Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do combs stimulate scalp as much as brushes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Do combs stimulate scalp as much as brushes?

Will a comb (or anything else really besides a brush) stimulate your scalp and spread oils along hair length as much as a boar bristle brush does?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Do combs stimulate scalp as much as brushes?

Personally speaking, a comb doesn't work for me. I enjoy the feel of boar bristles massaging my scalp (and yes, boar bristles can be felt on your scalp. It's all a manner of how you use your brush..and if the bristles themselves are stiff enough to have enough resistance when going thru the strands.)

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

I use combs for detangling, but for spreading oils, I think no comb will work as well as a BBB.

Took an arrow in the knee Alaia's Avatar
    Length
    APL/~TB/Knee!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I like using combs to scritch my scalp. This helps me get rid of any loose skin (ew I know but I have scalp flakes that I can't get rid of - probably stress related).

I use a BBB afterwards to spread the oil, because even a fine toothed comb doesn't do it for me.
    Lady Aineldiel of the Three-Fated Path in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TB - Classic - Fingertip - Knee!

Well, drat. I think my hair looks better if I don't brush it; brushing makes it a big bushy mess and drags the waves out of it. So I was going to try to convert to brushless but I also want the sebum distributed down hair length.

Thanks for the answers, girls.

Length
    APL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Βut does the BBB hurt hair? I think that it causes a lot of damage...i feel it harsh in my hair :S

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Βut does the BBB hurt hair? I think that it causes a lot of damage...i feel it harsh in my hair :S
    No, a bbb will not cause damage IF you brush your hair correctly and gently.

Brushing is not just putting the brush to your hair. It is how you use the brush that determines the overall effect it has on your hair.

Curlies might be better off using a comb for their locks but brushing with a pure bbb can do wonders for your hair..if used properly.

Just letting it grow ravenheather's Avatar
    Length
    16/23/Term
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    No, a bbb will not cause damage IF you brush your hair correctly and gently.

Brushing is not just putting the brush to your hair. It is how you use the brush that determines the overall effect it has on your hair.

Curlies might be better off using a comb for their locks but brushing with a pure bbb can do wonders for your hair..if used properly.
    So what is the proper technique?

Going for terminal, but also enjoying wearing my hair down and curly.

Length
    16/30/50
    Type
    1b/F/i

Thanks Madora! I'm going to try this.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

The technique Madora described is excellent. But I noticed that some ladies on this thread have F type hair, fine hair is silky and more fragile, so frequent brushing, even if gentle, may not be the best approach as it can lead to split ends and breakage, called acquired trichorrhexis nodosa.

Brushing makes my hair look very sleek and shiny, spreads oils, but it may be chipping away at some roughened hair cuticles, so I avoid it for the same reasons as I avoid some hair styling techniques that impart shine but may be rough on hair. There is a traditional method of putting a piece of silk on top of a BBB and smoothing/polishing hair that way. It's probably a much gentler way of imparting shine and spreading oils.

Here is a study that some LHC-ers may find useful:

The Effect of Brushing on Hair Loss in Women: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19016066

RESULTS:
    In all comparisons analyzed, hair loss was reduced by reducing brushing frequency. A subgroup analysis found strong association (p < 0.05) between brushing frequencies and the magnitude of hair loss.
    CONCLUSION:
    Brushing is associated with hair loss. Reducing the brushing frequencies may reduce the amount of hair shed.