View Poll Results: What should i do to the now damaged parts of my hair?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Baby the hair and grow out the damaged parts

    7 14.29%
  • Get 1inch of damage cut off and wear the hair up a lot

    23 46.94%
  • Take the plunge and get the 3-4inch of damage cut off

    14 28.57%
  • I don't know...it's up to you!

    5 10.20%
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ahh my poor hair! advice pleaseee?

  1. #1
    Member Curly_jas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United Kingdoom
    Age
    25
    Posts
    89
    Length
    APL/chin/BSL
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

    Unhappy ahh my poor hair! advice pleaseee?

    Hey guys,

    So i could do with some advice regarding my hair Before i get into it..a little background story, this time last year i had ruined my hair by bleaching the heck outta it and so my curly hair would no longer go curly and i decided last august to just chop off my APL hair to ching length in order to reduce damage and i started my healthy hair journey with no heat/dyes etc and it was going really well my default pic shows a good curly hair day i had some months back, no damaged hair in sight!

    Fast forward to today and it feels like deja vu. This past week i for some crazy reason decided to bleach and dye my hair (i wanted it brown..my hair is originally jet black but was currently growing out a dyed black) and anyways needless to say it has damaged my hair, my hair is not as curly and now my layered APL hair has about 3-4ins of hair that will not revert back to its curly natural state and feels quite dry. Bare in mind my shortest layer is just past ear length and my longest ones are APL. If i plop it and mainipulate it, it will go wavy but that doesn't change the fact it's damage. I tried to nurse my damaged hair back to health last year and it didnt help much so thats not an option.

    I do not like short hair on me, even my current length seems short to me but it's been growing fast which is why i'm in two minds over what to do.

    I don't know if i should just leave it, baby it and grow out the damage and when my hairs longer cut it then. Or i'm thinking to just to the salon tomorrow and have either 1ins cut off or the 3-4ins and just start again and wear my hair up with clips/ hair sticks etc.

    What do you guys think? any thoughts would be appreciated
    Last edited by Curly_jas; August 9th, 2011 at 05:07 AM.
    29/9/13 cut back to Chin length
    Since 10/2013- No heat and wearing hair up

    Excited for this curly journey!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    36
    Length
    19/24.5/WL+
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

    Default Re: ahh my poor hair! advice pleaseee?

    I voted for "Baby the hair and grow out the damaged parts", though I really think "Baby the hair, grow out the damaged parts and wear it up a lot".

    I have similar hair to yours and I, too, hate short hair on myself. I think if you cut it right now you may find it a little discouraging (not least of all because we curlies have to grow A LOT in order for our hair to look long - the springy factor).

    If you baby your hair (maybe try co-washing, do deep conditioning a couple of times a week, etc.) you may be less inclined to impulsively do something like bleach or something else (trust me, I've been there).

    And, keeping it up a lot will also keep you from doing anything impulsive. I also have found a lot of inspiration from the benign neglect thread:
    http://www.longhaircommunity.com/for...ad.php?t=23540

    Your hair looks lovely so you deserve to have it *long* and lovely!

  3. #3
    Member Curly_jas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United Kingdoom
    Age
    25
    Posts
    89
    Length
    APL/chin/BSL
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: ahh my poor hair! advice pleaseee?

    Quote Originally Posted by junkyschristmas View Post
    I voted for "Baby the hair and grow out the damaged parts", though I really think "Baby the hair, grow out the damaged parts and wear it up a lot".

    I have similar hair to yours and I, too, hate short hair on myself. I think if you cut it right now you may find it a little discouraging (not least of all because we curlies have to grow A LOT in order for our hair to look long - the springy factor).

    If you baby your hair (maybe try co-washing, do deep conditioning a couple of times a week, etc.) you may be less inclined to impulsively do something like bleach or something else (trust me, I've been there).

    And, keeping it up a lot will also keep you from doing anything impulsive. I also have found a lot of inspiration from the benign neglect thread:
    http://www.longhaircommunity.com/for...ad.php?t=23540

    Your hair looks lovely so you deserve to have it *long* and lovely!

    Thanks for replying! It seems no one else wanted to hehe. Yeah I totally agree with you though and have actually already decided that i am not going to cut my hair just yet, and shall just grow it out and baby the hair like i already have been.
    Yeah that's exactly what i already do, love co washing, non sulphate shampoos, DC and i've kept my hair up for the most part since last August. I was just bored saw some other curlies with lovely dyed hair (silly i know!) and had a moment of madness and decided to dye it
    I'll deffo check out that thread, and aww thankyou for the compliment
    29/9/13 cut back to Chin length
    Since 10/2013- No heat and wearing hair up

    Excited for this curly journey!

  4. #4
    Member Misti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Age
    63
    Posts
    646
    Length
    11"/41/44
    Type
    2a/F/ii

    Default Re: ahh my poor hair! advice pleaseee?

    Hey, Curly, Jas!

    Have you figured out what inspired you to bleach and dye again when you *knew* what the result would likely be? I suspect that unless you figure that out and find a way around it, you're in for a LOT of deja vu.

    I would recommend that if you have enough hair, you start to wear it up every day and treat it VERY gently. After a few months of oiling the ends and treating it very gently, you'll have a MUCH better idea how much of your hair can really be salavaged. (at APL my super thin hair buns just fine, but if your hair is too thick it might not work.)

    Since you want long hair, I would hate to see you cut off hair unnecessarily. After several months of pampering, your hair is likely to look vastly better. At that point, any hair that is too fragil can be cut off -- maybe an inch every other month, until you have all healthy hair again. If you really can't bear it the way it is, then I'd start now with 1 inch and then do an inch every other month until you like your ends.

    Hair is vitally personal to children. They weep vigorously when it is cut for the first time; no matter how it grows, ~Charles Chaplin

  5. #5

    Default Re: ahh my poor hair! advice pleaseee?

    Exactly HOW damages is it? Is it just dry and frizzy or do you actually have split ends? If you do have a lot of split ends, I suggest you get rid of them and them start with the CO routine (if you're not already on it). I went back to this routine today, because I have the same curls as you. Shampoo and bleach is a big NO NO for that kind of curly hair, I learnt the hard way, ha ha!

  6. #6
    Member Ishje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dutchie in France
    Posts
    1,406
    Length
    16.1/27.16/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii

    Default Re: ahh my poor hair! advice pleaseee?

    well, I would go for a combination of the first and the second.

    cut off about an inch, and then baby your hair until you feel ok with cutting off the other damage.
    wearing up your hair is alway's a good thing
    May 12th 2012, virgin hair back!
    chin, shoulder,apl, bsl, waist, hips,tailbone, classic.
    Waist length expected in May 2015.

  7. #7
    Member stefalupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    There is no 'z' in Boise.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    30
    Length
    Jaw/CB+/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: ahh my poor hair! advice pleaseee?

    If it were me, I would probably just hack off as much as I could stand and resolve not to damage it as much next time.

  8. #8
    Member Curly_jas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United Kingdoom
    Age
    25
    Posts
    89
    Length
    APL/chin/BSL
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: ahh my poor hair! advice pleaseee?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    Hey, Curly, Jas!

    Have you figured out what inspired you to bleach and dye again when you *knew* what the result would likely be? I suspect that unless you figure that out and find a way around it, you're in for a LOT of deja vu.

    I would recommend that if you have enough hair, you start to wear it up every day and treat it VERY gently. After a few months of oiling the ends and treating it very gently, you'll have a MUCH better idea how much of your hair can really be salavaged. (at APL my super thin hair buns just fine, but if your hair is too thick it might not work.)

    Since you want long hair, I would hate to see you cut off hair unnecessarily. After several months of pampering, your hair is likely to look vastly better. At that point, any hair that is too fragil can be cut off -- maybe an inch every other month, until you have all healthy hair again. If you really can't bear it the way it is, then I'd start now with 1 inch and then do an inch every other month until you like your ends.
    Well, I was simply bored and saw some other curly haired girls with such lovely colour and decided i would dye my hair, stupid i know. So no, it's not something i shall continue to do, i definately will not make that silly mistake again. And yes there are many hairstyles i can do, my go to is a high bun. Yeah i agree. I think i shall just baby it, continue with my routine thats been working really well and not resort to cutting loads off just yet then I'll see how my hair is looking in a few months time. Thanks for all the advice


    Quote Originally Posted by CurlAhead View Post
    Exactly HOW damages is it? Is it just dry and frizzy or do you actually have split ends? If you do have a lot of split ends, I suggest you get rid of them and them start with the CO routine (if you're not already on it). I went back to this routine today, because I have the same curls as you. Shampoo and bleach is a big NO NO for that kind of curly hair, I learnt the hard way, ha ha!
    haha gosh i know, bleach is awful. Thing is my hair is super fine but also seems to be very resiliant to damage, it took a lot for my hair to finally say no enough is enough last year and the heat styling and such finally caught up with me! But no i don't think there are many split ends, i think i shall just continue with my routine (which is the CO one) and just never touch hair dyes again. Thanks for the advice!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishje View Post
    well, I would go for a combination of the first and the second.

    cut off about an inch, and then baby your hair until you feel ok with cutting off the other damage.
    wearing up your hair is alway's a good thing
    Thanks for the reply Yeah i think i'm just going to baby my hair, wear it up a lot and see how my hair looks in a few months. Yep gonna have to go back to wearing my hair up a lot, which like you said is actually a good thing
    29/9/13 cut back to Chin length
    Since 10/2013- No heat and wearing hair up

    Excited for this curly journey!

  9. #9
    Member Curly_jas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United Kingdoom
    Age
    25
    Posts
    89
    Length
    APL/chin/BSL
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: ahh my poor hair! advice pleaseee?

    Just an update guys...after deciding i was not going to cut my hair just yet, yesterday i just got the urge to cut most of the damaged parts off. My mum did it for me as she is a trained hairdresser and so now my hair is back to SL, but most of the damage is off, and also i've finally gotten rid of the (unwanted) awful uneven layers a stylist gave me which had been taking ages to grow out. Still got damage on the very top layer of my hair but the rest of my hair hardly any so it definatley looks better
    29/9/13 cut back to Chin length
    Since 10/2013- No heat and wearing hair up

    Excited for this curly journey!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •