Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flexi-8 or Ficcare?

Length
    30.5/?/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Default Flexi-8 or Ficcare?

My mom just said that she'd buy me one expensive hairtoy (our standard for expensive=not Claire's quality/price). I have hairsticks, and haven't really seen any hair forks I like, so I'm thinking Flexi-8 or Ficcare. But I have absolutely no fashion sense, and the sizing help on their sites doesn't really help me, so I'm hoping you can.

My hair down. My ponytail is ~5 inches in circumference.

My hair in a bun; the diameter is somewhere between 4 and 5 inches.

I'm planning to grow to at least BCL, maybe terminal, if it makes a difference in your recommendations. So, what style/size/color should I get?

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Flexi-8 or Ficcare?

Okay, well frankly, if it were me I would ask for the ficcare in a large. (Mostly cuz if Mom is buying I would splurge and go for the more expensive.) As far as the size I would think a large ficcare would do well in your hair.

If you decide to go for the Flexi-8 I would try and extra large. I have a large and I think it would be too small to hold a bun for you. (It is getting a little snug on me and I don't have near the hair that you do.)

I hope you enjoy your new toy either way!! Hope that helps!
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

Length
    APL/MBL/Hip?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Ficcare! Then I can be jealous of you. I am hoping that Santa will bring me one
    Passionate about puny ponytails

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Ficcares do have quite a bit of a learning curve - it takes a while to understand how to get it to hold a bun and also how to remove it without getting hair caught in the spring (there was a thread about how Ficcares never worked out for some). Also, for your thickness and length, I would recommend getting a ficcare in large but personally I found the large too heavy and unwieldy The weight of the Ficcare pulls apart my updos within the hour, so I usually stick to a medium with center held buns but I'm growing out of it.

The Flexi on the other hand holds like a rock and it is extremely easy to use. If you have used hairsticks before then you shouldn't have problems with a Flexi. However the issue with Flexi is getting the size right - it's not a one size fits all type of hair toy. I use a mega Flexi for full regular buns, a XL for center held buns, a large for folded braids, and a medium for ponytails. Having a toy that's too large doesn't help to hold the bun and a size that's too small doesn't fit the style that you want either.

That being said, if you can only choose one and you are open to swapping or selling in case your toy doesn't wok for you then I suggest going with the Ficcare. At least you get a chance to try it out first and if it doesn't work, you can swap for more Flexis since the Flexis are cheaper.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I hope something in there was helpful to you. Also, my hair is about the same length as yours but 4.25" in thickness. Hopefully that helps you somewhat with the sizing
    Last edited by Sundial; July 21st, 2011 at 11:20 PM.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I suggest a large Ficcare, either a maximas or a ficcarrisimo. I find them much more versatile and a better hold. The learning curve was pretty nonexistant for me actually and I find they match outfits better and look more formal when needed.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    33/74/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

If you have a Nordstrom nearby, you might be able to try on a Ficcare and see how you like it (it did not work for me). There are not many real-life opportunities to try on Flexi-8's without buying them, unfortunately. My hair is not as thick as yours (about 4.25 to 4.5 inch pony circumference) but longer, and I use a medium flexi for half-ups (a small will also work if I put less hair in the half-up), a large for ponytails, an XL for narrower updos, and a mega for regular buns. There are tons of styles to choose from -- look on the main Flexi-8 site and Lilla Rose and I'm sure you will find something you like.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I have one large Ficcare and I find it uncomfortably heavy. If that might be an issue for you, go for an XL Flexi.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    waist/TB/long

I say get a Ficcare in size large, as your hair looks quite thick. The Flexis are okay, but can tend to get caught in the hair. I like my one and only Ficcare much better.

Length
    30.5/?/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Ficcare Maximas it is! Color suggestions? I want either solid (with or without border) or Lotus, but again, I have no fashion sense at all so I don't know what would look good on me. (No, really, I mean it.)

My glasses and most jewelry I wear (when I wear it) are silver. Would it look okay if I got one of the Ficcares with gold accents (which most of them seem to be), or do silver and gold clash?

I don't know what color your hair is but if you wear silver toned glasses daily, I would suggest a silver Primavera. It looks like gorgeous jewelry and silver or gold or something that is very close in color to your hair seem like safe choices that would get the most use. I haven't bought my first nice hair toy yet but personally mine is going to be a Ficarre probably in silver, gold, or black and gold Primavera.

Never mind, I just realized I could see the pictures now! On your hair the gold would look nice! I don't think silver and gold clash if you are mixing metals elsewhere. How about the honey marble one in the classic collection?
    Last edited by kidari; July 22nd, 2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added more