Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Oil Removes Oil, How Does it Work to Moisturize Hair in Shampoo?

Default If Oil Removes Oil, How Does it Work to Moisturize Hair in Shampoo?

If jojoba oil or other chosen carrier oil is added to shampoo, does it cling to natural hair oil (sebum) and remove it thus leading to dry hair as it rinses down the drain? Or does it have the ability to both by adding oil (to drier ends) and remove unwanted oil (on our scalp and root area)?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: If Oil Removes Oil, How Does it Work to Moisturize Hair in Shampoo?

Oil removes oil? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Oil removes oil? I don't think so.
    I read this on TLHC. Some people stated that they used oil to wash their face to remove excess oil because oil clings on to oil. I dunno, we'll see what others say.

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

It doesn't remove oil as such, but it clings to and lifts the dirt, and when you rinse it off, the excess oil goes with it. But it still does leave clean oil on your face/hair which the skin/hair will absorb. Hope this makes sense.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Length
    15.5?/Shldr/30-34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

I think it depends on the oil. Jojoba oil is like our skin's natural oils, so I don't think it will remove it. Castor oil might remove some oils, but I'd think it might be drying overall.
    Fast typer.
    I have fine hair that I'm working on growing long!

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

The oil cleansing method (OCM) on the face works pretty well... I don't think you can really do oil cleansing of the hair without ending up with a greasy mess though.

OCM generally utilizes a hot washcloth to remove excess oil at the end of the process, leaving only a small amount of oil (if any) on the skin. Not so feasible to do that on hair.

Type
    2b/2c/F/i

I once tried the OCM on my hair as an experiment. What a greasy mess!

Jojoba oil works perfectly well in the OCM for picking up grease and grime - you don't have to use castor. I personally use grapeseed these days.

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I think the 'oil removes oil' concept is only for skin. I mean, imagine that you spill some oil on your carpet. Pouring more oil in it probably isn't going to help, haha. The skin is a complicated organ that works in strange ways... when applied to the skin, oil DOES dissolve hardened sebum and grime. But I don't think applying oil to your hair will remove your hair's natural oils... almost everyone here oils their hair.

forever waffling between conventional and herbal haircare
    dying roots black with Wella Semi-permanent dye, very occasional heat styling
    currently BSL / 1st goal waist / 1C/m/ii / forever fighting frizz

Quote Originally Posted by pelicano View Post
    I once tried the OCM on my hair as an experiment. What a greasy mess!
    I hope people understand I am curios to know if adding these oils to shampoo either removes precious oils or helps to add it because I wouldn't want to be adding expensive oils to my shampoo to find out they're being rinsed down the drain. What a waste!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    ././.

I think using a shampoo with oils would add the oil to your hair, not take it away, much like how a 2-in-1 shampoo moisturizes and cleans.

But would using a shampoo with fancy oils in it make CWCing redundant?