Thread: Henna Recommendations?

Length
    Pixie/BSL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Question Henna Recommendations?

I'm finally going to try henna and I'd really like some input from all the seasoned veterans that hang out in this forum!

This may or may not be possible, but I would really like my first time doing a full-head application of henna to be my only time. I love my curls; as my hair gets longer the curl pattern loses shape and I would really like to keep it as intact as possible. I'm very concerned about henna loosening my curls! My hair is dark brown--some have confused it for black, which I've never understood--and does have natural red highlights and individual red strands. Because of the dark color, I'm worried that one application of a type of henna that doesn't have a dark stain will not be enough, forcing me to do more applications. Applications, which, of course, will loosen my curl pattern. Also, although I know amla will help retain curl, it also affects the color of the henna in a way that I'm not interested in.

Basically, I want which ever henna that has the best stain pay-off in one application. Rajasthani seems to be my best bet, but I don't really know. I would REALLY appreciate some henna experts input.

Thanks, everyone!!
    Pixie--Chin--SL--BSL--Waist--Hip--Tailbone--Classic

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Henna Recommendations?

Sometimes people have trouble with curl loosening. I have only noticed it for the first day or two following a henna, personally. After that everything is back to normal.

My question for you is, what are you going to do about your roots? Especially if you only want to do it once. I have very dark hair and henna only shows up very nominally. What color are you shooting for? Different hennas stain more red and some stain more orange what final color are you wanting?

Right now I usually use Yemeni (because of it's cherry red tones) or Celebration because it has a high dye content. I have heard that the Celebration supply has run out though. Mehandi usually has the Lawsone content listed, so I suppose that for your purposes the higher the better.

I will give the general warning though. This stuff is NOT coming out without scissors so be really sure and do strand tests!!
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

Length
    Pixie/BSL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Hmm, the color question is a good one. I've already figured that, like you mentioned, henna is not going to change my already dark hair color overly much. I suppose it could be darker, but not by much. I really just want to be able to tell a difference in sunlight. I guess that means I want a redder stain versus a more orangey stain. I think I liked Yemeni when I was looking before, but that's impossible to get at the moment. And, I think you're right about the Celebration. Rajastani has a beautiful deep red stain on skin, but I don't know how that translates to hair.

Length
    22/22.5/36
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

If you don't want to commit to re-applying, you don't want a drastic colour change and you don't want it to loosen your curl pattern, I'd stay away from it!! Seriously, I'm going through a LOT of product/process trying to get rid without cutting, and I think I'm losing the battle. Just my opinion.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

While it is true I don't want curl loosening, I never said anything about not wanting color. I do want color, but I won't get a drastic change since my hair is quite dark. I guess I wasn't terribly clear; sorry for any confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by Nae View Post
    My question for you is, what are you going to do about your roots? Especially if you only want to do it once.
    I forgot to address this in my last response. I don't mind doing roots. I know myself, I know I'll probably let it go for 3-6 months at a time and I'm okay with that. I don have any lighter patches or grays yet so it probably won't be all that obvious in my everyday life that I have roots. My only issue is re-apply to my entire head. I hope I'm like you and don't notice a change in curl pattern. If that happens I won't care about applying to my whole head.

In the vein of curl loss, do you know if alma will change the color if it's applied after the henna?

A friend of mine hennas her hair every six months or so. I never see a demarcation line on her. Maybe because she doesn't do it very often.

I've personally just hennaed over my permed hair and didn't notice any change whatsoever in curl pattern, but have read that natural curlies may experience some curl loosening.

However, most times the curl loosening is temporary (lasting a week or two) before going back to normal, if I'm not mistaken.

However, to err on the side of caution, an amla treatment will help you get your bounce back. You should certainly do it separately from the henna, and as long as you don't leave it on for too long (perhaps an hour?) it shouldn't affect the colour of your hair

As for colour payoff, Hennasooq's Red Raj. has the highest lawsone content of the hennas available at the moment, and will yield a gorgeous red that leans towards burgundy- I've just used it, and can vouch for the colour

However, do bear in mind that henna is a translucent stain and so can only darken, not lighten your hair colour.

So if your hair is a very dark brown, don't expect anything near vibrant red- especially with only a single application, at best you will probably get a russet brown that shines red under sunlight.