Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

SavedByGraceThroughFaith JadedByEntropy's Avatar
    Length
    52/48/52
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Quote Originally Posted by katydid317 View Post
    I did my second wash yesterday and remembered the ACV rinse and it made such a big difference! I'm very happy so far. My hair is soft and a little fluffy. Not frizzy exactly, just lighter feeling. It feels nice but the down side is that I can see all kinds of new growth short hair fluffing up everywhere. Although I can't really complain about growth! I can see my hair being very happy long term, but so far my scalp is still feeling a little itchy. I'm hoping that it will adjust not not using the itchy scalp head & shoulders.

Is there any special difference about lemon juice instead of ACV? I've used white vinegar in the past and I know that works for me too. I'm just wondering if there is any point to trying different acids if I know vinegar works.
    lemon juice bleaches with the sun. so be careful. I'd stick to what works

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JadedByEntropy View Post
    lemon juice bleaches with the sun. so be careful. I'd stick to what works
    Seems like a good plan!

I couldn't hold off washing today because I was so sweaty all night at work, so I added a drop of peppermint eo to my ACV rinse and I know I can just smell the peppermint. I'm so happy with having switched and I'm only 3 washes in. I've been browsing the CVS website too and oh man. This could become anot addiction!

Edited to add: I also measured my ponytail tonight and I got 1/4 of an inch thicker than a few days ago before I used the shampoo bar. Does using soap vs detergent make your hair plump up or is it maybe that soap residue coats the strands a bit? My hair feels fluffier, still soft and smooth and silky but is a little more voluminous. This is the kind of difference I was hoping for. My hair seems pretty happy.
    Last edited by katydid317; August 18th, 2017 at 11:30 PM.

Length
    12/TBL!!/???
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I'm ordering up a few samples from CV today...I'd love to go more natural with hair care, and the idea of fewer bottles cluttering up the shower is very tempting...I already do ACV rinses (when I'm being good) after every wash, and my hair loves them. Am I crazy? Am I getting in over my head? Have I been sick for a week, leading to somewhat impaired judgement? I know the answer to one of those questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    Lots of Canadians enjoy vinegar on the fries (often malt, but white is common too) and I just can't. Nope, nope, nope. No cleaning fluid on my fries please!
    Incidentally, vinegar on fries is somewhat popular here in Maine, too, especially at fairs. We also like to put vinegar on cucumbers and cabbage!

Temporary goal: Classic, Final goal: To infinity and beyond!!
    currently at TBL, pressing on and hoping for Classic before I'm 20

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofHaleth View Post
    Incidentally, vinegar on fries is somewhat popular here in Maine, too, especially at fairs. We also like to put vinegar on cucumbers and cabbage!
    There's a cucumber salad someone in family makes that's thinly sliced cucumbers in a vinegar/sour cream dressing. It's so good. So weird sounding though.

So all, a question about acid rinses. I find my hair getting greasy faster aservice I keep going with the ACV rinse. I've cut back so I'm using a tsp of vinegar to my jar of water, I'm not sure how much more I can cut back, but I'm assuming that's what's making my hair greasy? Is there another acid rinse that's less likely to make my hair greasy? Is white vinegar a little different from ACV? On the plus side, my scalp is not feeling itchy like it was at first so that's a plus. Makes me feel like I'm going in the right direction.

Length
    Pixie/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Others with more experience may disagree, but my daughter's hair took a couple weeks to adjust. Her hair got very greasy, like her scalp was overproducing sebum because it had not yet realized that it wasn't being stripped as badly anymore. Then it calmed down. from my understanding, how long it takes for your body to adjust is individual.
    Pix~Bob~CBL~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBL~Waist~Hip~TBL~CL...We'll see
    WO/SO due to scalp hating EVERYTHING! Slowly regrowing from a massive shed and trimming often to keep the ends healthy.

Length
    28/39/44
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

I agree with pili. It's going to take a while for your scalp to decrease its sebum production. I can't imagine vinegar would cause greasiness.

HeartofHaleth, you are not in over your head! Just know that shampoo bars are different, and you may need to adjust your method a few times before you get it right. Don't feel dejected if your hair doesn't feel or look perfect right away. I've found that shampoo bar usage and results only get better over time.

A little update from me: I haven't use conditioner for the past two washes (washing once a week). I still have a bottle of conditioner to use up, but I couldn't find one that fits my values (protein-free, silicone-free, vegan, cruelty-free, natural, eco-friendly/plastic-free, etc.) and works well, so I think I'm going to cut it. Before I came to LHC, I actually wasn't using conditioner with my shampoo bars, and then I slowly started incorporating it back into my routine; I found my HG, but it wasn't cruelty-free and that's now a deal breaker.

Not sure if this belongs in the shampoo bar thread, except that it's ultimately shampoo bars that lead me down this simpler journey. Right now I'm shampoo bar + ACV (soon to be switching to citric acid) and oils for slip/DTs as needed.
    MBL | WL | HL | TBL | HL | TBL | CLSSC(?)

Length
    Chin/Cbl/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by katydid317 View Post
    There's a cucumber salad someone in family makes that's thinly sliced cucumbers in a vinegar/sour cream dressing. It's so good. So weird sounding though.

So all, a question about acid rinses. I find my hair getting greasy faster aservice I keep going with the ACV rinse. I've cut back so I'm using a tsp of vinegar to my jar of water, I'm not sure how much more I can cut back, but I'm assuming that's what's making my hair greasy? Is there another acid rinse that's less likely to make my hair greasy? Is white vinegar a little different from ACV? On the plus side, my scalp is not feeling itchy like it was at first so that's a plus. Makes me feel like I'm going in the right direction.
    Try to rinse only the ends not the roots. The ends need the conditioning. My experience supports your view and other ACV-users have commented the same in other forums.
    Minimal hair care, hybrid/natural products/WO, avoid heat and extra handling

Type
    1b/F/ii

Thanks all! I tried lemin juice today just to try something different but next time I use ACV I will just dip the length in it instead of pouring it over my head. Otherwise this could also just be transition for me. I assumed because my first couple washes were good I was going to skip any kind of transition. One thing I like so far about the lemon juice is the smell. My shampoo bar is rosemary lavender and cedar and the lemon juice complemented that nicely and left some of the shampoo scent in my hair.

I've been using shampoo bars for about 5-6 months and just recently got my routine fully figured out. Lol I had been trying weekly washes but my oil production was just too much so now I wash every five days and just my front part on the 3rd day because it touches my face so much and the rest with a water wash. After I just dump peppermint oil in a big glass of water over my head and rinse with cold. I had been doing a vinegar rinse with my water washes and realized it was making it oily/greasy looking but just the peppermint makes it smell really good in-between my wash day. :]

My mom has been making me shampoo bars and they work wonderfully. My hair has gotten soft especially the new hair growth that hasn't had any heat damage. I love shampoo bars, before my hair was never soft or shiny. I have new hair growth too. Peppermint shampoo bars are my favorite. I'm addicted to peppermint. Lol

Oh yeah I had been using too much vinegar before so just one capful in an 8 oz glass and I dump that over the top. Then I put 2 capfuls in and dip my ends in and then pour it on the bottom half of my hair. Of course a few drops of peppermint oil with the vinegar rinse to make it smell yummy and it increases hair growth.