Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ACV Rinse?

Default ACV Rinse?

I'm so sorry but the forum isn't letting me do searches for some reason and I need to know how exactly you do a ACV rinse? Do you mix with water? How much? Do you rinse it out? Does the smell stay in your hair? What does it do?

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: ACV Rinse?

It has to be mixed with water or it'll be too harsh. You can experiment with the dilution rate but I usually use 1 tablespoon of vinegar to every 2 cups of water.

You can choose whether to use it as a final rinse or to rinse it out after you're done. Some people said that the smell of vinegar goes away after the hair dries but I've found that it always lingers. Also, some people complained that the smell reappears Shen they get caught in the rain. So I choose to rinse again with water after the vinegar rinse.

The acidic nature of the rinse is supposed to balance your scalp's pH level and it's also supposed to make hair more shiny by making hair cuticles lie flatter I think

Length
    chin/APL/MBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I use white vinegar instead of apple cider, and I find that the scent really disappears after the hair is dried. I use 1 tbs white vinegar in 1 cup (250ml) water. I always do a final rinse with cold water. It's great.

Type
    2a/F/ii

I put one tea spoon of ACV to one glass of water with 2 drops of Rosemary EO (essential oil), I pour that on my scalp and hair then put my hair up for a few minutes, then I rinse it out. The smell doesn't stay for me. It makes my hair shinny, easy to de-tangle and my scalp doesn't itch.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Does your hair have to be totally soaked in the ACV? So every single hair gets stripped? Cause when just throwing some cups over my hair, it feels like I havn't covered all of it..

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Vlientje View Post
    Does your hair have to be totally soaked in the ACV? So every single hair gets stripped? Cause when just throwing some cups over my hair, it feels like I havn't covered all of it..
    I usually mix the vinegar rinse in a small basin of water and dunk my head in there to soak. I'll pour some of the mix over my scalp too several times since it helps with the itchies.

Some people pour it over their head and catch the drips with a basin below, then repeat again a few times. you can figure out something that works better for you. I just like soaking it because I feels that it saturated better since I have thick hair

Length
    SL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Personally, I have a clear squirt bottle that I got from the Walmart kitchen section. It looks like a ketchup bottle like this:

I fill it one part Apple Cider Vinegar and five parts warm water to the top (that's the highest concentration I'll use, sometimes I use less ACV) and then after I've shampoo'd and conditioned to detangle, I'll squirt it over my canopy. I bring my hair over one shoulder and use the ACV rinse there, too. Put my hair under the water for thirty seconds (I don't bother to wash it all out) and then let it air dry.

I realize that 1:5 ratio is high for most people, but my hair likes it. Nice and soft and shiny, never greasy.

Length
    1.5"/40/41.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I just did my first ACV rinse yesterday and found that the scent did linger after my hair dried. I'd say my hair is very soft and I think it is a little shinier than usual. I think I'll rinse it out next time and see if that eliminates the smell.

Length
    9/20.5/waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii

awww all this info is great i was wondering all the same stuff. Im so nervous about trying it i know im a dork lol
    grow hair grow chin... shoulder... APL... bsl... waist...classic...

Sober Lush Extraordinair AnqeIicDemise's Avatar
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

I've tried ACV, WV and RV... WV has come out as the winner.

A few drops of lyang lyang and lavender makes a happy, happy Demise. Sometimes I add some sweet orange instead of lavender. It depends when I'm doing the rinse... day or night..

eye haelp mama kiep londry waerm.
    BSL|WSL | HP | not quite there CL |
    Moonstruck Tresses