Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home made protein treatment vs hydrolyzed protein

Default Re: Home made protein treatment vs hydrolyzed protein

the extra silk has dimethicone unfortunately. i am not aware of any strong protein treatment without cones and there, again, my question if home made treatments can penetrate the hairshaft, or are they proteins really too big to enter the cuticle.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question but I'll be following this thread.
    My hair likes proteins and I've just thought why I never tried soy yogurt instead of regular animal products... Will there be a significant difference?
    My hair likes eggs but can't bare much, it builds-up too fast, I think. Proteins make me more wurly and less ropey, as a rule. I never used a commercial product, haven't seen anything labeled as protein treatment. Maybe I haven't looked well enough. (I live in EU)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    APL/APL/trmnl
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I have put soy yogurt in my hair and it was nice and soft afterwards... Never used milk yogurt.

Length
    apl/waist/tbone
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jaquelines View Post
    I was wondering if they are any really benefits regarding the protein intake from homemade protein treatments vs commercial products containing hydrolyzed protein.
    From what I have read, the protein itself is too big as a molecule to be absorbed by the hair. Besides coconut oil, who has a smaller fracture, there are no other natural products containing protein that could really penetrate the hair shaft.
    What is your opinion ? I need some protein treatment and I was wondering if it is worth to do all the work ( on a regular basis ) while I could buy a product like aphogee, ore joico.
    I have found this link on internet and reading also other stuff from the same blogger I am wondering if there is any real beenfit from the home made ones, or if a commercial product containing hydrolyzed protein is a better choice for the protein.

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/...t-2-of_03.html

another quote from the same blogger :

"The protein part of eggs (egg white/egg albumin) has a molecular weight of approximately 33000- 40000 (The Journal of Biological Chemistry, pg 189-193, 1939). I can't find a reference for hydrolysed egg albumin size but I would strongly suspect that this molecular weight is too large to be beneficial. "
    Just so you know, coconut oil does not contain protein. I think coconut milk does, but not coconut oil. It is an oil, so it is composed of fatty acids, which due to their size can penetrate the hair shaft and reduce the protein loss, but it is not a protein treatment by itself.
    Anyway, I think I read somewhere on this board that since soy sauce is made of hydrolyzed soy, it would be a good alternative to commercial protein treatments.

Type
    2c/F/M/ii

why Don't you buy some pure keratin? I am sure you can find online. Mine I get from friends in Brazil (and no is not the straightening treatment, is 100% keratin) Is easy to mix with some other stuff you are sure has no cones and mineral oil. I have 100% pure keratin I can spray on my hair, or just mix with something.
    The treatments protein based are mostly with cones and oils unfortunatelly (like the aphogee products I love). I don't mind using 3 times a month it because I use SLeS shampoo so I can wash it out.
    Last edited by LunaMoon; July 23rd, 2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: making myself clear
    CO, Coconut Oil and Shea Butter. Goal: TB

@Lemur_Catta thank you, i wasn´t aware of that ( soy sauce ) . yeah, i got something wrong with the coconut oil. i new it penetrate the hair shaft, but i´ve msised that is not a protein treatment, but moisture treatment.

@LunaMoon - I had no idea that you can actually "buy" it and simply add it.I was looking on internet and besides Wella´s kit couldn´t find anything and is not having its ingredients listed..

Quote Originally Posted by whitestiletto View Post
    I have put soy yogurt in my hair and it was nice and soft afterwards... Never used milk yogurt.
    I don't eat it, so I never tried it. Will see tomorrow I used to like milk for its somewhat drying properties. Now I wonder what soy milk would do to it. I should give a try at soy products.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

You are trying to answer the same question that has been buzzing around my brain recently, unfortunately I am not sure there is a simple answer! The quoted sentence "animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coat the hair and create residual build-up" is nonsense, which calls into question the validity of the entire article you read.

IMO size is not everything: it's all very well having molecules small enough to penetrate the hair shaft, but they also need to be large enough not to be washed right out again, and/ or to have the right balance of hydrophilic and hydrophobic groups on the surface of the molecule, and/ or be able to chemically bond with the hair itself, and/ or for the formulation and application method to provide the right conditions for the hair cuticle to lift.

Henna colouring is permanent because it chemically bonds to the hair, commercial dye can be permanent because small molecules enter the hair and are then chemically altered to larger ones, the coconut oil shampoo method is semi-permanent because of the alkaline surfactant and incompatibility of oil with water. I'm not suggesting these are all protein treatments BTW just analogous.

You also need to know what concentration or relative quantity of protein is optimum. Coconut oil is a mix of fats not proteins, avocado is ~3% protein but 30% fat, an egg is ~12% protein and ~15% fat, soy sauce contains salt, sugar and vinegar - so any benefits cannot be attributed to protein content. If you are only interested in tiny molecules then try an amino acid preparation, as AAs are the building blocks of every protein. I suspect they will wash right back out again tho.

Although I can't back this up with evidence, I suspect few protein treatments can permanently repair or provide lasting structural support for the hair shaft. Many proteins are easily denatured (structurally and therefore functionally altered) by heat or a change in pH, both of which are commonplace in beauty product formulation and hair care. Think how 'strong' the chemicals for a curly perm or relaxer are, or how much concentrated heat is required for a flat iron to temporarily straighten even fairly loose wurls. Also how little heat is required to cook an egg or acid required to curdle milk, and how difficult it is to reverse that.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Boy, Firefox7275, now you really got me confused. It's very interesting for me to get all this information and see where some theories from the other article might be wrong.
    But what's the bottom line? That even a comercial treatment might not have better results than a home one protein 'salad' ?
    Isn't it so, if I go by due drawing in the article, that a molecule must be small enough to find her away between the cuticle layers? So that it can at least temporary function as a 'patch' for the missing/broken area. Like penetrating from inside and not just cover from outside?

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jaquelines View Post
    Boy, Firefox7275, now you really got me confused. It's very interesting for me to get all this information and see where some theories from the other article might be wrong.
    But what's the bottom line? That even a comercial treatment might not have better results than a home one protein 'salad' ?
    Isn't it so, if I go by due drawing in the article, that a molecule must be small enough to find her away between the cuticle layers? So that it can at least temporary function as a 'patch' for the missing/broken area. Like penetrating from inside and not just cover from outside?
    Sorry! Organic chemistry/ cosmetic science really is not my field as I work in healthcare, so there is some dangerous educated guessing going on within that waffle! Yes, I think the protein needs to be small enough to penetrate but large enough not to escape ... I suspect the size range varies from person to person due to differences in porosity etc. I can't find any research on topical application of kitchen proteins but that is to be expected - most foodstuffs don't neatly divide into protein or carbohydrates or fat, plus commercial companies are never going to want to prove an egg is better than their $20 miracle.

For myself I have concluded firstly that experimentation is needed (no sh1t Sherlock). Secondly that the most likely treatment to be of benefit is hydrolysed protein with a short-chain saturated fat, to repair the hydrophobic layer and hold the protein in or on my hair through a few washes. In order to achieve this I've ordered some commercial protein products, which I intend to use alongside coconut oil unless I find a decent source of 18-MEA. I've tried to choose products with as few ingredients as possible - no 'cones or mineral oil - so I can actually see their effect of the protein. Not really sure if you class that combination as commercial or home grown salad?
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.