Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Casualty Curiousity

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Hair Casualty Curiousity

The other night I went out to a cookout and let my hair down. Normally I keep it in braids because it currently resembles Medusa's snakey hair. Anywho I had some long dangly earrings on and within an hour my hair had tangled around the earring and I had to run into the bathroom to inspect the situation. Unfortunately I couldn't save the hairs

About twice or three times a month I have some sort of hair casualty, whether it be knots, hair being pulled out accidentally, jewelry, etc.. Even though I try to treat my hair well it seems inevitable. So I started thinking if I was the only one with hair casualties? Do you get them too and if so how often do you get them a week or month?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Hair Casualty Curiousity

Jewelry type makes a BIG difference. I've stretched my ears and now have a bunch of twisty one-piece 12g stuff, which at most hooks my hair and untwists again easily. Also, I can wear earrings again because the gauged metals are better than anything I got for normal pierced ears.

I haven't worn necklaces with clasps much in the last few years, but I know that a number of people here either re-string their pendants with ribbon, or get short sections of clear fishtank tubing to slide over clasps after necklaces are fastened. Both drastically reduce the hair-eating.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    ??/32/??
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

If I use an elastic, there will be casualties. When I detangle, there will casualties. Hair barrettes etc. Casualties. When I forget and leave the window down in the car, casualties. Roll my hair up in the car window, get it caught in the door. I use to wear it layered and I'd have it thinned about twice a year. Its been awhile since I've needed any thinning since I began to let the layers grow out. I know I kill a lot of hair so I'm darn curious as to how long it can get in spite of all that.

I'm so sorry that happened to you . Personally I'm so afraid of hair casualties usually I'm very careful. I'm obsessed, when my hair reaches BSL I start carrying around scissors or even sharp nail clippers because if anything happens to the ends of my hair: I find a split end or it gets tangled and needs to be carefully cut out I need to do it right then and there or else I freak out lol. Once I was out running errands and I found a split end and held it in my hand until I asked the florist in the grocery store if I could borrow her scissors for a second and she was like omg I totally understand I'm like that too . I used to wear necklaces a lot when my hair was much shorter but now I only wear them when my hair is up because I don't want it to snag or get tangled. I'm thinking preventative measures are key.

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I don't wear jewellery casually (if only some simple wooden or small metal earrings which don't attack any parts of me) but just yesterday a baby with a strong grasp unrooted a good chunk of my fringe during a stay-happy war.

I sat there for a good 3 minutes staring at the dozen-or-so strands in my hand wondering if I had a bald, red spot on my hairline or not.
    Last edited by Tiina; July 15th, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I stopped wearing necklaces to save my new hairs on the back from tangling there. Sad, poor fellows. Never had a chance.

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I am careful what jewelry I wear, and am very careful with my hair so I don't have too many casualties. Some small simple hoops that don't get caught on everything, a simple thin chain and I usually wear my hair up. When I don't I'm careful about the clasp and careful about my hair, keeping it smoothed underneath by laying it over my shoulder or finger combing if needed to keep it detangled. I think it actually gets easier to keep hair out of trouble as it is longer because you just have to, so you have good habits. However, wearing it up is the key for me.

That said, one of my most memorable hair-related moments was when my Flexi popped open when I was on a rollercoaster.....

I paint for a living and sometimes I will get paint in my ends and it does a tone of damage!!!!

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

My hair is fine and delicate. I break some hair every time I detangle it. Nevermind doing anything fancier. It's not anything to get heartbroken over, just remember the mistake and try to do better the next time.

These days, it's pretty rare for me to wear my hair down. I did for Passover, and I sometimes will run to the local coffeeshop with my hair down because they're a whole block away. But even that last... my hair will be up before the day is out.

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

My indistructa-hair means that even though I occasionally get tangled with things, I can usually get my hair out without losing it. I am careful, though, about earrings. I'm usually more worried about damaging my admittedly sensitive ears than I am about a strand or two of hair.
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus