Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Thin My Hair at the Salon... is That Bad?

Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Red face I Thin My Hair at the Salon... is That Bad?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions! I'm still a newbie, after all.

Whenever I go in to get a trim (usually every 6 months), I re-layer my hair to encourage wurliness, and I ask the stylist to thin out my hair. I do this, because I have LOTS of thick hair and it is normally very poofy and frizzy. Thinning it out makes it so that it looks like I have less.

(In case for someone who doesn't know, "thinning" is usually done by combing a razor through hair and cutting it out at random. This can also be done with scissors, but it looks more natural with a razor.)

After reading and learning so much on this forum, I'm starting to question everything I do to my poor hair. So I felt like I should ask, is this okay to do? Or rather, is this harmful to my hair?

Any advice, tips, alternatives, and information is greatly welcomed and appreciated!

Sometimes you need to go crazy to stay sane.

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: I Thin My Hair at the Salon... is That Bad?

I don't see anything wrong with thinning out your hair, if that's what you want to do. I'm very much against it for myself, but I don't know how it would hurt your hair. Others may know more about this. Such as are scissors or razors better. (I would guess scissors might be better for your hair?) However, as far as the poofiness goes, thinning can add to the poofy since when those thinned out hairs grow back they could seem poofy/frizzy, whereas if you keep it long (and this takes time) the length will pull the poof down.
    Last edited by prosperina; August 7th, 2011 at 11:27 PM. Reason: typo

Length
    25.5/25.5/30
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Back it the day, the razor on my layers used to shred my hair into splits. I wouldn't let one near my hair.

If you like it, and your hair is healthy and you are happy with it, then I can't see any problem!
    Starting length: 25.5 inches Mini Goal: 30 inches (waist) Goal: 35 inches (hip-ish)
    Time to stop obsessing, and start enjoying my hair! If it grows, so be it.

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I've heard from quite a few members that the diagonal cut of a razor can make your hair more prone to splits. I had my hair razored once (only once!) and it split like crazy while with a blunt cut it will never split. I would check for splits but if you don't have any then I don't see why you should stop.
    There are two types of people in the world; those who play to win and those who play not to lose.

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

It's not good for the hair, but if it works for you and you like it then you don't have to stop if you don't want to it was something I used to like my stylist to do when my hair was much shorter (between chin and shoulder) but I know I had to stop doing it if I want longer healthier hair

Length
    APL/WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

I have thick poofy hair and asked my hair stylist to thin out my hair with the razors and mind you this was 2 years ago. I regretted it ever since because my hair got so many split ends no matter how much i put it up and conditioned it. I use to never get split ends but i def had the worst of split ends. Ever since then i've been growing out the layers and getting a more blunt cut. Feels and looks much better now. I know some people like my mom just love it! So if you like it, why not!

Grow hair grow!
    [I]APL --> BSL --> WL --> TBL

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by christine1989 View Post
    I've heard from quite a few members that the diagonal cut of a razor can make your hair more prone to splits. I had my hair razored once (only once!) and it split like crazy while with a blunt cut it will never split. I would check for splits but if you don't have any then I don't see why you should stop.
    Yes this i heard too, and i noticed it myself too, i really dont understand why my hairdresser made my hair thinner years ago.
    Is your hair really that thick that is its necessary?
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Le gasp! That explains the random split ends. I don't have very many, but I thought it was odd that I had split ends right after a trim.

Oh well, my hair grows out pretty fast (I went from right at shoulder length to a bit past BSL in a year) so I'm not worried. BUT! Is there anything else I can do to make my hair not so... big? xD
    I'm not sure how else to explain that.

Sometimes you need to go crazy to stay sane.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Hi. A hairdresser once told me that with my hairtype (fine, thick, dry, wavy, poofy..), I should not thin my hair like that. It would be hard on the ends, and give a poofy helmet effect.

Things to do is get it layered with "bigger chunks", I think you can get it thinned without the special scissors or razor, but this takes longer, and you probably need to ask espessially for it.

you can also grow it longer so that it gets more weight, and use a lot of moisture (like CO and leave ins) and oils to keep it from poofing as much. I sleep with braids on a satin pillowcase, this reduces friction and keeps my hair in place.

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

My hairdresser told me that curly/wavy hair should never be cut with a razor. Everytime I went to a salon they always told me they were going to "thin out my hair" and I always end up with something I call the "verandah out the back" which means that the top layer at the canopy ends up frizzy and unruly. Now that my hair is all one length it is SO much easier to handle and I think it looks thinner than when they thinned it out, because it sits closer to my head.

However, if you like the result on your own hair - no harm done. You should do what suits you and what you are comfortable with.