Page 2 of 442 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Microtrimming and Maintaining Club!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    19/23/36
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Microtrimming and Maintaining Club!

Quote Originally Posted by Rini View Post
    So are you guys doing a self-trim? How do you schedule it? First of every month? Are you just eyeballing the amount you take off or being more precise?
    Hi Rini ! I use a few trimming methods, but for trimming monthly, I cannot use Feye's because I always end up trimming more than I want because I always have to make corrections. So I use "Spring's trimming method" !

1. I brush my hair back, so that it's laying on my back the way I would want the hairs to lay naturally.

2. Starting from the top of my hairline, I use my hands to section my hair into 3 parts as if to make a simple braid. I do this without moving the hair out of position too much.

3. I take one of the side sections, & move the other 2 sections out of the way by placing them over the opposite shoulder. Trying carefully not to bunch the hairs of the section I'm working on, I pull the section down my back with my hands, and when I reach the bottom, I use 2 hair friendly smooth gripper clips (kind of long) to secure the hair and keep it from moving. ( I clip 1 going right to left and the other one I clip going left to right to keep hairs from sliding out of the clip)

4. After that section is secure, I carefully bring it around to the front and trim desired amount.

5. I remove the clips and repeat steps 1-4 on the remaining 2 sections.

This method has given me the ability to make very small trims with better accuracy, that I'm not able to do using other methods. You can use a measuring tape, the black part of my tape is 1/4 inch etc ... I use my fingers to measure (the tips are approximately 1 inch). But generally I eyeball it

I also use Feye's trimming method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quahatundightu View Post

It feels like a thankless task sometimes when you really just want longer hair - it would be good to have some inspiration and progress pics from people!

I have been trimming 1/2cm (1/4") or more each month this year. The difference it has made to my hair is just amazing! I need to take some more recent pics, my hair has got a lot thicker. Being able to see the difference is really encouraging, but it still feels quite annoying when all I want to do is grow.

Anyone else? How often do you microtrim, what are your tips for keeping up motivation?!
    The bolded is exactly how I feel sometimes, but I feel much better now than I did holding on to thin ends. MissManda's thread, progress like yours and some other regular trimmers have been very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by MissManda View Post
    You are all welcome! The aforementioned thread can be found here if anyone is curious.

And thank you, Spring, for mentioning that thread. I take that is a huge compliment! :blush: You made my day!
    You're welcome! That thread came at a time when I knew I was doing the right thing but was floored at the results of long term maintaining
    Last edited by Spring; July 29th, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
    stg: 32 in ltg: 36 in
    Back to APL MBL WL HL TBL

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Don't know why I never saw this thread before. I've been doing this for quite a while. Used to be at BCL, but went back to Waist, and have pretty much been staying there.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

mother of microtrims :P
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Perfect thread for me..

I have been doing this since I started growing .

2005 I started growing out my layers, by 2007 I started microtrimming, made it to upper thigh this way (a tad longer than siggie pic left), had hormone related hair loss (center) and it took me two years to get halfway back to normal (siggie right), now I am losing it again (had a baby).

I may or may not microtrim after. It just depends on how bad I lose hair. I am losing more than last time ,so I might end up trimming it because I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed of being effing patient... never get rewarded anyway.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I'm maintaining at my bob until I can get the black out of my hair, so I can henna it an awesome red... I'll probably be here for a little while. My hair is mostly dark. There's probably an inch and a half or so of red/blonde roots.

~maborosi~

Length
    10/14/26
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Wow, I like it. You know once I grew my hair long and ignored trimming, what happened is that split ends went all the way up more than half of my length, I had to chop it off.
    I'll do the micro trimming method from now on.
    Thanks.

Side question: I love you hair, how do you style it? wet bun? oils?

Length
    Chin/29"/35"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

So I THINK my major shed has finally stopped (thanks to Mahabhringaraj oil!) I did a microtrim this month. What do you guys think? It seems thicker but I don't know how it could thicken that fast...

December 1st 2012

January 1st 2013

My plan is to keep microtrimming until I get to TB and then maintain until it's nice and thick (all the while using my oil every 3 days)
    Last edited by ancilla; February 5th, 2013 at 11:18 AM.

Length
    2"/21"/24"
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

I've been getting 1/2 inch biannual trims every six months (in July and in January - I just got a fresh trim!). I've been avoiding the scissors like the plague and oiling my ends with a small amount of coconut oil every singe day to maintain the elasticity in the ends. I've been keeping this up for two years, but so far it's been working for me. Six months is just about the time it seems to take for my hair to start acquiring that 'crunchy' texture to the very ends.

I just have a quick concern, what if I am continuously having excessive hair falls but my hair is growing pretty good. Is it a good or bad thing? Should I consult a doctor already?

Length
    SL/WL/WL/HL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I'm microtrimming around 1/4 inch each month. I've been going on for two months and so far I'm loving the results

Length
    Birth/TBL/???
    Type
    3b/3c/M/i/ii

quick question for any willing to answer. i am starting to see some damage from my ends that in the past where chemically treated. i am an inch away from classic... i was debating stalling at classic to get rid of the damage...i need some opinions... does this help in the long run? do you trim a set amount or do you get dustings? my hair type is curly with layers any other advice or experiences welcome looking forward to your responses!!!
    ~Trying to find that perfect length~
    ~Nobel Title: la piccola donna dei lunghi capelli ricci dal bosco~
    (In Italian)