Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sort of weird satin pillowcase question?

Length
    23"/23"/39"

Default Sort of weird satin pillowcase question?

OK so here my ignorance of fabrics really shines. I was planning on buying a satin pillowcase for about $8 but then I saw "costume satin" fabric for $2.24 a yard and "charmuese" fabric for $4.49 a yard at Walmart, now both of these fabrics were 100% polyester is there any difference between these fabrics and the "satin" pillowcase I would buy from Sally's? Because for the price of one pillowcase I can purchase enough fabric to make at least two pillowcase......Anyone know anything about fabric? Thanks!

Length
    22APL/28WSL/Class
    Type
    3b/F/i

Default Re: Sort of weird satin pillowcase question?

The pillowcase is probably also 100% polyester. Costume satin can be rough or it can be really nice and soft-- how does it feel in your hand? If it feels super soft & smooth, go for it.

Length
    23"/23"/39"

It felt soft and smooth although the "charmuese" was slipperier if that makes sense.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Charmeuse is typically a softer fabric but still has the satin weave. "Costume satin" is more often acetate than poly but if what you saw is poly you shouldn't have any issues with washing.

I agree with RainbowHawk. Feel them and make sure they are washable. If they feel good to you and you can wash them, go for it.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I love my Sally's satin pillowcase. It's my favorite and I have been using it for a year now. I bought a charmeuse one or w/e the other day, and I don't like it at all. My one from Sally's is much more slippery and stays cooler. I keep the charmeuse one to use as a backup.
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I actually made mine from silk charmeuse so it is super soft, nicely slippery, and doesn't make me sweat like polyester ones do.

Length
    APL/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/F/i

I bought silk pillowcases from Manito. They're really nice but def expensive, about $100 for a pair of standard size. I havent had them long enough to notice a difference in my hair yet. If silk pillowcases are anything like silk clothing you get what you pay for.

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Get whatever feels soft and slippery.

I've been using satin pillowcases for over ten years. I've always gotten mine at WalMart and have always been satisfied except for the last two purchases.

The pair of pillowcases I got about 4 or 5 years ago, just fell apart really quickly, but I did like them while they lasted. The pair I got this summer are not that smooth at all and quite stiff. And they feel like crap to sleep on, so I'm not liking them at all.

I'm thinking of buying my own fabric and getting my MIL to sew a couple of pillowcases for me.
    Shoulder>>>APL >>> BSL >>> WAIST

Length
    21/60/Max
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I've just recently made myself a pillowcase, and it only cost me £1.50 (I'm in England and not sure on the conversion to $). I went to Shepards Bush in London last weekend looking for some fabric for something else when I saw a really nice patturned piece of silky satiny fabric in the remnants bucket, not a pattern I'd wear but for on my bed I liked it. It was a 1 meter piece so I got it back to where I'm staying and cus I don't have my sewing machine with me I sat watching the TV whilst I sewed it by hand.

I have been looking for a satin pillowcase or two to buy, but seeing how good this one has turned out I'm glad I didn't bother. Like RedDevil I havent had it long enough to notice any difference, but hopefully there will be.
    Trying to find my maximum length
    (without the maths)
    https://www.youtube.com/PansPage

Length
    22APL/28WSL/Class
    Type
    3b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
    I bought silk pillowcases from Manito. They're really nice but def expensive, about $100 for a pair of standard size. I havent had them long enough to notice a difference in my hair yet. If silk pillowcases are anything like silk clothing you get what you pay for.
    Indeed. Of course, there are always thrift shops. You can often find decent quality silk & satin shirts in Goodwill, just sew them together, remove buttons, and voila! Pillowcase.
    I'm hoping to grow out my baby-fine curlies. Currently at waist from APL! Yay progress!