintain a decently elevated ponytail?
    I'm a iii, so a high ponytail without it sagging during the day - impossible. My hair's layered now so that might make things a little easier, but still... I'd need two thicker hairbands to keep the ponytail in position. So no, for me high ponytails at this length (past waist) are definitely out.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)