Thread: Using beet juice to color hair

Length
    dunno/40 in/dunno
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Using beet juice to color hair

So, has anyone tried it? I'm curious about it... my hair is a very deep chestnut/dark brown, and I'd like to get a reddish tint to it, but naturally, and I heard that beet juice can do that. Just looking for any stories or tips/tricks to it. Thanks
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are on backorder yet

Length
    27.5/??/31
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Default Re: Using beet juice to color hair

I've tried using beet juice to dye wool? It's not really the same thing I know, but I boiled fresh beets, soaked the wool in the resulting mess, and set it with vinegar and salt. I was really disappointed with how quickly the color faded.
    Lady Xantho, Daughter of Puck - in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I've done it before. What I did was open a can of beets (not pickled lol) and poured the juice in a bowl and stuck my hair in it and kept pouring it over my hair with a cup. Then I let it dry on my hair.

It did give a little color, but it smelled weird, not bad just weird!!! When I went to rinse it out later most of the color came out and the next wash all came out.

But I have dark hair with a few silvers - the color didn't even stick to the silver after washing.

It does work as long as you leave it on though - but it rubs off on clothing, skin etc. - especially when drying.
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Technicolour Pug Lover pink.sara's Avatar
    Length
    42/26/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

I used henna mixed with beetroot and blueberries to give me purple hair last year. It made my whole head purple and faded to just burgundy henna after about 2 months but while it lasted it was a stunning colour. (Pics on my page.)
    Never had any lasting colour from just beet juice though. It just made a mess and washed out in a few washes on it's own.

I'd be interested if anyone could make it work though!

Brand New Redhead

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

For some strange reason, this got me thinking about using red cabbage juice. I wonder if hair stained with it would change color depending on product pH?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Beet juice alone won't do much at all. From reading lots about natural dying, beetroots are terribly disappointing vegetables - despite their gorgeous colour the dye they give is very poor and if you do manage to get the colour to stick to anything it will very quickly fade as it is not at all light-fast.

Red cabbage might be a better choice if you're trying for an easily obtainable red natural dyestuff ... although I believe that is also not very light-fast.