Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do combs stimulate scalp as much as brushes?

Default Do combs stimulate scalp as much as brushes?

Will a comb (or anything else really besides a brush) stimulate your scalp and spread oils along hair length as much as a boar bristle brush does?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Do combs stimulate scalp as much as brushes?

Personally speaking, a comb doesn't work for me. I enjoy the feel of boar bristles massaging my scalp (and yes, boar bristles can be felt on your scalp. It's all a manner of how you use your brush..and if the bristles themselves are stiff enough to have enough resistance when going thru the strands.)

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

I use combs for detangling, but for spreading oils, I think no comb will work as well as a BBB.

Took an arrow in the knee Alaia's Avatar
    Length
    APL/~TB/Knee!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I like using combs to scritch my scalp. This helps me get rid of any loose skin (ew I know but I have scalp flakes that I can't get rid of - probably stress related).

I use a BBB afterwards to spread the oil, because even a fine toothed comb doesn't do it for me.
    Lady Aineldiel of the Three-Fated Path in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TB - Classic - Fingertip - Knee!

Well, drat. I think my hair looks better if I don't brush it; brushing makes it a big bushy mess and drags the waves out of it. So I was going to try to convert to brushless but I also want the sebum distributed down hair length.

Thanks for the answers, girls.

Length
    APL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Βut does the BBB hurt hair? I think that it causes a lot of damage...i feel it harsh in my hair :S

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Βut does the BBB hurt hair? I think that it causes a lot of damage...i feel it harsh in my hair :S
    No, a bbb will not cause damage IF you brush your hair correctly and gently.

Brushing is not just putting the brush to your hair. It is how you use the brush that determines the overall effect it has on your hair.

Curlies might be better off using a comb for their locks but brushing with a pure bbb can do wonders for your hair..if used properly.

Just letting it grow ravenheather's Avatar
    Length
    16/23/Term
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    No, a bbb will not cause damage IF you brush your hair correctly and gently.

Brushing is not just putting the brush to your hair. It is how you use the brush that determines the overall effect it has on your hair.

Curlies might be better off using a comb for their locks but brushing with a pure bbb can do wonders for your hair..if used properly.
    So what is the proper technique?

Going for terminal, but also enjoying wearing my hair down and curly.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Here's how, ravenheather:

Brushing with a boar bristle brush

Bend at the waist and bring all hair in front of you like a curtain

Finger comb gently down through the hair (I use 2 fingers)

Take a small, thin section of hair, and working from the ends, comb it out gently with your wide tooth comb. Go up the strands, little by little, until you reach the roots. You might want to scrunchie the hair you have already detangled to keep it separate from the other hair.

Continue until all the hair has been detangled

BRUSHING – Canopy hair:

Start at the nape and slowly brush down your hair to the very ends. Go slowly!

Follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand. Your brush is the (+) and your hand is the minus (-). This method helps calm the static made by the brushing.

Underneath the canopy:

Place the brush bristles on your forehead and slowly move the brush into your front scalp hair. Raise the brush up slightly (about 3 inches), then extend your brush directly out in front of you then down to the floor. The brushing motion should be fluid. Moving from the hairline, up, out and down..all one motion..no jerking. Do it slowly!

Continue brushing again down the nape (canopy hair) and the under canopy hair.

When hair has been fully brushed, part it from nape to forehead so that it is in two sections.

Hold the ends of the hair so that the left section is in the left hand and the right section is in the right hand.

Stand erect.

Take the hair in the right hand and gently place it over the right shoulder and let it fall.

Do the same with the left hand side.

Check for tangles once again, then style as desired.

Number of strokes:

Is a matter of preference. Consistency is more important than quantity.

VERY IMPORTANT!

If you have never brushed your hair in the bent at the waist position (i.e. “upside down”, it is imperative that you start your brushing routine slowly...with a minimum of strokes.

Your hair follicles need time to adjust themselves to the way they are being brushed. If you brush too much, your scalp will HURT!

Thus, when starting out, start with 10 to 15 strokes to begin with. Then, over the next few weeks, add a stroke or two when you can do so comfortably. Keep adding strokes until you reach your goal.

About hair brushes:

Although I have no evidence to back this up, I think the shape of the brush has a lot to do with how well it interacts with your hair. My Goody brush is made of wood, measures 8.5 inches from top to bottom, is 1.4 inches wide, the handle measures 4 inches and it has 7 rows of moderately stiff, thin flexible black boar bristles. It is narrow and not oval. My hands are small and this type of brush is much more ergonomically friendly than a large, oval paddle brush.

About natural boar bristles:

They are the shed “hair” of the wild boar and as such, mesh well with going through human hair strands.

They can be of various lengths, thicknesses, colors. Stiffer, longer bristles are supposed to be able to handle thicker hair. Personally, a stiffer, thicker bristle didn't work for my very thick hair. I prefer a bristle that is still with a little flexibility to it.

The stiffness in your bbb will lessen with time...depending on how much you use it.

Miscellaneous:

For best results, keep your brush (and comb) squeaky clean. Wash both weekly (preferably more) and dry the brush, bristles side down, on a lint free cloth, out of the way of direct sunlight. Store it in an airtight box to keep lint/dust from getting on it.

Benefits of regular, daily boar bristle brushing:
    Distributes the hair's natural sebum down the strands
    Exercises your hair follicles, which is necessary for good hair growth
    Removes dead hair cells/lint/dust from your hair
    Over time will leave your hair glossy and incredibly soft

How often to brush:

Every day...in the morning..when you get up. Per Dr. George Michael, this is the optimum time to brush.

Try and be consistent – do the same number of strokes per day.

Brush gently and always detangle with a wide tooth comb BEFORE brushing.

Try to wear something other than nylon or rayon when brushing as both fabrics can cause more static.

Never, EVER, toss/fling/throw your hair over your head when you are finished brushing. You want to keep the hair as free of tangles as possible.

NEVER, EVER, BRUSH YOUR HAIR WHEN IT IS WET OR DAMP!

Keep your brush free of shed hairs. Clean it out after each brushing session!

Brushing is good for your hair, provided you use a natural boar bristle brush and the proper technique. (However, it is not recommend for curlies since the structure of their hair does not lend itself to brushing).

Nearly everything I've learned about hair care came from Dr. George Michael, the Czar of Long Hair. I've never been disappointed with his advice!

Brushing does work – it all boils down to your brush and how you use it.

Length
    16/30/50
    Type
    1b/F/i

Thanks Madora! I'm going to try this.